The Student Room Group

Home educated students at Cambridge

I'm going to be starting college this September to do Literature, History, Sociology and Critical Thinking AS as an enrichment subject, but I've been home educated since I was 12, and I haven't had any sort of formal teaching in that time, nor did I have the chance to take GCSEs due to financial issues, so obviously I'll have no GCSE results to show when I apply to Cambridge in 18 months' time, hopefully to study English. Does anyone know whether this would be a particular disadvantage, since I'm suspecting Cambridge would expect a pretty impeccable academic record, or would they be willing to overlook it assuming I get very good marks at college, since it was all factors beyond my control etc? Any advice would be very nice, it's a long time until I apply but I'm very very worried about it!!
Reply 1
Without GCSE's i dont think Cambridge will accept you
Reply 2
menameis
Without GCSE's i dont think Cambridge will accept you

Hm, would it possibly be the kind of thing that would make me eligible for the CSAS? It says that's for people whose education has been severely disrupted, which mine has. I could understand if I'd just failed all my GCSEs, but since I didn't have an opportunity to take them, surely they wouldn't be harsh enough to completely disregard me if I was getting As at college?
I don't think this is the place to be asking, really. Email the person concerned at Cambridge, and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help. Cambridge are usually very keen to help those who've ben put at a disadvantage through financial reasons.
Reply 4
If you got As at AS level, and explained the situation, I can't imagine them holding it against you.
I don't think they're /that/ bothered by GCSEs anyway, at least compared to your grades and predicted for AS and A2.
Reply 5
You could try contacting them about it, but even now when i apply to uni's through clearing, they still ask me about my GCSE grades regardless of the fact that i have an A in Alevel Subjects, and these are not even redbrick universities, but i guess you'll have to contact them yourself and explain your situation.
Reply 6
Sian_01
Hm, would it possibly be the kind of thing that would make me eligible for the CSAS? It says that's for people whose education has been severely disrupted, which mine has. I could understand if I'd just failed all my GCSEs, but since I didn't have an opportunity to take them, surely they wouldn't be harsh enough to completely disregard me if I was getting As at college?

To be honest, I think the post you're replying to there is mistaken. GCSE's aren't everything, and if Cambridge didn't accept people because they didn't have GCSE's, there'd be no international students there.

GCSE's provide a record of previous academic achievement - if you did well in them before, and are doing well now in A-Levels, it shows consistent performance. If you don't have GCSE's, they don't have this metric, but that should by no means disqualify you from a chance of getting in if you have very good A-Level results.

Get some more info on the CSAS and see if you're applicable. Although, I think you need a referee or a teacher to submit it for you, so I'm not sure what you would do if you're homeschooled?
They won't be at all bothered that you didn't take GCSE's, many overseas candidates are taken without GCSEs for example. Of course they will look very closely at your A levels and any tests you do in the application process, but so long as you are predicted 3 As there won't be a problem.

You should read up on CSAS and see if you are eligible.
Reply 8
SunderX
To be honest, I think the post you're replying to there is mistaken. GCSE's aren't everything, and if Cambridge didn't accept people because they didn't have GCSE's, there'd be no international students there.

GCSE's provide a record of previous academic achievement - if you did well in them before, and are doing well now in A-Levels, it shows consistent performance. If you don't have GCSE's, they don't have this metric, but that should by no means disqualify you from a chance of getting in if you have very good A-Level results.

Get some more info on the CSAS and see if you're applicable. Although, I think you need a referee or a teacher to submit it for you, so I'm not sure what you would do if you're homeschooled?

Well as of this September I won't be home schooled any more, I've managed to secure myself a place at an actual 6th form to do A levels, so when the time comes I'll be able to get a teacher to fill it in if that's what they need. I'm not entirely sure I'd be eligible for the CSAS, because it says you can apply through it if your education was disrupted due to "certain reasons", but since the reasons were beyond my control I'm hoping they'll be understanding. And thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought about the fact that they take so many overseas students without GCSEs :smile:
Reply 9
Sian_01
Well as of this September I won't be home schooled any more, I've managed to secure myself a place at an actual 6th form to do A levels, so when the time comes I'll be able to get a teacher to fill it in if that's what they need. I'm not entirely sure I'd be eligible for the CSAS, because it says you can apply through it if your education was disrupted due to "certain reasons", but since the reasons were beyond my control I'm hoping they'll be understanding. And thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought about the fact that they take so many overseas students without GCSEs :smile:

I'd definitely speak to them sooner rather than later. It's true that international applicants won't have GCSEs, but if they see you're a UK student attending a UK 6th form college, they'll wonder why you don't have any. Yes, they often waive their matriculation requirements but definitely worth finding out soon if they will for you!
Reply 10
Helenia
I'd definitely speak to them sooner rather than later. It's true that international applicants won't have GCSEs, but if they see you're a UK student attending a UK 6th form college, they'll wonder why you don't have any. Yes, they often waive their matriculation requirements but definitely worth finding out soon if they will for you!

