Reply 2
Original post by the bear
what have you tried so far ? :holmes:

i have cried
Reply 3
Original post by littleworm
i have cried

This is a mood.

Notice how there is something in common with both equations, the trick is to remove the exponential - do you remember how to do this?
Reply 4
Original post by chi2
This is a mood.

Notice how there is something in common with both equations, the trick is to remove the exponential - do you remember how to do this?

no
we just started this topic during lockdown so i've had to teach it to myself and that has not gone well
Reply 5
no
we just started this topic during lockdown so i've had to teach it to myself and that has not gone well

Okay so the first thing to understand is that exponentials and logarithms are linked but can undo each other (in a sense).

If you have y=e^x and want to get the x, take the ln of each side and you get ln(y) = x. This is because if you take the natural log of an exponential you will get the exponent (i.e. the natural log will undo the exponential).
Reply 6
Original post by chi2
Okay so the first thing to understand is that exponentials and logarithms are linked but can undo each other (in a sense).

If you have y=e^x and want to get the x, take the ln of each side and you get ln(y) = x. This is because if you take the natural log of an exponential you will get the exponent (i.e. the natural log will undo the exponential).

ok so would i do 2y = In(x+1), y = (In(x+1))/2
then substitute???
ln(x-2) = 2y - 1
ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1
i don't know where to go from there if what i did was right
Reply 7
ok so would i do 2y = In(x+1), y = (In(x+1))/2
then substitute???
ln(x-2) = 2y - 1
ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1
i don't know where to go from there

Perfect! Now you need to use one of the log laws, the one relevant here is: ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b)

Then you will have all your Xs in a single ln. So to get rid of a natural log, for example ln(a), simply take the exponential of it: i.e. e^ln(a) = a
Reply 8
Original post by chi2
Perfect! Now you need to use one of the log laws, the one relevant here is: ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b)

Then you will have all your Xs in a single ln. So to get rid of a natural log, for example ln(a), simply take the exponential of it: i.e. e^ln(a) = a

ohh!! i got it now i think
x = (e+2)/(1-e)
and then i just substitute into e^(2y) = x + 1
e^(2y) = (e+2)/(1-e) + 1
then im stuck
Reply 9
ohh!! i got it now i think
x = (e+2)/(1-e)
and then i just substitute into e^(2y) = x + 1
e^(2y) = (e+2)/(1-e) + 1
then im stuck

If you have ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1:

1) rearrange it to make it more friendly
ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1
=> 1 = ln(x+1) - ln(x-2)

2) use the log law: ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b)

this should give you something like 1 = ln(q) where q is determined by using the log law previously

3) then take the exponential of the log: the general rule is if x = ln(y) then e^x = y

for your question you will end up with e^1 = q, at this point it should be easy to just rearrange to find x.
Reply 10
Original post by chi2
If you have ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1:

1) rearrange it to make it more friendly
ln(x-2) = In(x+1) - 1
=> 1 = ln(x+1) - ln(x-2)

2) use the log law: ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b)

this should give you something like 1 = ln(q) where q is determined by using the log law previously

3) then take the exponential of the log: the general rule is if x = ln(y) then e^x = y

for your question you will end up with e^1 = q, at this point it should be easy to just rearrange to find x.

oh wait yeah sorry
so x = (1 +2e)/(e - 1) maybe
and then substitute into e^(2y) = x+1
y = 0.5 * In((1+2e)/(e-1) +1)
is that good?
Reply 11
oh wait yeah sorry
so x = (1 +2e)/(e - 1) maybe
and then substitute into e^(2y) = x+1
y = 0.5 * In((1+2e)/(e-1) +1)
is that good?

That's what I got for x, so yep I think so! You can probably simplify your answer a bit but unless the question asks you to do so I wouldn't bother.
Reply 12
Original post by chi2
That's what I got for x, so yep I think so! You can probably simplify your answer a bit but unless the question asks you to do so I wouldn't bother.

cool :smile:
thank you so much
hope you have a great day

Quick Reply

Latest