The Student Room Group

Psychology at Uni - Ask me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marni_
How exciting! Yeah I know what you mean about entry grades, it's normal to want the best that you can get. What I will say though, is that course content and area really do matter too. Of course go for top uni's if you can, but when deciding between them, don't just go on prestige. I did this my first time round and ending up leaving to move to UCL because the uni wasn't right for me, which cost me time and money (I was deffo drawn in by their league table positions).
That sounds like you've got a plan! My best friend is aiming to become an educational psychologist, so I know a bit about the entry requirements. It's a competitive doctorate but you would be in good stead with teaching experience. She's a TA whilst doing a masters part time to get both another degree and experience, but you're right, it doesn't necessarily require a masters. It's a big commitment to become a teacher, with the PGCE, NQT year and all the stresses teachers have, when you won't be doing it for too long, so do consider TA roles or similar as well, as the experience is just as useful when applying.
I think there is some stigma around Psychology's employability, and it's become a very popular choice at uni. The thing is, a lot of people have a BSc/BA nowadays, so you need to do more to land a good job (i.e. Master's and experience through part time jobs/volunteering). I don't think being unemployed with a Psych degree says much about psychology's employability, but more about the current job market and number of people with a general degree. There are so many graduates who are in low skilled jobs or unemployed. I don't think it's anything you need to worry about though; you have a solid plan and as long as you have the determination to get there, you'll be absolutely fine. It's competitive to train as one, but once you're qualified, there's a real lack of educational psychologists (as with most trained psychologists tbh).
RE interviews, most courses at most uni's don't have interviews. Oxbridge interview for everything, but other than that, most uni's just interview for teaching courses and medicine (as far as I'm aware). So, with the exception of Cambridge, I'd be very surprised if you had to interview anywhere. I don't know much about Cambridge interviews, but at Oxford, they asked questions that test your thinking skills, which you can't really prepare for. They want to see how you work through problems, and whether you can justify your answers. They also do want to see evidence of your interest too, of course, so read around the topics you're interested in and be prepared to answer things that are a bit out there.

Thanks so much for the help! :smile:
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
As part of the TSR Ask a University Student 2.0 Initiative, this thread is for all and any questions you have about studying Psychology at university!

I'm currently a Psychology Student at the University of Nottingham, feel free to ask me anything! 😊

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@TheOnlyIzzy - Current student, Psychology, Nottingham
@Marni_ - 3rd year, BSc Psychology with Education, UCL
@El_21 - Offer holder, Psychology, Oxford
@SophieBer - Offer holder, Psychology
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

hi what would you suggest us to do before applying in terms of volunteering, work experience, just anything extra?
Original post by cat1234!
hi what would you suggest us to do before applying in terms of volunteering, work experience, just anything extra?

You don't need to do volunteering or work experience - focus on additional reading/watching psychology related things :smile:
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
The best way to prepare for the degree is really just accepting that you’ve got to put the work in. Psychology as a subject isn’t really that complex or difficult, there’s just a lot of content you’ve got to crack down on.

I’m taking my psychology masters at the moment, so yeah I think so. They say you need a masters or higher in psychology now days because too many people have a psychology bachelors degree, but that’s becoming the same for most subjects now.

I’m only just going into my second year (my course is 4 years) so not so much career wise yet, but we have been given so many resources available online and so many volunteering opportunities it’s insane (this is for Nottingham however, I can’t speak for other universities)

Thank you for your response. I was wondering if there's anything you would recommend reading or starting since I have all this spare time until the course starts?

Is it good to do as much volunteering and experience as you can? What have you done?

Hope you are enjoying the course btw, and that's great they give you a lot of help with opportunities :smile:
Original post by Issakatie
Thank you for your response. I was wondering if there's anything you would recommend reading or starting since I have all this spare time until the course starts?

Is it good to do as much volunteering and experience as you can? What have you done?

Hope you are enjoying the course btw, and that's great they give you a lot of help with opportunities :smile:

Reading is more important than volunteering - you don't need any of that or work experience for psychology
Original post by Issakatie

Well the uni will give you loads of recommended readings for your modules, you can try research what they are, but usually you don’t find out until you start. If you took a-level psychology you’ll be fine, if you didn’t, i’d advice reading through simplypsychology.com , that covers all of the basics done at alevel you’ll need for uni.

Volunteering is good but because so much of psychology is confidential it’s hard to find. I did 3 weeks working in a Thailand center for kids with severe mental disabilities and disorders

Yeah I absolutely love my course :smile: playing with eye-tracking technology and stuff, everything is so interesting
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I am a bit concerned about textbooks.
Did you buy them or borrow them from the library?
when did you buy the textbooks?
Also English isn't my first language so will I be given support with content/essays?
Original post by Rene_2000
Also English isn't my first language so will I be given support with content/essays?

