The Student Room Group

Settling in at uni - any funny or useful stories?

Hi everyone,

Some of you will be sick of me by now, I'm sure! I've been writing some articles on various aspects of student life for a magazine aimed at students.

I'm writing a 'settling in at uni feature' as an advice guide for those starting at university this year.

I was hoping some of you may have some funny/useful experiences on the following that you might like to share:

Anyone have any stories about flatmates from hell? How did you cope?

Did anyone start university, only to realise that you hated your course? If so, what did you do about it?

Hope to hear from some of you soon,

Thanks in advance,
Mel
Reply 1
This one time, me and my friends ate the warden's cat.
Reply 2
My first day of uni, ahh what a day, i moved into my flat, and got greeted by a "mature" student who had already moved in, 26 yr old, least mature person ive met in my life. Straight away didnt like him, so ignored him!
Then these 2 guys moved in, and i was bored by this point as id moved in, and was too lazy to unpack, the first of these 2 who moved in, "want to go down the pub?" sure, so we went down the pub, came back met the 3rd guy, "to the pub?" and we went back to the pub.
And that was pretty much the routine of our first year :smile:
Reply 3
phil has forgotten to mention the fact that he was given said room only to find by the end of freshers week that he was in the wrong flat!
Reply 4
ok yes that is also true! Then the next week i had to move 2 floors up, to the top floor
Hmm.... the freshers rep who showed me my room promptly had an epileptic fit... quite a scary first five minutes! Yeah, well...
edit: Just realised that this thread so far seems to be Lancaster-dominated.... hmm....
Reply 6
all the cool kids go to lancaster teao!!
Reply 7
Teao the Cat
Hmm.... the freshers rep who showed me my room promptly had an epileptic fit... quite a scary first five minutes! Yeah, well...
edit: Just realised that this thread so far seems to be Lancaster-dominated.... hmm....

as if you werent tense enough without that happening.
Advice: PACK LOO ROLL! There won't be any in your flat when you get there, and if you've had a long journey and are more than 5 minutes from a supermarket... well, you'll regret it!
Someone pooed in the curry :no:
Sick Puppy
Someone pooed in the curry :no:

Lol! What.

I'm taking the advice of packing toilet paper now. Nightmare images have been planted in my head of the dreaded follow-through.
Reply 11
Thanks guys - anyone have to move halls because their flatmates were terrible?
Reply 12
Turned up at halls first, passing two delivery-looking guys on the stairs carrying a fridge only to realise that evening that they had robbed us! The shame!
Reply 13
First night in halls we were all getting to know each other, playing cards drinking etc, i got over excited at winning a hand and i split ribbena all over my new flatmate and stained her jeans :-s whoops
Reply 14
Thanks for your input guys.

Did anyone get to university and find it wasn't quite what you expected? Anyone get there and realise they'd chosen the wrong course, or found they really struggled with the workload?

Hope to hear from some of you soon,

Thanks again,
Mel
Reply 15
yep i got to uni, and basically for the first 2 weeks i was actually given the wrong time table - and was studying law or something, when i should have been studying business. lol

i didnt really notice because i didnt pay much attention in class. it was only when i went to see my module lecturer that he pointed out that i shouldnt be in the class.

so basically i had to switch to classes that were relevant to my course - and the 'groups' had already been formed in the classes, so i was the "new guy"...

ah well didnt matter too much, atleast i learned a bit of law..
Reply 16
Didn't they ask why you hadn't noticed?
BTW two warnings with just 13 posts you are a god.

Latest

Trending

Trending