The Student Room Group

Which is better, MSc management at UCL or Imperial?

Hey guys!

I was was wondering which would be better? Does anyone know if there are pros and cons for any of these courses or certain aspects of one course that is better than the other? I know both are really good but I'm having trouble deciding :smile:
Hello!

At first, the two parent institutions are world class universities, so both of them are excellent. Here is my advice:

In terms of Business & Management, I would say Imperial would be better choice than UCL as their Business School's reputation is increasing sharply and their placements in the finance and consulting sectors are among the best. In terms of curriculum and layout, Imperial offers a wide variety of management programs which results in an impressive range of electives, projects and study abroad opportunities. Also their rankings are very good (if rankings matter to you).

Finally, one of the main differences (which depends on what you like you best), UCL is going to be very theory-focused whereas Imperial is going to be more practical/career focused.

To give you a global vision, in terms of business good business schools in the UK, this is my ranking:
Tier 1: LBS/Imperial/LSE (not in order)
Tier 2: UCL/King's/Warwick (in order)
Tier 3: Cass/Edinburgh/Manchester (not in order)
Tier 4: Durham/Bath/etc.. (not in order)

Considering this, what would you prefer? Where would you think you would be the most successful? Where would you fit the most in terms of career clubs/extra-curricular? I think that GPA and involvement matter, so you need to chose the masters where you would make the best of it, this is the most important.

Finally, do you have offers from both schools? :smile:

Hope it helps,

Cheers!
Reply 2
Original post by Archeklain
Hello!

At first, the two parent institutions are world class universities, so both of them are excellent. Here is my advice:

In terms of Business & Management, I would say Imperial would be better choice than UCL as their Business School's reputation is increasing sharply and their placements in the finance and consulting sectors are among the best. In terms of curriculum and layout, Imperial offers a wide variety of management programs which results in an impressive range of electives, projects and study abroad opportunities. Also their rankings are very good (if rankings matter to you).

Finally, one of the main differences (which depends on what you like you best), UCL is going to be very theory-focused whereas Imperial is going to be more practical/career focused.

To give you a global vision, in terms of business good business schools in the UK, this is my ranking:
Tier 1: LBS/Imperial/LSE (not in order)
Tier 2: UCL/King's/Warwick (in order)
Tier 3: Cass/Edinburgh/Manchester (not in order)
Tier 4: Durham/Bath/etc.. (not in order)

Considering this, what would you prefer? Where would you think you would be the most successful? Where would you fit the most in terms of career clubs/extra-curricular? I think that GPA and involvement matter, so you need to chose the masters where you would make the best of it, this is the most important.

Finally, do you have offers from both schools? :smile:

Hope it helps,

Cheers!

Wow thank you, this really helps! The Imperial course has a lot of electives that I can choose from and the study abroad options so the course interests me more, but I've always wanted to go to UCL and didn't manage to for my undergrad so that's probably clouding my judgement. However, even though I haven't been to either before I like the UCL campus more than Imperial.

I have an offer from UCL but have not received a response from Imperial yet. I didn't get anything about when my interview will be either and it's been a while since I applied so I might call them on Monday.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Niakins
Wow thank you, this really helps! The Imperial course has a lot of electives that I can choose from and the study abroad options so the course interests me more, but I've always wanted to go to UCL and didn't manage to for my undergrad so that's probably clouding my judgement. However, even though I haven't been to either before I like the UCL campus more than Imperial.

I have an offer from UCL but have not received a response from Imperial yet. I didn't get anything about when my interview will be either and it's been a while since I applied so I might call them on Monday.

My pleasure! I understand your feeling towards UCL, it is great that you got your revenge and got in! :wink: It is an excellent institution.
That being said, I would choose Imperial if I were you as it will open more doors for management in my opinion, and you probably will take away more in terms of academics and extra-curricular.

The right choice is going to be yours of course, but there are many factors to be considered as I mentioned.

Keep me updated!

Cheers
Hi, I’m also an applicant for MSc mangement at UCL, imperial and lse. Would you mind sharing your profile
Reply 5
Original post by Seiftoma1
Hi, I’m also an applicant for MSc mangement at UCL, imperial and lse. Would you mind sharing your profile

Hello! I'm currently a 3rd year psychology student and expect to graduate with a 2:1. I also have some volunteering experience (fundraising and teaching kids) but that's pretty much it so I was surprised to get an offer from UCL :smile: Wbu?
Original post by Niakins
Hello! I'm currently a 3rd year psychology student and expect to graduate with a 2:1. I also have some volunteering experience (fundraising and teaching kids) but that's pretty much it so I was surprised to get an offer from UCL :smile: Wbu?

I’m a third year student at the University of Bath, studying accounting and finance and finishing with a 2.1. I’ve had 3 finance related internships. Just took the interview yesterday so it’s time to wait now and hope that I can get an offer. Congrats on your offer and wish you the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending