The Student Room Group

Law at University of Edinburgh

Hello, I recently received an offer to study law at Edinburgh 2020. I’m super excited however I realized that Edinburgh offer a wide variety of joint law courses that I can take. Now I am unsure of what course I should go for (I’m looking to become a human rights lawyer), I want a course that is engaging and less boring than just studying law. If anyone has advice please share I’d really appreciate it, thank you!
Reply 1
Hi! I've actually changed my offer from Law to PPE as I realised that straight law isn't for me upon taking a MOOC, and I enjoy the interdisciplinary nature of the latter course more. (though disclaimer: I am not sure whether I made a right choice) It really just depends on your choice and what you're interested in. A question that I was faced with primarily by my teachers is: it's a lot of effort and time being put into your degree, will you enjoy the choice you've made?

However, in terms of joint law, I've heard advice that a Law degree is already extremely rigourous, and a joint honours degree would make the difficulty harder. I would take this with a pinch of salt.

Maybe consider the pros and cons of both, and go through the module list along with the differences? The choice is really difficult, and I hope that things work out!
Original post by hayzc
Hi! I've actually changed my offer from Law to PPE as I realised that straight law isn't for me upon taking a MOOC, and I enjoy the interdisciplinary nature of the latter course more. (though disclaimer: I am not sure whether I made a right choice) It really just depends on your choice and what you're interested in. A question that I was faced with primarily by my teachers is: it's a lot of effort and time being put into your degree, will you enjoy the choice you've made?

However, in terms of joint law, I've heard advice that a Law degree is already extremely rigourous, and a joint honours degree would make the difficulty harder. I would take this with a pinch of salt.

Maybe consider the pros and cons of both, and go through the module list along with the differences? The choice is really difficult, and I hope that things work out!

Thank you so much for your feedback 🙏🏽 I’ll look into it. I’m really interested in human rights and NGOs...which is what drove me to peruse law. However I tend to lose interest quick so I was hoping that a joint degree in law and international relations would be more engaging (practically) and not just focus on law? idk if It makes sense 😅
Reply 3
That makes sense! I actually considered it before as well, as I also tend to lose interest quickly haha. I think that what helped me come to my decision was taking a few MOOCs (which I regret not doing earlier), and talking to teachers and my peers to gain a bit more self-awareness. Additionally, I asked the people that I would have discussions with what they thought in terms of my suitability for the different programmes I was considering, as they would be aware of the topics I would bring up as a result of what I'm interested in. It's a difficult decision tbf, I hope that things work out!
Original post by hayzc
That makes sense! I actually considered it before as well, as I also tend to lose interest quickly haha. I think that what helped me come to my decision was taking a few MOOCs (which I regret not doing earlier), and talking to teachers and my peers to gain a bit more self-awareness. Additionally, I asked the people that I would have discussions with what they thought in terms of my suitability for the different programmes I was considering, as they would be aware of the topics I would bring up as a result of what I'm interested in. It's a difficult decision tbf, I hope that things work out!

Wow crazy coincidence haha, thank you. Honestly the pressure is overwhelming but we’ll get through this 😂 I appreciate wish you the best in life!
Original post by hayzc

Are you planning to study at University of Edinburgh as well ? If so I’d love to connect with you (if you’d like) it’d be nice to know someone before i go 😂
Reply 6
I'm not, sadly. I'm firming York, so it's not... way too far away I suppose? We could definitely still connect though! Drop your insta, and I'll follow you x
Original post by hayzc
I'm not, sadly. I'm firming York, so it's not... way too far away I suppose? We could definitely still connect though! Drop your insta, and I'll follow you x

Good choice! we honestly could still vibe xD
My instas ‘amirx.t’
Reply 8
Original post by Amira Hatayan
Good choice! we honestly could still vibe xD
My instas ‘amirx.t’

Hi! I just added you

Quick Reply

Latest