I didn't buy any, I used them all online or library! there might be a core one your uni recommends but the library will have it so if its really expensive don't worry about it (unless you want it).
the support you'll receive will depend on the uni but yes, there should be workshops etc to help you!
Original post by Rene_2000

Borrow from library, find online PDF versions or second hand and/or older additions if you check with course leader
@Marni_ do you think is it worth going for a PhD if I get a doctorate degree? Are they the same thing as I would be able to practice psychology privately with a doctorate? Just asking for future plans! Thanks
What sort of assignments do you get? What is the workload like on a weekly basis? (ik this will differ depending on the uni)
Original post by karam kaur
@Marni_ do you think is it worth going for a PhD if I get a doctorate degree? Are they the same thing as I would be able to practice psychology privately with a doctorate? Just asking for future plans! Thanks

the doctorate is the PhD isn't it? i.e. at the end of it you are a "Doctor"

in order to become any type of chartered psychologist you need the doctorate to be able to register with the HCPC and take the title of psychologist
Original post by moso2203
the doctorate is the PhD isn't it? i.e. at the end of it you are a "Doctor"

in order to become any type of chartered psychologist you need the doctorate to be able to register with the HCPC and take the title of psychologist

So would you say after a bachelors degree, masters then doctorate I would be able to practice psychology privately?
So would you say after a bachelors degree, masters then doctorate I would be able to practice psychology privately?

imo a master's degree isn't necessary. doesn't the doctorate only require prior experience, and a good bachelor's degree?

e.g. i want to go into educational psychology, and the doctorate for that requires a 2:1 or higher in psychology, and >1 year experience with children or young people.
Original post by moso2203
imo a master's degree isn't necessary. doesn't the doctorate only require prior experience, and a good bachelor's degree?

e.g. i want to go into educational psychology, and the doctorate for that requires a 2:1 or higher in psychology, and >1 year experience with children or young people.

I wasn't going to do a masters but it does a mandatory course where they offer work experience placements so I think that would be beneficial to getting into the doctorate course which as you said requires experience so its only an extra year might as well!

Hey, I've changed my username but it is me!
As the other user said, you get a PhD by completing a doctorate degree, and yes this will allow you to practice privately. In fact, to practice privately in most types of psychology you'll need a PhD. For some areas, especially clinical, PhD programmes are notoriously hard to get on to so experience is very important!
Hi, I am starting university in September and I am quite anxious. These are a few questions that have been on my mind, and any advice you have would be helpful, thank you. How is psychology at uni different than psychology at a-levels? Is there any advice you have on how to prepare for the course? Should I read any books? Or go over my A-level notes in depth? How do essays/exams from a-levels differ at uni?
Original post by Aisha2906
Hi, I am starting university in September and I am quite anxious. These are a few questions that have been on my mind, and any advice you have would be helpful, thank you. How is psychology at uni different than psychology at a-levels? Is there any advice you have on how to prepare for the course? Should I read any books? Or go over my A-level notes in depth? How do essays/exams from a-levels differ at uni?

Hey! I didn't study Psych at A Level but I've just graduated with a 1st class Psychology degree so I'll answer what I can! Starting uni can be an anxious time but it's also really exciting. From friends who studied it at A Level, I understand that at A Level it's a lot of just memorising theories and studies etc. At uni, it's more critical analysis, so we don't just learn theories etc, we evaluate them. We discuss what's good, what's bad and what we can do to make them better etc. We also compare different theories and look at what different studies can tell us. There's also a bit more statistics, and you get the chance to write up studies.
There's nothing you need to do to prepare, just enjoy your summer (as much as Covid allows!). If you reallllllly wanted, you could look over critiques of classic studies but it really isn't necessary. Like I said, I had never studied it before so they start from the beginning so everyone's on the same page. Don't worry about reading books prior, the books are expensive and they should all be available in the library when you arrive.
In terms of exams and essays, again, it's more critical analysis. Rather than just writing down as much info as you know about the topic, you have to evaluate it. There should be workshops etc to help you with uni writing style and really take note of feedback in your first few essays so you can improve.
I hope this helps!
Original post by Aisha2906

Hey! Don’t be anxious! Psychology at Uni is so much more interesting than at A-level, there is a bit more essay writing to do, and it dips more into the biology of it (so biology a-level really helped me), but it’s super interesting so it’s not as bad as it sounds.

You can’t really prepare for the course, a lot of what you study is related to what you did at a-level so just knowing the a-level syllabus helps.

The essays you will do are marked out of 100 (instead of 16) and usually will be around 1500 words, but are on topics you get to choose from and the marking is really easy to get a hold of, whereas a-level essays (out of 16) were just a bit mechanical and the same structure, with not a lot of room to explore and expand on things that interested you
Original post by empeño
Hey! I didn't study Psych at A Level but I've just graduated with a 1st class Psychology degree so I'll answer what I can! Starting uni can be an anxious time but it's also really exciting. From friends who studied it at A Level, I understand that at A Level it's a lot of just memorising theories and studies etc. At uni, it's more critical analysis, so we don't just learn theories etc, we evaluate them. We discuss what's good, what's bad and what we can do to make them better etc. We also compare different theories and look at what different studies can tell us. There's also a bit more statistics, and you get the chance to write up studies.
There's nothing you need to do to prepare, just enjoy your summer (as much as Covid allows!). If you reallllllly wanted, you could look over critiques of classic studies but it really isn't necessary. Like I said, I had never studied it before so they start from the beginning so everyone's on the same page. Don't worry about reading books prior, the books are expensive and they should all be available in the library when you arrive.
In terms of exams and essays, again, it's more critical analysis. Rather than just writing down as much info as you know about the topic, you have to evaluate it. There should be workshops etc to help you with uni writing style and really take note of feedback in your first few essays so you can improve.
I hope this helps!

Hi, thank you so so much! This helps a lot, I was really worried because I felt as though I had forgotten all of my A-Level knowledge, and to be honest I am just an anxious person overall, so knowing this helps a lot! Also thank you so much for the quick reply!

Quick Reply

Latest