Well, as I said, I won't actually be applying until the end of next year, so when it gets nearer the time and when I've decided for sure which college I want to go to (I'm in love with Pembroke at the moment) I'll ask the people at that college what their opinion on it would be, since I guess maybe some colleges would be less bothered than others, maybe?
I was homeschooled and I also studied via correspondence for some years.
Just email the admissions tutor of a few colleges and tell them your situation. Also when you write your personal statement, don't miss the opportunity to mention the strengths you've developed as a result of that way of education in comparison to the norm (if you feel you have, of course)
I think your biggest problem is the fact your only doing 3 AS Levels excluding CT. Is there any way you can take up a 4th? And I think they may ask for GCSE English at Grade C, because international applicants do IELTS.
Reply 13
Sian_01
I'm going to be starting college this September to do Literature, History, Sociology and Critical Thinking AS as an enrichment subject, but I've been home educated since I was 12, and I haven't had any sort of formal teaching in that time, nor did I have the chance to take GCSEs due to financial issues, so obviously I'll have no GCSE results to show when I apply to Cambridge in 18 months' time, hopefully to study English. Does anyone know whether this would be a particular disadvantage, since I'm suspecting Cambridge would expect a pretty impeccable academic record, or would they be willing to overlook it assuming I get very good marks at college, since it was all factors beyond my control etc? Any advice would be very nice, it's a long time until I apply but I'm very very worried about it!!

Hallo!
Don't worry - this is a good question. :smile:

You should definitely contact Cambridge about it. Some colleges will be more bothered by others. Technically, they like students to have done well at GGCSEs (or international equivalents), but there are ways to waive the requirements, or to get round them.
Contact a few of the colleges, in good time, and ask them their take on it. *Make sure you ask the college you eventually apply to*, just to make sure they're not going to be weird about it!

Cambridge wants interesting, interested students, not just people with the 'right' paperwork.

Enjoy college! :smile:
Reply 14
epitome
Hallo!
Don't worry - this is a good question. :smile:

You should definitely contact Cambridge about it. Some colleges will be more bothered by others. Technically, they like students to have done well at GGCSEs (or international equivalents), but there are ways to waive the requirements, or to get round them.
Contact a few of the colleges, in good time, and ask them their take on it. *Make sure you ask the college you eventually apply to*, just to make sure they're not going to be weird about it!

Cambridge wants interesting, interested students, not just people with the 'right' paperwork.

Enjoy college! :smile:

Thanks for the advice :biggrin: it's still a while until I apply yet, so I don't know if I really need to contact them yet about it? I plan on going to open days and things next year (I'll be applying in October 2009) so I'm guessing there'll be people that I can speak to abou it then?
Reply 15
jelly1000
I think your biggest problem is the fact your only doing 3 AS Levels excluding CT. Is there any way you can take up a 4th? And I think they may ask for GCSE English at Grade C, because international applicants do IELTS.

Unfortunately, there isn't really any way I can do a 4th A level. The 6th form I'm going to are very strict on this rule of making you choose strange 4th subjects in both years, unless you go them with exceptional GCSE results they won't even entertain the thought of letting you choose 4 subjects, and they were obviously quite very strict with me since I have no GCSE results to show them and I've really only got a place because I talked a lot at interviews and promised them I'll do whatever it takes to get As. It's all a bit awkward, but I'll end up with A levels in Literature, History and Sociology, plus AS in Critical Thinking and an AS Extended Project, which isn't as good as 4 useful A levels, but I'm hoping it will be acceptable?
Sian_01
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: it's still a while until I apply yet, so I don't know if I really need to contact them yet about it? I plan on going to open days and things next year (I'll be applying in October 2009) so I'm guessing there'll be people that I can speak to abou it then?

You can email them closer to the time - application deadline is 15th of October each year, so perhaps a few months before that. It isn't as if your GCSE situation is likely to change at all, so there's no need to put it off till later when they can give you a response right away. However if you'd feel more comfortable asking their opinion this time next year with four As to hand, fair enough. In the meantime it would be a good idea to work your bum off, obviously.
Also choosing a college can take some time, so have a good look at the options and form a preference so you'll know who to email next year, as its the individual colleges you approach about admissions rather than the University as a unit.
jelly1000
I think your biggest problem is the fact your only doing 3 AS Levels excluding CT.

I only took 3 A levels both years, and no extra subjects.
Reply 17
Craghyrax
You can email them closer to the time - application deadline is 15th of October each year, so perhaps a few months before that. It isn't as if your GCSE situation is likely to change at all, so there's no need to put it off till later when they can give you a response right away. However if you'd feel more comfortable asking their opinion this time next year with four As to hand, fair enough. In the meantime it would be a good idea to work your bum off, obviously.
Also choosing a college can take some time, so have a good look at the options and form a preference so you'll know who to email next year, as its the individual colleges you approach about admissions rather than the University as a unit.

Well I don't plan on putting off asking until the very last minute, but perhaps it might be better for me to email them/visit in a few months' time when I've settled into college and (hopefully) am getting very good marks. I'm pretty sure I will do well in my A levels since I'm absolutely prepared to do whatever it takes to get good grades, but I suppose I would feel more sure of myself if I was asking them knowing that I was predicted As at the end of my first year and knowing that wanting to apply to Cambridge isn't unreasonable.
As for choosing a college, I've got many many months to completely change my mind, but I went to Cambridge with some friends a few weeks ago and pretty much completely and utterly fell in love with Pembroke :biggrin:
I was home educated from 12 also, I ended up taking my GCSEs a year late at college before taking a levels and I've had my interview. I was only able to take 3 GCSEs at college, as long as you explain the situation they're fine. I've applied for English and Education...

Latest

Trending

Trending