The Student Room Group

How do I develop my personality?

So a little bit of background. I'm in my second year of university and my whole life I've been a shy, introverted guy with social anxiety. When I came to uni and saw how social everyone else was I made it a mission to kill my social anxiety (not become a total extrovert but just become loose around people). I've made a lot of progress in the last and I'm proud of myself. I'm definitely less socially awkward now than I was a year ago.

One problem I'm having is that I have a very stoic, dull and boring personality. I almost feel like an NPC at times. I just don't have the ability to banter with people or be like a kid,loosen up and do stupid **** sometimes . It's quite frustrating because it's stopped me from bonding with people. I very rarely do crack a joke or say something funny and I'm so bad a bantering with people that the one comment I made will make my day and I'll go to bed thinking "I made that funny comment today and everyone laughed!".

Please suggest to me any ways I could just loosen up and have a more lively and fun personality?
Reply 1
I know how you feel. It is something im workin on myself. I watch alot of youtube videos on advice i can reccommend some. But i believe the best thing you can do is to do practical things, do the things your uncomfartable with until they become comfortable. Also get rid of that voice in your head filling you with doubt and just be authentic. I know its gonna be hard I still havent reached there yet.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
First of all, it's fantastic to hear about the progress you've made in overcoming social anxiety and becoming more comfortable around people. To develop a livelier personality and build on this achievement:

- Observe naturally lively people to learn how they interact and use humor.
- Incorporate playfulness into your interactions through light teasing, puns, or funny stories.
- Stay informed about current events and trends as conversation starters.
- Gradually push your boundaries by setting small goals for each social interaction.
- Encourage engaging conversations by asking open-ended questions that prompt sharing.
- Draw inspiration from fun friends whose energy is contagious.
- Remember that enhancing your personality is about adding layers to your existing self, not a complete change.
- Be patient and celebrate small victories, like a funny comment, as you gradually build on them.

With time, you'll discover a balanced and authentic approach that suits you.
Reply 3
Original post by NiamR
I know how you feel. It is something im workin on myself. I watch alot of youtube videos on advice i can reccommend some. But i believe the best thing you can do is to do practical things, do the things your uncomfartable with until they become comfortable. Also get rid of that voice in your head filling you with doubt and just be authentic. I know its gonna be hard I still havent reached there yet.

I understand your approach and think it's sensible. Personal growth and improving social interactions are journeys. Watching YouTube videos for advice is smart. Practical experience and being authentic are vital. Overcoming discomfort gradually leads to more comfort. The inner voice of doubt is something to overcome for better connections. Progress takes time, but your efforts matter. Keep going, and you'll make meaningful progress.
Reply 4
Original post by London79
I understand your approach and think it's sensible. Personal growth and improving social interactions are journeys. Watching YouTube videos for advice is smart. Practical experience and being authentic are vital. Overcoming discomfort gradually leads to more comfort. The inner voice of doubt is something to overcome for better connections. Progress takes time, but your efforts matter. Keep going, and you'll make meaningful progress.

Yh thanks man. I'm really working on it and feel i know the right path. But its hard to make progress i feel like i know how to improve but actually doing it in the moment is a different story, i just resort back to my awkward self. At some point i want to be able to approach anyone on the street and start a conversation. Also idk if this is common but when talking in large gathering my voice is like strained i literally cannot raise my voice im like straining to get words out that people can hear. Seeing people with such natural charisma and humour is just painful but i will try get there one day. You seem well educated are you like a pyschologist or just someone who knows about this stuff lol
Reply 5
Original post by NiamR
Yh thanks man. I'm really working on it and feel i know the right path. But its hard to make progress i feel like i know how to improve but actually doing it in the moment is a different story, i just resort back to my awkward self. At some point i want to be able to approach anyone on the street and start a conversation. Also idk if this is common but when talking in large gathering my voice is like strained i literally cannot raise my voice im like straining to get words out that people can hear. Seeing people with such natural charisma and humour is just painful but i will try get there one day. You seem well educated are you like a pyschologist or just someone who knows about this stuff lol

Hey there, it’s great to hear that you’re actively working on improving yourself and your social skills that’s a fantastic first step! Don’t worry, many people face similar challenges. It’s completely normal to feel like you know what to do but struggle to implement it in the moment. Remember, progress takes time and practice. While you practice, don’t look back and don’t worry about what others think; concentrate on your practice. Afterwards, you can reflect on how the interaction went.

The desire to approach anyone on the street and start a conversation is a commendable goal, and with consistent effort, you’ll get there. It’s essential to consider that not everyone likes to be approached randomly. Start by approaching people you can relate to and have common ground with.

It’s also common to feel strained when speaking in large gatherings; this strain could be related to anxiety or a lack of confidence. Working on your confidence and communication skills can help ease that tension over time.

As for me, I’m not a psychologist, but I have knowledge about various topics, including personal development and social skills. I’m currently on the path to earning a Master’s in Systemic and Family Therapy. Just out of curiosity, could you specify the type of gathering you’re referring to? Is it in a lecture or presentation setting, a social event or party, a work or networking event, or something else? This would help me provide more tailored advice and insights based on your specific situation.
Reply 6
You’re doing fine. Working on extending your comfort zone by more interactions is what it’s about. Take encouragement from times when you feel happy with yourself and learn what you can from more gregarious folk. People can’t totally change their personality and it’s fine to be shy and not the life and soul of every party. I final larger social gatherings particularly awkward and do tend to rely on modest alcohol consumption to help at the start
Reply 7
Original post by London79
Hey there, it’s great to hear that you’re actively working on improving yourself and your social skills that’s a fantastic first step! Don’t worry, many people face similar challenges. It’s completely normal to feel like you know what to do but struggle to implement it in the moment. Remember, progress takes time and practice. While you practice, don’t look back and don’t worry about what others think; concentrate on your practice. Afterwards, you can reflect on how the interaction went.

The desire to approach anyone on the street and start a conversation is a commendable goal, and with consistent effort, you’ll get there. It’s essential to consider that not everyone likes to be approached randomly. Start by approaching people you can relate to and have common ground with.

It’s also common to feel strained when speaking in large gatherings; this strain could be related to anxiety or a lack of confidence. Working on your confidence and communication skills can help ease that tension over time.

As for me, I’m not a psychologist, but I have knowledge about various topics, including personal development and social skills. I’m currently on the path to earning a Master’s in Systemic and Family Therapy. Just out of curiosity, could you specify the type of gathering you’re referring to? Is it in a lecture or presentation setting, a social event or party, a work or networking event, or something else? This would help me provide more tailored advice and insights based on your specific situation.

Thanks! As for your question definitely in social gatherings. This might not be relevant because maybe my voice is just naturally weaker but at festivals or places with loud music I tend to struggle to speak to someone because my voice is overshadowed by the music( which isn't anything crazy) but then everyone around people can project their voice way louder and I can hear them fine. Don't know if it's confidence or more biological stuff (voicebox) but since my voice deepened I felt it's been weaker. But anyway in social situations in my friend group I tend to not speak for a while and then when I do it's not with much strength even with a croak or something. Which then I have to repeat and it just ruins the whole meaning of what I say. I think this occurs because I don't feel I belong in my friend group, I'm hoping to find new people at uni so I can reinvent myself. I think it's pretty hard to change when you are surrounded by the same people as you tend to become what they expect you to be. Yh I agree I need to improve my confidence in what I'm saying because with certain people I'm loud and energetic ( can even be quite extroverted) but then as soon as I'm with the whole friend group I'm quiet and monotone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending