The Student Room Group

how to publish in medical school.

Hello,
I am a final year medical student and i would like to publish something to increase my chances of getting into a good foundation programme.
I would prefer to do something on my own.
however I'm clueless to the whole topic.
how do i publish , what do i publish , examples

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Well in days gone by you'd need your own printing press, but these days you can probably just set up a website!
... but yeah, talk to a supervisor or tutor maybe? Hopefully they'd have some contacts you'd be interested in?

Many/most doctors will have ideas that can be published. Most likely observational studies, so collecting and analysing data about patients or hospital services. Alternatively there are lab projects, though those tend to be much harder to actually produce a publication. However in terms of their actual impact they have potential to be far greater.

I'll be honest: there's a lot of luck involved. The more hours you are willing to put in the better, and the more selective with projects you are the better, but there is still a lot of luck.
Is it common to not have publications even as a junior doctor? I'm on the same boat too. I personally know 2 friends who already have publications at medical school so I thought I'm the odd one out.
Reply 4
Original post by medicalstudent20
Hello,
I am a final year medical student and i would like to publish something to increase my chances of getting into a good foundation programme.
I would prefer to do something on my own.
however I'm clueless to the whole topic.
how do i publish , what do i publish , examples

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does you university have an epi department? Also speak to other departments like stats and social sciences. You'd be surprised how often these departments conduct work that overlaps with medicine or health. Are there any research societies at your university?

Publishing by yourself will be challenging if you don't have a strong background in research methods and ideally stats. And just getting access to data that won't come with a bunch of people insisting on input is rare. Publishing as a sole author is not all that great imo.

When do you want to publish by?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending