The Student Room Group

Am I the only British person who doesn't do anything for St George's Day?

So today's st George's Day and I have just realised that in all the years I have been alive that I don't really mark it?

Am I alone in this?
No you’re not alone, didn’t even realise it was today or that it was a big thing
Most people don't celebrate it.

That England picked a patron saint that was has no link whatsoever to England and who was venerated by crusaders may have something to do it with.

Even Wayne Rooney Day would be more suitable.
Reply 3
what are you meant to do?

also what can you really do during a lockdown??
No.
A lot of British people are not interested in remembering or celebrating St Georges Day.
Particularly human beans who prefer to celebrate St Patrick's, St Andrew's, St David's and International Workers' Day.
BB.jpg
Union Jack Wearing Bulldog is celebrating St George's Day. :eating:
No I don't do anything for it. I didn't even realise what day it was.
Never knowingly met anyone that celebrates it. (Unless the EDL count?)
Reply 7
I wish more places did something worthwhile for it. If our locals did some trad music etc, I'd spend the whole day down there. But they don't. They have a load of balds with bulldog tattoos singing Oasis songs and footie chants. No ta
Reply 8
nobody in my family, friends or anybody that i know of irl celebrate it so like whats the point
Never done anything for it. Although one time when I was younger I went to this community féte thing and ended up winning a dragon :tongue: :smile:
Reply 10
Never have. Might be because I’m Scottish though. I remember my primary school used to force us to do stupid dances for St. Andrew’s day, but I’ve never celebrated it personally, nor do I know anyone who really has, as there’s not really much exciting stuff to celebrate as opposed to Christmas, Easter and Halloween.
When I was in Scouts we did a St George's Day parade. These days I don't really do anything, although occasionally my family get the English flag blanket out and put it on the sofa :biggrin:
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost
Most people don't celebrate it.

That England picked a patron saint that was has no link whatsoever to England and who was venerated by crusaders may have something to do it with.

Even Wayne Rooney Day would be more suitable.

Because we all know St Patrick was an Irish leprechaun (kidnapped by Irish sailors from Roman Britain)

and that St Andrew invented haggis (from Israel, started due to relics from Constantinople to St Andrews) :smile:

St George himself also has no links to Catalonia, Ethiopia and Georgia who also claim him as their patron saint
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest