The Student Room Group

Professors shows poor understanding of material

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Uh, you should file a complaint, and encourage your peers to do so as well. There was this lecturer we had that was just... bad, so half of the students in that year filed a complaint. They changed him the following year. I don't think you can get any money back though, no. Just have to study them all yourself.
This year we have a professor who is on strike for more than half of the lectures. Yikes. Professor quality is something we can only hope for...
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Uh, you should file a complaint, and encourage your peers to do so as well. There was this lecturer we had that was just... bad, so half of the students in that year filed a complaint. They changed him the following year. I don't think you can get any money back though, no. Just have to study them all yourself.
This year we have a professor who is on strike for more than half of the lectures. Yikes. Professor quality is something we can only hope for...

How are we suppose to improve the thinking of the next generation with these professor's?
Someone has to complain to higher authority to make some changes, its terrible for the country
Yeah I've had a few of those. They talk out of their arse and it's so obvious. Not much you can do unfortunately mate. But lodging a complaint is probably best - are your other classmates unhappy with him too?
Original post by JokesOnYoo
So this professor's lecture slides in engineering, he provides examples and then says things like "It is obvious that the result is ..." Hes essentially just making statement without saying why and says its obvious or he'll say a something condescending like 'A quick test of your trigonometry will show this'

So this is “Professor code” for one of the following :smile:.

1) "The maths you need here is basic and dull and you should know this stuff from A levels / last term’s course. I could teach it to you (again) but that just gets in the way of the new stuff I need to give you for this course".

OR

2) "Well done, you have noticed a tricky bit. It will appear on a problem sheet and then on the exam, so students who work out how to do this get a decent pass"

OR

3) “I don’t know how to do this stuff”.

Its never 3. There are many brutal hurdles to get over to be able to progress from undergrad through masters, PhD, Post Doc, Research Fellow, Lecturer, Reader to Prof so if its engineering, there is zero probability its this.
Reply 5
Sounds like he just wants to get paid and hopes nobody catches onto his bs
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Wednesday
So this is “Professor code” for one of the following :smile:.

1) "The maths you need here is basic and dull and you should know this stuff from A levels / last term’s course. I could teach it to you (again) but that just gets in the way of the new stuff I need to give you for this course".

OR

2) "Well done, you have noticed a tricky bit. It will appear on a problem sheet and then on the exam, so students who work out how to do this get a decent pass"

OR

3) “I don’t know how to do this stuff”.

Its never 3. There are many brutal hurdles to get over to be able to progress from undergrad through masters, PhD, Post Doc, Research Fellow, Lecturer, Reader to Prof so if its engineering, there is zero probability its this.

No i would disagree, Engineers should never be teaching Mathematics concepts because their understanding of those concepts revolve mainly around concrete example whereas the concepts themselves are abstract
You can't "get your money back", no. That's not how it works.

If this is a consistent problem then raise it with your department / student rep to see if it can be improved. Otherwise there's not really much to be done.
How are we suppose to improve the thinking of the next generation with these professor's?
Someone has to complain to higher authority to make some changes, its terrible for the country
Making grand statements like this is not going to help you particularly either. Focus on what can be improved about your course not on the value of your course to wider society.
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
You can't "get your money back", no. That's not how it works.

If this is a consistent problem then raise it with your department / student rep to see if it can be improved. Otherwise there's not really much to be done. Making grand statements like this is not going to help you particularly either. Focus on what can be improved about your course not on the value of your course to wider society.

But are my statements wrong?
Could you explain how the next generation will improve if the current teaching is sub standard?
But are my statements wrong?
Could you explain how the next generation will improve if the current teaching is sub standard?
No because (unless I'm mistaken) you made this thread to get some advice about what you might be able to do in this scenario, not for a debate. :smile:
No i would disagree, Engineers should never be teaching Mathematics concepts because their understanding of those concepts revolve mainly around concrete example whereas the concepts themselves are abstract

Much of an engineering degree is inherently mathematical, it’s just the tool you use to solve problems that need a numerical answer. You don’t need a mathematics Prof to do that if the skill set required is well within the competence of any professional engineer. Yes, there are times to get a dedicated maths lecturer in (number theory anyone :smile: ) but “basic trig” as needed for the example here really does not come under that category.

I sometimes teach mathematical bits of a course myself while not being a “professional mathematician”. My focus is on the “new stuff” specific to that course, I still expect students to be able to all the underpinning “boring” stuff without holding their hand through basic trig and similar.
Much of an engineering degree is inherently mathematical, it’s just the tool you use to solve problems that need a numerical answer. You don’t need a mathematics Prof to do that if the skill set required is well within the competence of any professional engineer. Yes, there are times to get a dedicated maths lecturer in (number theory anyone :smile: ) but “basic trig” as needed for the example here really does not come under that category.

I sometimes teach mathematical bits of a course myself while not being a “professional mathematician”. My focus is on the “new stuff” specific to that course, I still expect students to be able to all the underpinning “boring” stuff without holding their hand through basic trig and similar.

It was not just basic trigonometry to prove the statement given by the professor
The prove actually extends deeply into mathematical set theory and vector analysis, yet he provided a basic diagram with no labels and says 'Quick test of your trigonometry shows this result'
Is he deluded or he doesnt understand the Mathematics he applying at a deeper level than just a concrete application?
It was not just basic trigonometry to prove the statement given by the professor
The prove actually extends deeply into mathematical set theory and vector analysis, yet he provided a basic diagram with no labels and says 'Quick test of your trigonometry shows this result'
Is he deluded or he doesnt understand the Mathematics he applying at a deeper level than just a concrete application?

Ok, so this looks like a “Type 2 Problem”. It turns out to be non trivial and you found that out by digging into how to solve it. Well done, you get to progress to the next level and nail it if it comes up in the exam.

It’s entirely appropriate on a decent STEM degree that your Profs drop this kind of problem on you. At some point you are going to have to take ownership of a safety critical calculation as a professional engineer, do that with zero hand holding, and stand by the answer, possibly in a court of law. THIS is how you get to develop the required skill set.
Reply 13

What are the chances this will happen?

Pretty close to zero.
Ok, so this looks like a “Type 2 Problem”. It turns out to be non trivial and you found that out by digging into how to solve it. Well done, you get to progress to the next level and nail it if it comes up in the exam.

It’s entirely appropriate on a decent STEM degree that your Profs drop this kind of problem on you. At some point you are going to have to take ownership of a safety critical calculation as a professional engineer, do that with zero hand holding, and stand by the answer, possibly in a court of law. THIS is how you get to develop the required skill set.

No buddy, he doesn't understand Mathematics at a deeper level thats his problem
He understands Mathematics only as a concrete application relevant to his field, he even claims himself in the lecture slides that he isnt a Mathematician
No buddy, he doesn't understand Mathematics at a deeper level thats his problem
He understands Mathematics only as a concrete application relevant to his field, he even claims himself in the lecture slides that he isnt a Mathematician

But do you understand the problem better now having gone through it like this ...... it seems so. That's the required outcome, along with a broader appreciation of the whole problem solving process, so you may be p***ed, but the Prof "wins" in terms of delivering improved student understanding :smile:.
But do you understand the problem better now having gone through it like this ...... it seems so. That's the required outcome, along with a broader appreciation of the whole problem solving process, so you may be p***ed, but the Prof "wins" in terms of delivering improved student understanding :smile:.

hhahahaha you are such a funny guy
The type of guy who "Creates problems for others" to claim "Its for your own benefit buddy"

The type of guy who "Creates problems for others" to claim "Its for your own benefit buddy"

Well funny you should mention this, but yes, actually I do :smile:.

I set problem sheets myself and there are times when I do exactly this with quite specific intent. Nothing better than a student turning up in office hours after they have spent time discovering and then nutting out a tough problem so they can discuss possible solutions and what it all means. If you always hand people easy, pre-digested solutions they don't progress as far or fast.
Initially I kind of agree with you, but after your numerous controversial statement, I have to tell you, your professor isn't likely in the wrong.

I think he understands what he teaches, and decide to left out bits that are irrelevant. Such complicated proof requiring deep maths theory is unnecessary for even a Physics degree, let alone an Engineering one. You can do that for your own pleasure, but if it's too out of scope, and not gonna be in the exam, he doesn't have to explain that for you. Also, if the course has a textbook it likely has all the proof needed.
Also, in fact, having an Engineering prof teaches Maths for Engineering makes more sense. He won't go into topics that are too deep and unrelated. Our Maths prof teaches all the proof and didn't really do any examples (stuff that will be helpful in exams).
Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't have any problems. Knowing something doesn't mean knowing to explain it, and he seems to be a very incompetent teacher.
And there are many good professors out there, so don't lump them into one.
If you want answers to your problems fast, email him. Ask where can you read about the problem, and ask him to change his style of teaching.
Oh yeah, the good ol condescending statement
Because 'Youre less than me' then i dont need to do this
Get a grip mate, im asking you for the answer to that question
This isn't really about you or me, it's about what this thread is for. If you would like advice about how to improve this situation then I'm more than happy to help. There's a different section of the site for Educational Debates, and that's not something I'm particularly interested in today.

Quick Reply

Latest