The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How much will it cost to live in halls?

Hi I'm in Year 12 and I am hoping to go to UCL.
I used to think that university cost 9 grand a year, therefore 27K in total.
However I read the UCL prospectus and it said that halls of residence cost £280 per WEEK. Therefore £1120 per month, times by 11=around £12,000. Then if I add the 9K (I'll leave out living costs), I'd be at around 20K per YEAR. So £60K+ for an entire undergrad degree? I obviously won't live in halls for 3 years, but I've checked the properties in London and they cost around 1K a month on average, so it will still total to aroundd 20K a year.

Have I done the maths right? Also how does anyone afford that? Is it cheaper at other universities?
Reply 1
Sounds about right yeah but student finance should cover all of it. You can pay the loans back when you earn above a certain amount.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What do you want to study at UCL, if you don’t mind me asking
Maintenance loan quite often doesn't provide enough to live on in London halls.
Reply 4
Original post by xXThEsMarTBaNanA
Sounds about right yeah but student finance should cover all of it. You can pay the loans back when you earn above a certain amount.

Oh my gosh, I was really hoping I was wrong:s-smilie: And so you don't have to pay until you have a job?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
What do you want to study at UCL, if you don’t mind me asking

London is my favourite city in the world. UCL has a very high reputation for the degree I want to study. I know people in London and I personally believe the city's 'vibe' (cringe word I know) is unmatchable. Starting to wonder if it's worth 60K though. I might check out other options if they are considerably cheaper.
Oh my gosh, I was really hoping I was wrong:s-smilie: And so you don't have to pay until you have a job?

you start paying back when you graduate and go into a job with a salary of £25,000 or it’s somewhere around here :smile:
Reply 7
Maintenance loan quite often doesn't provide enough to live on in London halls.

Oh dear:eek:
I will try and get a job somewhere as a waitress or something. Also I am very fortunate to have a trust fund that I will definitely have to use.
Reply 8
you start paying back when you graduate and go into a job with a salary of £25,000 or it’s somewhere around here :smile:

Oh, okay. I guess that's not too bad but still it's quite a scary debt to be in. Thank you for the help :smile:
There is a tool on money saving expert that shows how long (if ever) it will take you to repay your loans.
London is my favourite city in the world. UCL has a very high reputation for the degree I want to study. I know people in London and I personally believe the city's 'vibe' (cringe word I know) is unmatchable. Starting to wonder if it's worth 60K though. I might check out other options if they are considerably cheaper.

I think the previous user asked what degree you want to study😂

I mean what course
Original post by motivatedmadman
I think the previous user asked what degree you want to study😂

I mean what course

Oh sorry, I read 'why do you want to study at UCL' not 'what'!
I want to study Law. Perhaps Law with French Law with involves a year abroad in a very prestigious French university. :smile:
Original post by ReadingMum
There is a tool on money saving expert that shows how long (if ever) it will take you to repay your loans.

Will check it out thank you very much :smile:
The quoted £12k a year to live in halls sounds quite expensive.
As an undergrad I couldn't afford halls so rented a room in private London houseshares.

Friends who did live on London uni campuses or in student only accommodation told me that they were paying between £128-£170 a week.
I've never paid more than £460 a month in a London houseshare with all bills included.
If you check out sites like spareroom.co.uk you'll probably be able to find more affordable rental options.
Original post by londonmyst
The quoted £12k a year to live in halls sounds quite expensive.
As an undergrad I couldn't afford halls so rented a room in private London houseshares.

Friends who did live on London uni campuses or in student only accommodation told me that they were paying between £128-£170 a week.
I've never paid more than £460 a month in a London houseshare with all bills included.
If you check out sites like spareroom.co.uk you'll probably be able to find more affordable rental options.

Oh thank you that sounds fairly affordable (for London at least), I will be sure to do some research on that.
And I'm just going off what the prospects said, £280 a week, I've not looked into that number further.
When my daughter was looking at RVC in London there were 2 halls offered.
RVC College Grove £8,376 self catered - only 80ish places for 250 strong cohort so international and travelling from furthest away are prioritised
RVC Mary Brancker House £10,403 self catered. Eye watering cost when you think that London max maintenance loan is £12,010.
I was not that disappointed that she is not going there (since I will be making up the difference between min maintenance loan and what she actually needs)
When my daughter was looking at RVC in London there were 2 halls offered.
RVC College Grove £8,376 self catered - only 80ish places for 250 strong cohort so international and travelling from furthest away are prioritised
RVC Mary Brancker House £10,403 self catered. Eye watering cost when you think that London max maintenance loan is £12,010.
I was not that disappointed that she is not going there (since I will be making up the difference between min maintenance loan and what she actually needs)

Jesus, that's insane! I can't speak for RVC, but UCL's halls don't even seem worthy of their costs. And I didn't realise that the maintenance loan is only £12,010! That would leave me £10 to survive on for the entire year!!
Jesus, that's insane! I can't speak for RVC, but UCL's halls don't even seem worthy of their costs. And I didn't realise that the maintenance loan is only £12,010! That would leave me £10 to survive on for the entire year!!

The max loan is that. Many don't get the max
The £9250 a year is just a tuition fee, you then need to pay for accommodation. I’m starting imperial in October, the accommodation ranges from around £150-£230 a week, 38 week contracts. So you need to pay for the accommodation but that’s what the maintenance loan is for. The more your parents earn, the more they’ll be expected to help you pay for living costs and stuff so you’ll get less maintenance loan. The amount changes every year (normally increases in line with inflation) but minimum maintenance loan for my year is around £5600 which will barely cover accommodation but people manage so you’ll be fine. Just get a job and then you don’t pay the loan back until you earn over a certain amount and even then it’s only like 4% of what you earn a month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending