The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth University freshers 2020

Hi,
I'm suppose to be going to Aberystwyth Uni to study Media and History, but I'm anxious about freshers week (if there will be one) as I am a non drinker. Should I be worried?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

when I studied my first degree there was a girl in my halls that didnt drink and she still had fun! nobody as far as I know judged her for it as it's your own personal choice.
best advice I can give is dont feel pressured to do anything you dont want to do and dont forget you dont need to drink to have fun!
some of my favourite memories from uni / freshers are sober ones!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by midwife2020
when I studied my first degree there was a girl in my halls that didnt drink and she still had fun! nobody as far as I know judged her for it as it's your own personal choice.
best advice I can give is dont feel pressured to do anything you dont want to do and dont forget you dont need to drink to have fun!
some of my favourite memories from uni / freshers are sober ones!

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 3
I don’t drink either, so you definitely won’t be the only one.
Reply 4
Original post by alova
I don’t drink either, so you definitely won’t be the only one.

Are you there already or applying for uni?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Are you there already or applying for uni?

Applied for September (2020/21). I’m Unconditional Firm.
Reply 6
Original post by alova
Applied for September (2020/21). I’m Unconditional Firm.

What course are you doing?
Reply 7
What course are you doing?

Film & television studies/ drama & theatre. & staying in Fferm Penglais. Have you got your accommodation yet?
Original post by alova
Film & television studies/ drama & theatre. & staying in Fferm Penglais. Have you got your accommodation yet

Studying International Politics staying in Fferm Penglais looking forward to September!
I wouldn't worry too much! I do drink but definitely not as much as most of my friends.

Your bank account will be thanking you when you're not eating beans on toast for the rest of the month :biggrin:
Reply 10
No not yet hopin to get into fferm are you on the Facebook and Snapchat group by any chance?

I’m not. Do you know what they are as I’d love to be on them.

Original post by Ben O'Connor
Studying International Politics staying in Fferm Penglais looking forward to September!

👍🏻 Me too. Seems such a long way off right now
So happy I just found this thread! I don't drink either and thought I wouldve been one of the only ones ahah, I'm staying in fferm penglais and studying filmmaking 😊
I wouldn't worry too much! I do drink but definitely not as much as most of my friends.

Your bank account will be thanking you when you're not eating beans on toast for the rest of the month :biggrin:

Aha Yep 😂 Thank you
Original post by _.Chloe._
So happy I just found this thread! I don't drink either and thought I wouldve been one of the only ones ahah, I'm staying in fferm penglais and studying filmmaking 😊

Probably will see you in the Film and TV department/ fferm accomodation.
Original post by alova
👍🏻 Me too. Seems such a long way off right now

Yeah there are some I'm in there if you want to join that the reason I wrote this thread as all seem to be talking about getting drunk whilst no one talked about sober stuff
Reply 15
Original post by _.Chloe._

Will see you around the department as well then as I’m doing film & television studies/drama & theatre. & also in Fferm Penglais.
Reply 16
Yeah there are some I'm in there if you want to join that the reason I wrote this thread as all seem to be talking about getting drunk whilst no one talked about sober stuff

I guess it’s what a lot of people think of when they think of freshers & uni. It’s great that you started this thread so those of us that don’t can get to know each other
Original post by alova
I guess it’s what a lot of people think of when they think of freshers & uni. It’s great that you started this thread so those of us that don’t can get to know each other

Yeah stereotypical students,
I don't drink either! I was also worried about freshers as I always get asked about why I don't drink hah. So glad to see that there are others the same :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jess3000
I don't drink either! I was also worried about freshers as I always get asked about why I don't drink hah. So glad to see that there are others the same :smile:

I’m sure there will be more then you think when we get there 😀

Quick Reply

Latest