The Student Room Group

Profile Evaluation for Oxford MSc Financial Economics

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate any input/evaluation of my profile for the MSc Financial Economics at Oxford (2021 entry):

Undergraduate: Economics with Philosophy at Warwick University (Class of 2020)
73% in 1st year (45% economics modules)
73% in 2nd year (65% economics modules)
72% in 3rd year (70% economics modules) with three financial economics modules

GMAT: 740 (Q50,V40) with 6 AWA and 8 IR
Nationality: Indian (relevant because of the highly competitive pool)

Work Experience
1 year commercial industrial placement at a leading cosmetic multinational (think Estee Lauder/Loreal/LVMH)
Compliance summer internship at a bulge bracket bank
Risk Management summer internship at another bulge bracket bank

University Experience
President of a non-finance society with 200 members
Head of a supporting (think marketing/designing/events) division of the main finance society
Head of a supporting (think marketing/designing/events) division of the financial technology/venture capital society

Other
Python programming (advanced beginner with roughly 300 hours of work)
Bunch of online finance courses
Original post by jay_248
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate any input/evaluation of my profile for the MSc Financial Economics at Oxford (2021 entry):

Undergraduate: Economics with Philosophy at Warwick University (Class of 2020)
73% in 1st year (45% economics modules)
73% in 2nd year (65% economics modules)
72% in 3rd year (70% economics modules) with three financial economics modules

GMAT: 740 (Q50,V40) with 6 AWA and 8 IR
Nationality: Indian (relevant because of the highly competitive pool)

Work Experience
1 year commercial industrial placement at a leading cosmetic multinational (think Estee Lauder/Loreal/LVMH)
Compliance summer internship at a bulge bracket bank
Risk Management summer internship at another bulge bracket bank

University Experience
President of a non-finance society with 200 members
Head of a supporting (think marketing/designing/events) division of the main finance society
Head of a supporting (think marketing/designing/events) division of the financial technology/venture capital society

Other
Python programming (advanced beginner with roughly 300 hours of work)
Bunch of online finance courses

What are you going to do in the year between you graduate + master's?
Reply 2
I'd say your profile is really strong. I got waitlisted for the MFE programme this year with slightly worse grades (a lower first from Durham instead of Warwick) and a 730 GMAT. My extras were quite similar to yours. What I will say stats wise is that having high Quant with a lower verbal will definitely work in your favour- during my interview they told me that my higher verbal with lower quant was a negative.

Overall, I'd say you tick the boxes in terms of prerequisites, and would be shocked if you didn't get an interview. From there your performance in the interview definitely matters a lot, so do as much prep as you can and make sure you stay clued up with your econ and finance. Good luck overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending