The Student Room Group

Changing subject for a level maths as a y13

I want to change one of the subjects I am studying in 6th form.

I study law, sociology and criminology at the moment and will soon be in year 13. The subject I want to change is criminology for a level maths.

I meet the gcse grade requirements with a grade 8 in English lang and grade 7 in maths. My 6th form requires a grade 5 English and grade 6 Maths (ideally grade 7) for the subject.

I am willing to do the whole qualification and stay back one year extra to sit the whole qualification. This is because I want to become a data-analyst statistician although I can do a degree with a foundation year or degree apprenticeship. I do genuinely like Maths and can see myself committing to this but I am a little wary whether my college will be on board with this. I have not spoken to them in yr12 as I was still unsure about what I wanted to pursue at university and for a career. I have a clearer idea about it and this area interests me a lot.

My family is fine with it having spoken to them but I need a bit of advice when it concerns my college in conversations about this.
Reply 1
You should ask your teacher about it and if the college doesn’t allow it then maybe see if another college would allow it? If not then foundation degree it is
Reply 2
Original post by Issy783
You should ask your teacher about it and if the college doesn’t allow it then maybe see if another college would allow it? If not then foundation degree it is

I definitely plan in having a conversation with my tutor and career advisors about the change of subject here. I will check other colleges around me as well on their requirements too.
Reply 3
Original post by K _I
I definitely plan in having a conversation with my tutor and career advisors about the change of subject here. I will check other colleges around me as well on their requirements too.

Most unis want to see all three A levels taken at once
Reply 4
Original post by K _I
I want to change one of the subjects I am studying in 6th form.

I study law, sociology and criminology at the moment and will soon be in year 13. The subject I want to change is criminology for a level maths.

I meet the gcse grade requirements with a grade 8 in English lang and grade 7 in maths. My 6th form requires a grade 5 English and grade 6 Maths (ideally grade 7) for the subject.

I am willing to do the whole qualification and stay back one year extra to sit the whole qualification. This is because I want to become a data-analyst statistician although I can do a degree with a foundation year or degree apprenticeship. I do genuinely like Maths and can see myself committing to this but I am a little wary whether my college will be on board with this. I have not spoken to them in yr12 as I was still unsure about what I wanted to pursue at university and for a career. I have a clearer idea about it and this area interests me a lot.

My family is fine with it having spoken to them but I need a bit of advice when it concerns my college in conversations about this.

If like Maths than go ahead and change it but you will have to learn by yourself year1 content and put more work to Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by QueenOla
If like Maths than go ahead and change it but you will have to learn by yourself year1 content and put more work to Maths.

Sorry for the late response but they didn't allow it so I am still currently studying the same subjects. I will likely self-study A Level Maths in a gap year and am currently awaiting decisions by universities for computer science with a foundation year as a safety net in case i am not successful in getting an apprenticeship, which is highly unlikely for me.
My predicted grades are roughly A*AA for more context.
Reply 6
Original post by Issy783

Also, I found out about centres that accept external candidates as most colleges don't accept external candidates. Another local college does offer the course but it requires me to do the 2 years full time in consulting with them.
Reply 7
Original post by K _I
Sorry for the late response but they didn't allow it so I am still currently studying the same subjects. I will likely self-study A Level Maths in a gap year and am currently awaiting decisions by universities for computer science with a foundation year as a safety net in case i am not successful in getting an apprenticeship, which is highly unlikely for me.
My predicted grades are roughly A*AA for more context.

I think best for you do a foundation year at Uni either in Com Sci or Maths. So you don't do 2 years for Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest