The Student Room Group

Foundation degree? And Hadlow college?

So I will be taking this year to work full-time and save for a course on higher education but I will also be studying Maths GCSE again this year in September after leaving school in 2019 with my A-levels.

I only have 80 UCAS points and was thinking of doing a Foundation degree as I needed 96 UCAS points to do a full bachelor degree. I am not quite sure how foundation degrees work but I think I can top it up to a Bachelor degree in my third year? So I am unsure how much me having to take a Foundation degree will affect the quality of my education. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I think I want to study Applied Behavioural Science & Welfare Fds.

I've looked at studying in Hadlow college which is near my home so I can save money in the long-term as I am aware this qualification does not normally lead to a high-paid job but it will give me something I can enjoy and help me secure a satisfying career.

I am worried that because I can only do a foundation course that other people on my course may not be as enthusiastic or determined as me and I don't want to be affected by other people on the course as I have always been shy but (until my A-levels) interested in learning. I was also wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

Of course this all depends on if I pass my Maths GCSE as I desperately want to receive a pass grade on this as I have been trying so hard to pass for years and it would all feel like a waste if I gave up.
Original post by Littletinygrace
So I will be taking this year to work full-time and save for a course on higher education but I will also be studying Maths GCSE again this year in September after leaving school in 2019 with my A-levels.

I only have 80 UCAS points and was thinking of doing a Foundation degree as I needed 96 UCAS points to do a full bachelor degree. I am not quite sure how foundation degrees work but I think I can top it up to a Bachelor degree in my third year? So I am unsure how much me having to take a Foundation degree will affect the quality of my education. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I think I want to study Applied Behavioural Science & Welfare Fds.

I've looked at studying in Hadlow college which is near my home so I can save money in the long-term as I am aware this qualification does not normally lead to a high-paid job but it will give me something I can enjoy and help me secure a satisfying career.

I am worried that because I can only do a foundation course that other people on my course may not be as enthusiastic or determined as me and I don't want to be affected by other people on the course as I have always been shy but (until my A-levels) interested in learning. I was also wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

Of course this all depends on if I pass my Maths GCSE as I desperately want to receive a pass grade on this as I have been trying so hard to pass for years and it would all feel like a waste if I gave up.

A foundation degree is normally a one year course. From there you then need to apply to the full degree as normal and there is no guarantee you would be accepted. You need to check the entry requirements for the main degree you want to study and check that the foundation degree is definitely accepted.

I am really not sure what you mean by other people not being enthusiastic or determined - the vast majority if not all will also be aiming to sit the full degree.
I just finished this FdSc Applied Animal Behavioural Science and Welfare course you're on about, just doing my top up now! We are all really passionate in our classes and they are often times where we discuss our views and compare to others so everybody is interested. Just because it is a foundation course doesn't mean everybody and anybody gets accepted. Foundation is a good way to get a degree with a top-up after as it is often given to students that didn't receive high enough grades but the outcome is the same. With COVID, personally, I would suggest leaving it a year and starting the year after because there are rumors that it'll all be online and your first year is the most hands-on but completely up to you! Hope you enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending