The Student Room Group

Urgent Advice Needed!

Hi, I'm picking my options for A level choices today, and I'm looking for a bit more advice to confirm my choices.

I've definitely chosen 3/4 subjects and they are English Literature, Geography and Business Studies.

However, I'm struggling with the forth.
I was going to do English Language; but I have been told it is potentially very restrictive, to chose two English subjects.

Alternative is Physics. However, I am concerned about this as I did double science, whereas others in the class will have done triple science. I am worried that this may leave me at a significant disadvantage. Also, i'm not doing maths for A level. Will GCSE Maths at A* be sufficient to allow me to do the course?

Edit: I would like to go onto University after a levels, but I am not sure what I want to study, is the English likely to restrict these options open to me?

Please help, as I have to confirm my choices at 11am!!!!!!!!!:no:
Reply 1
What do you want to do/are you thinking about doing at university? Or do you want to keep your options open as you're not yet sure?

Unless you decide to go into that field (creative writing, journalism etc), I think English language will restrict your options - and even if Eng Lang may be useful for some degrees, I think Eng Lit would do the job as well anyway. I would probably advise picking something else.

I think doing Physics without maths should be manageable if you're mathematically strong, but I think most people would take maths anyway. Plus, just doing Physics on its own wouldn't open many more options at all - to do a physical science/computer science/engineering etc at university maths is a prerequisite. Why not consider doing Maths instead? Maths will complement any subject combination and would be useful for doing any degree; plus you can open doors into maths, finance, economics etc.

Double science should be fine to do any A-level science (although I'm not sure if you mean the new core/additional science GCSE stuff which I don't know much about?). The triple science people may have more of a headstart at the beginning, but if you work hard enough you should be able to catch up.

Have you considered perhaps History, a foreign language or Economics?
Reply 2
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I take your point about Physics not necessarily opening more options. I will speak with the college at my interview today, and explore the possibility of taking History

Thanks again

Latest