The Student Room Group

Remote working and social life?

This is something that I’ve been thinking about recently as a graduate on the hunt for a job.

Given a lot more emphasis will be placed on working from home I am wondering how this would influence people’s social lives, and particularly for those starting out in new jobs.

For example say you’re just starting a new grad job in London and now everything is all remote like even the training ect, surely it would be a lot harder to make friends with new employees as you can’t like go for lunch with your new colleagues or just have the standard like chats people have in the office about what they’re doing after work or just any old chat for that matter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I think it's going to have a big impact, and one that hasn't been considered yet because those people aren't part of the conversation right now.

Longer term I really wonder how business culture will be affected, people may never have physically met any of their colleagues, how will that affect people?

I started a new job 1 week before lockdown, so I haven't met even half my colleagues in a 40 perosn company face to face, some I have met over video call but as you mention you call someone to work on a specific thing, there's none of the spontaneous conversations.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe1000000
I think it's going to have a big impact, and one that hasn't been considered yet because those people aren't part of the conversation right now.

Longer term I really wonder how business culture will be affected, people may never have physically met any of their colleagues, how will that affect people?

I started a new job 1 week before lockdown, so I haven't met even half my colleagues in a 40 perosn company face to face, some I have met over video call but as you mention you call someone to work on a specific thing, there's none of the spontaneous conversations.

Yeh exactly and I can imagine if you’re staring out somewhere new often people move to a new area and people at work are often the people you’d expect to be doing stuff with like going down to the pub or just having lunch together so I can imagine there’s gonna be a lot of people switching jobs or people starting out as grads feeling rather lonely at this stage in their career. And yeh like you said even if you are just doing say a video call there isn’t really any time for just general chat it’ll be more of a case of someone telling you how to do xyz. Suddenly the whole idea of moving to London to start a new role doesn’t have so much of an appeal as surely it wouldn’t really feel like you’re part of that young working in the city bubble and rather just someone doing a job with limited contact with colleagues.
Social changes will most certainly happen even more so in London, but I have already seen drastic changes happening around my workplace here in London. We have weekly pub quizzes on zoom, TikTok competitions etc. I moved to London last year and started working in a grad role found it difficult to make new friends back then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending