The Student Room Group

If I have a medicine offer, what should I be doing during this time?

Scroll to see replies

I’m due to begin studying Medicine this October at Imperial College London. I’ve been on a gap year for the past year and I’d like to do some preparation before I begin, especially considering that I haven’t had much contact with the subject during this time, apart from occasionally going through some A Level Biology content. What kind of preparation would be most useful do you think (e.g. which parts of the Bio/Chem A Levels would be most relevant to first year material)? Also, I heard something about a science guide that Imperial sends out prior to the start of term. When would that be provided and could someone briefly go through what’s included?

Thanks.
Original post by andreasz
I’m due to begin studying Medicine this October at Imperial College London. I’ve been on a gap year for the past year and I’d like to do some preparation before I begin, especially considering that I haven’t had much contact with the subject during this time, apart from occasionally going through some A Level Biology content. What kind of preparation would be most useful do you think (e.g. which parts of the Bio/Chem A Levels would be most relevant to first year material)? Also, I heard something about a science guide that Imperial sends out prior to the start of term. When would that be provided and could someone briefly go through what’s included?

Thanks.

You don't need to prep. They start at the beginning :smile:
Reply 42
Hi :smile: I'm meant to be starting a medicine course at Leeds in September (fingers crossed I get the grades!!) but I just want to get up to speed with some content. Does anybody know any good websites/books I can have a look at that will set the foundation for the medicine course? Thank you!
Honestly I'd just relax until you start university, there's not long left and once you do begin you'll regret not chilling when you could have😂😂😂😂
I was stressing all the way through first year and just wish I hadn't, when all my proper work and exam preparation was about 3 months leading up to the exams. First year is probably the least stressful year we could have, don't burn out during it friends.
i can vouch for what @ultimateradman said!

It's so easy to think oh I need to prepare this and that but actually Medicine is not a sprint, it's a marathon. You gradually build up the skills each year. Try and not to make the mistake of thinking you need to know EVERYTHING in the space of a year (I did this during first year and my god was it stressful). Go at it at the pace of the University, trust that they know what they are doing and sure if you are really interested in a topic then go ahead and research some more, but if you find that you are getting overwhelmed then slow down!

Remember the habits you build during medical school may stay throughout your career as a doctor, so if you don't learn to have some time for yourself, this will continue on until you burn out .. it is inevitable. Been there, done that and learnt the hard way :frown:

If anyone has any questions about maintaining work life balance then do get in touch!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George's
Reply 45
I'm currently on a gap year, sitting the autumn 2020 A level exams and reapplying to medicine courses in the UK.

Since after the exams are over, I won't have any compulsory learning to do, I'm a bit worried about losing some of my scientific literacy or similar while waiting for uni to start. I am planning on doing volunteering and working during my gap year, but I would like to do some pre-reading for Medicine as well.

Can anyone recommend any textbooks or introductions that would be readable for someone who can't access lecturers or anything for help?

In the other threads I've seen people recommend Gray's Anatomy and the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, but if you have any other recommendations I would really appreciate them.
Reply 46
I've just received my results for the Autumn series of A levels after needing a retake and, after receiving better grades than I needed, the Uni that deferred me has accepted me. I'm in the unique position where I have a full 8 months of nothing before med school in September does anyone have any ways I could take full advantage of this time to hit the ground running in my first year (reading, sites, anything I may want to know)?
Reply 47
Thank you very much
Hi all,
I have my A-level chemistry and biology revision guides, would I need to keep these for medical school or should I sell them?

TIA!
Sell them - you won't need them! :smile:
Even if an A level concept (eg, action potentials) comes up it will usually be quickly re-explained or you can google it.
Original post by becausethenight
Sell them - you won't need them! :smile:
Even if an A level concept (eg, action potentials) comes up it will usually be quickly re-explained or you can google it.

Fab, thanks!!!
:biggrin:
Reply 51
Hi, I didn’t do a-level biology and am studying medicine next year - are there any suggestions of what to go over / catch up on before starting the course?
Reply 52
Thank you so much ! :smile:
Original post by R_01234
Hi, I didn’t do a-level biology and am studying medicine next year - are there any suggestions of what to go over / catch up on before starting the course?

Also would point out that your med school will expect however many of its Freshers to have not done A level bio, and will plan to get everyone to the same level in the first term/year, so don't worry too much about needing to learn it! :wink:
Hi everyone!
I’m going to uni in September for Medicine and I have achieved grades so I don’t have any exams to prep for. As a result, I have quite a lot of time free. Any suggestions of what to do during this ?
Maybe you could look for online courses? There seem to be quite a lot of free university run ones out there.
Original post by sqiddy747
Maybe you could look for online courses? There seem to be quite a lot of free university run ones out there.

I tried coding but it’s too boring for me.
I’m currently exploring a course on psychology from edx
Thanks
Original post by DogeTheDoggo
I tried coding but it’s too boring for me.
I’m currently exploring a course on psychology from edx

It might be boring - potentially an incredibly useful skill though! And I hate to break it to you, but a lot of med school is boring :tongue:

But yeah read the rest of the thread for broader views.
I start medical school this September And I want to start getting ahead and reading over material I may come across in the first year, can anyone recommend me anything to read/ do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending