The Student Room Group

Help needed regarding swapping courses

I am 38 and decided last year that I wanted to persue social work. I went along to my local college to see what I needed to do as I read online about access courses. I was last in formal education when I was 18. I was told that I could do the foundation degree and top in up to a full degree and then go on and study a masters. I was told this was my only way. Fast forward half way through first year and this is the totally wrong degree it’s on child studies and having always worked in a social services background not a job educational background.the advice I’m after is I’ve found another college who does the access to social work course which is a year and then I can go onto study a undergraduate social work degree.Could I drop this degree and use the advanced learners loan even though I’ve used one year of student finance and then when I start my undergraduate degree in social care pick back up the student finance or would I have to fund it myself. I’m so annoyed with myself as I let myself be talked into a degree. I want to finish the first year of the foundation degree even though it is 100% not the degree I need.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply