The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices weak?

I’ve choice History and Sociology as my 2 definite choices. But I can’t decide on whether to do religious studies or business. I got a merit in all my business coursework and exams so I’m assuming that’s what I’m going to get but I would of rather had done religious studies at gcse if I had the choice but I don’t know if they will all be too weak. I’m not sure if business is a stronger A level then religious studies as I’ve always been told it’s looked down on. So I’m not sure whether to go with the one I want but it’s a weak A level or go with the one I’m sort of good at, doesn’t bore me but I just don’t feel like it’ll help me in the future at all (want to go on to study Primary School Education).
Nope you’re subjects are more than fine, all A level subjects, essay subjects, also suitable for teaching
Original post by Amber1874
I’ve choice History and Sociology as my 2 definite choices. But I can’t decide on whether to do religious studies or business. I got a merit in all my business coursework and exams so I’m assuming that’s what I’m going to get but I would of rather had done religious studies at gcse if I had the choice but I don’t know if they will all be too weak. I’m not sure if business is a stronger A level then religious studies as I’ve always been told it’s looked down on. So I’m not sure whether to go with the one I want but it’s a weak A level or go with the one I’m sort of good at, doesn’t bore me but I just don’t feel like it’ll help me in the future at all (want to go on to study Primary School Education).

No there not weak they are suitable.

If you were applying for physics or economics at uni then id say you need to re-think some things. But you want to do primary education, Ive just googled a couple courses and your A-levels look fine.
Generally RE is more respected than business but choose which you enjoy more, your other a levels are great.

Just choose what ever your interested, there aren't really any subjects that are 'weak' or 'strong'.

All you need to worry about is if your subjects meet the entry requirements for your chosen degree. Hypothetically if you wanted to study chemistry, your subjects choice would be very weak, but as you want to study primary education, they are as good as anyone else's subject choices.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SoIndecisive
Generally RE is more respected than business but choose which you enjoy more, your other a levels are great.

Oh I’ve been told that it isn’t that respected and business is better?

Although it isn't a facilitating subject (neither is business) It's still respected and is considered a great a level to have especially if you want to pursue something related or anything humanities or essay based.

The concept of 'facilitating' or 'respected' subjects no longer exists. It's an outdated idea that continues to be perpetuated by misinformed students, teachers and parents. Oxbridge and other elite universities have all confirmed that you can do pretty much any A level and you'll have a shot at any of the courses (assuming you also have the required subjects should there be any). Oxbridge admission tutors have also confirmed this on TSR.

Do whatever subjects you think you'll enjoy and will do well in. Don't worry about what's 'facilitating' or 'respected'; just do the subjects that you like because at the end of the day, the most important thing will be good grades which will be all the easier to get if you actually enjoy your subject.

All you need to concern yourself with for applying to university are a) required grades and b) required subjects (if any).

I repeat - it literally doesn't matter if you choose Business or RS or History or Sociology. Do whichever will motivate you to get a good grade.
(edited 3 years ago)

Original post by SoIndecisive

Neither is considered better or worse than the other generally. I would also note the originators of the term "facilitating subject", the Russell Group consortium, have since stopped using that term and framework. The only two universities that I know of which publish any form of "Preferred subject" lists are LSE and UCL; UCL has business and religious studies as preferred subjects, while LSE has religious studies as a preferred subject with business as a non-preferred subject.

Either subject (or both, if you wanted to swap one of your other subjects) is fine, for education or other degree subjects.
(edited 3 years ago)
I

Hi Amber,

I’m currently a student at CU Scarborough studying the Primary Education and Teaching studies degree. The best thing to do is just double check the entry requirements for each university as different universities expect different subjects and grades. For example on our website you can see the entry requirements on this webpage: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/course-structure/hnc-hnd-degree/2020-21/primary-education/

Have a check at the universities you are interested in and this should help you.

I hope you enjoy your course!

Mel - Student Ambassador at CU Scarborough

Quick Reply

Latest