The Student Room Group

University Relationships

Okay, so I’m 18, just about going in to University in September. And I’m in a relationship with my boyfriend whom is 24 years old. He’s not going to university, he’s past the stage of wanting to go. We’ve talked about me going to university before & what it determines in our relationship. We’ve both said we don’t want to spilt as our relationship is thriving. I personally don’t want to leave him & he said on many occasions he will wait for me. I trust him & he trusts me. I’m just nervous with the fact of university approaching and reading advice on not going to university in a relationship..? Does that only apply to people who are of similar age? My boyfriend and I are already long distance so it wouldn’t change anything in that aspect. Well long distance where we can’t exactly say “I’ll meet you after work/later”, but he’s only and hour and a bit drive away (we are able to make it work where we can see each other often). I just want advice, because I’d say our relationship is strong, we’re both committed, and are understanding of one and other. But anxiety is starting to set in...

edit: finished my 1st year and we’re still together☺️
(edited 2 years ago)
If its thriving why you worrying unless you have other intentions when you get there? Just make it clear to male friends you have a bf and don't be shallow and wait until they make a move on you or something. They should respect your boundaries if not kick em out. You will probably meet guys who are into to you but just be honest
Most relationships don’t work when one / both goes to university but this is by no means definitive and there’s definitely people that stay together throughout the experience.

Honestly all you can do is try it, if you want to stay with him now then stay with him and if it still works when you go to university then great but if it doesn’t at least you tried.
I think it will only get worse but its your decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending