The Student Room Group

University lectures

Hi,

I am doing a mathematics degree and when I am in lectures, I really struggle to understand all the content covered. Some of this is stuff I can just go away and work out for myself however, there's a portion of it that I never feel I can truly understand. Is this normal for university lectures? Are you really required to understand all the content?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am doing a mathematics degree and when I am in lectures, I really struggle to understand all the content covered. Some of this is stuff I can just go away and work out for myself however, there's a portion of it that I never feel I can truly understand. Is this normal for university lectures? Are you really required to understand all the content?

Hi there

I'm not a Maths student but I study law and I can say this for myself- I don't understand every single concept in the textbooks either (and I doubt anybody even expects us to). There's a lot of content in the textbooks which is not examinable so I steer clear of that unless it's a topic I'm genuinely interested to know more about- it's really about picking your battles. Usually when I struggle with important concepts, I turn to alternative textbooks which might be able to explain them in an easier way. But I know maths is very different to law so if you're really struggling, I would say get in touch with your tutors or professors during office hours and seek clarification on concepts that you're unsure about- that's what the people are there for. You may also get assigned an academic advisor who may be able to assist too. Also, have you tried talking to other students on your course? They might be feeling the same way and if so, you can come up with solutions together by helping each other :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I'm not a Maths student but I study law and I can say this for myself- I don't understand every single concept in the textbooks either (and I doubt anybody even expects us to). There's a lot of content in the textbooks which is not examinable so I steer clear of that unless it's a topic I'm genuinely interested to know more about- it's really about picking your battles. Usually when I struggle with important concepts, I turn to alternative textbooks which might be able to explain them in an easier way. But I know maths is very different to law so if you're really struggling, I would say get in touch with your tutors or professors during office hours and seek clarification on concepts that you're unsure about- that's what the people are there for. You may also get assigned an academic advisor who may be able to assist too. Also, have you tried talking to other students on your course? They might be feeling the same way and if so, you can come up with solutions together by helping each other :smile:

-Himieka

Hi Himieka,
This is really helpful thank you so much :smile:
Hi,

Hey!

Like above, I didn't do maths but used to have a similar struggle so hopefully can help! I always personally found prepping for the lectures (reading and then downloading/printing the slides beforehand) and then just writing little additional notes as the lecturer would explain things really helped me! It may be worth giving it a try? I always found when I didn't do this that the lectures would almost go over my head a little bit, but if i already had an idea of what was being talked about it seemed easier to digest. If not, I'd also recommend speaking to the lecturers during their office hours and they can help explain specific concepts. I'd also say asking students in their final year/masters/PhD if you know of any to explain, as they can sometimes explain things in a way which is easier to digest? :smile:

Hope this helps & best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

Like above, I didn't do maths but used to have a similar struggle so hopefully can help! I always personally found prepping for the lectures (reading and then downloading/printing the slides beforehand) and then just writing little additional notes as the lecturer would explain things really helped me! It may be worth giving it a try? I always found when I didn't do this that the lectures would almost go over my head a little bit, but if i already had an idea of what was being talked about it seemed easier to digest. If not, I'd also recommend speaking to the lecturers during their office hours and they can help explain specific concepts. I'd also say asking students in their final year/masters/PhD if you know of any to explain, as they can sometimes explain things in a way which is easier to digest? :smile:

Hope this helps & best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)

Thanks for the tips Natalie! I’ll give them a try :smile:
Hi,

Hi there!

Struggling to understand the content at university can be frustrating and, it’s totally normal. It's important to remember that adjusting to the academic demands of university can take time and effort. Here are a few suggestions that may help:

Attend lectures and take thorough notes: Actively listen to the lectures and take detailed notes. Reviewing your notes regularly can reinforce the material and help you grasp the content better.

Seek additional resources: If you find the course material challenging, don't hesitate to seek additional resources. Look for textbooks, online tutorials, or academic support services provided by your university.

Form study groups: Collaborating with classmates can be beneficial. Discussing the material with others and sharing different perspectives can enhance your understanding.

Reach out to professors or teaching assistants: If you're struggling with the specifics, don't hesitate to reach out to your professors! They can provide clarification, suggest additional resources, or offer guidance. Typically, the best way to get in touch is by email.

Utilise campus support services: Many universities offer academic support services such as tutoring centres or writing stations. These resources can provide valuable assistance tailored to your specific needs.

Remember, learning is a process, and it's normal to encounter challenges along the way. Stay persistent, seek help when needed, and don't be too hard on yourself!

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Reply 6
Hi,

You should assume that you could be examined on anything covered in the lectures.

You don't say what year you're in, but if you're in the first year you should probably assume that a lot of what you're doing is laying the foundations for your second and third year. So you probably do need to understand everything that is being covered.

As others have suggested, talk to the lecturers concerned in their office hours. They might be able to suggest ways forward.
Hi,

Hi,
I'm not a maths student but a chemistry student.
It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed or struggle with understanding all the content covered in university lectures, especially in a STEM degree. University courses can be quite challenging and often cover complex concepts that may take time to fully grasp. University-level courses are designed to be challenging. They often push students to think critically, abstractly, and in ways that may be different from what you encountered in earlier education. Understanding may not come immediately, and it's normal to revisit topics and build understanding gradually. Concepts are often interconnected, and mastering one area may contribute to understanding others. I find that sometimes, understanding the core concepts is more important than memorising every detail. I try to focus on the fundamental principles and how they apply in different contexts. One of the best ways to get a better understanding for me is by chatting with other people on my course but the lecturers are often happy to help via email or meetings as well.

Good luck with everything
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi,

Hi,

I'm not a maths student but I also feel like this at times on my course. No one can be expected to know everything before it is taught to us so try not to be too hard on yourself.

I find that doing any blended learning before the lecture helps me get some kind of understanding of the topic that will be discussed in the lecture and gives you the best opportunity to follow the lecture.

If there is a certain topic that is consistently causing you stress, I would recommend you contact your module lead and ask if they have any additional slideshows or reading that would help explain the topic to you further. Try to stay on top of teaching by reading the presentations thoroughly before and after the lecture and try to take as many notes as you can to gain a good understanding of the topic.

I hope this is of some help and I wish you the best of luck with your studies,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Hi,

Hi there,

I experienced this a lot in my first year too. Something I think that it can just be overwhelming. I'd suggest paying as much attention in the lectures as possible, taking not of what confuses you. At home try to understand then take advantage of office hours to work everything else out.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending