The Student Room Group

How to settle into university accommodation

Hi everyone!

It's now August, meaning that for a lot of you, starting university is coming soon (how exciting!). I’ve noticed a few posts in this forum about accommodation, in particular anxieties about moving into University accommodation.

If you're moving into university accommodation and you’re feeling nervous, please know that it’s a very very common feeling. It’s a new place with new people, which can feel quite overwhelming.

I thought it would be helpful for people starting in September to have a thread where people who have done it before (current students, former students, uni reps) can give some of their top tips about moving into University accommodation and how to settle in.

My tip: bring something calming and/or sentimental.

I find fairy lights very soothing, so I made sure to bring them. But to make it more special I had tiny pink pegs that I used to hang little pictures of family and friends onto the string of the fairy lights. This definitely helped ease my nerves over the first few nights.

I look forward to hearing other people’s tips!:smile:

If you have any other questions, then please don’t hesitate to reach out! Best of luck in September:smile:

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi everyone!

It's now August, meaning that for a lot of you, starting university is coming soon (how exciting!). I’ve noticed a few posts in this forum about accommodation, in particular anxieties about moving into University accommodation.

If you're moving into university accommodation and you’re feeling nervous, please know that it’s a very very common feeling. It’s a new place with new people, which can feel quite overwhelming.

I thought it would be helpful for people starting in September to have a thread where people who have done it before (current students, former students, uni reps) can give some of their top tips about moving into University accommodation and how to settle in.

I find fairy lights very soothing, so I made sure to bring them. But to make it more special I had tiny pink pegs that I used to hang little pictures of family and friends onto the string of the fairy lights. This definitely helped ease my nerves over the first few nights.

If you have any other questions, then please don’t hesitate to reach out! Best of luck in September:smile:

Bethan

Love this idea!

I moved to York St John uni, which is very far away from where I live so I couldn't visit home until Christmas which was a bit daunting for me. I totally agree that bringing things which make your room feel more personal can help to make your space comfortable and homely. I brought loads of blankets to make my room super cosy and lots of photos of family and friends. Also, sometimes the accommodation has funny smells so I brought a reed diffuser with me because we weren't allowed candles.

I would advise that you try not to worry about being alone because everyone is in the same situation. I kind of wish I'd not been as anxious and put myself out there more. However, there is no obligation to be really outgoing and make friends with everyone- just take each day as it comes and enjoy yourself!

Good luck to anyone who is starting university in September! :smile:

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Hi everyone!

Bethan

Hi Bethan!

As an international student at DMU, I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread and offering some great tips for settling into university accommodation. I totally agree with your suggestion to bring something calming or sentimental - in my case, it's a blanket that I've had since I was a child. It might seem silly, but it really helps me feel more at home in my new room.

One thing I would add to your list of tips is to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Whether it's joining a club or society that interests you, attending a social event, or striking up a conversation with someone new, university is all about exploring new opportunities and making connections. And who knows - you might just discover a new passion or make a lifelong friend in the process!

Thanks again for starting this thread and offering your insights. Best of luck to you and all the new students starting in September!

Take care,
- Ilya:smile:
Hey!

So the number 1 thing I reccomend bringing is photos from home! Not only does it remind you to keep in contact with those from home (easy to get caught up in uni life!), they also make a good talking point with your new friends, as well as nice memories.

My top tip for moving in is pack as if you've gor to go up 4 flights of stairs! You might! And it's easier to carry 10 light bags than 5 heavy boxes. I wish I'd known this before finding out I was on the top floor.

Kat
Hi @ExeterStudentRep,

What a great idea!

It has been said many times before, but I'd recommend bringing photos! It really helped me to settle in once I'd put all of them up, and it made my room feel more like it did back at home. My fairy lights and the blanket I'd always have on my bed also helped to calm my nerves when I was pushing myself out of my comfort zone!

Also, I'd recommend going into the common room (if there is one) in that first week. This is where I met the majority of my friends, and it's a great place to get to know the people you will be living with. Some people brought snacks and games, which were great ice-breakers - we had a lot of fun!

Hope this helps,
Isabella
Hi everyone!

Bethan
Hi everyone!

Bethan

Hey Bethan! Great thread :smile:

I'd definitely agree with lots of the comments about personalising your room and bringing items that hold a special place in your heart! Getting to know your flatmates early helps diminish some of the anxiety, so when you first arrive I'd say leave your door open so as people pass you can say hi, and I'd also bring chocolates or something as an icebreaker. I'd also recommend checking out the common area to find new people to chat to, but also to see if there's any flyers hanging around with information on upcoming events and activities you can get involved in :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending