The Student Room Group

University courses careers with A level Biology and Chemistry

So i'm starting the UCAS application process and i don't rly know what course I wanna do. I want to get into a private sector job maybe to do with medical research or something along the lines of that. I've done some research and found loads of courses. I'm torn between biochemistry, biomedical science, pharmacology, medicine, microbiology and molecular biology. Is there any way to get into research without a Msc or PhD?P.S. I study the A levels Biology, Chemistry and Sociology.
Original post by FreshBlaze
So i'm starting the UCAS application process and i don't rly know what course I wanna do. I want to get into a private sector job maybe to do with medical research or something along the lines of that. I've done some research and found loads of courses. I'm torn between biochemistry, biomedical science, pharmacology, medicine, microbiology and molecular biology. Is there any way to get into research without a Msc or PhD?P.S. I study the A levels Biology, Chemistry and Sociology.

apart from medicine the courses don't differ from each other that much tbh, although biomed and pharmacology are somewhat different.

definitely look into pharmacology but i would focus most on getting work experience in an office not a lab.

" there any way to get into research without a Msc or PhD"
no.
unless you want to live the rest of your life on the minimum wage
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
apart from medicine the courses don't differ from each other that much tbh, although biomed and pharmacology are somewhat different.

definitely look into pharmacology but i would focus most on getting work experience in an office not a lab.

no.

What careers can i get into with an undergraduate pharmacology bachelors degree?
What careers can i get into with an undergraduate pharmacology bachelors degree?

none specifically which is why non-lab based work experience is so important. i learnt the hard way
Reply 4
none specifically which is why non-lab based work experience is so important. i learnt the hard way

Work experience isn't really the most viable option rn because of quarantine but i'll definitely be on the lookout. Would you recommend getting an undergraduate degree medicine? because i've done some research and found that I could possibly become a medical scientist with a bachelor of medicine and surgery degree.
Work experience isn't really the most viable option rn because of quarantine but i'll definitely be on the lookout. Would you recommend getting an undergraduate degree medicine? because i've done some research and found that I could possibly become a medical scientist with a bachelor of medicine and surgery degree.

if you're going to put in 5-6 years of effort, you best become a proper doctor with a medicine degree! some do go into research though. my ex did medicine and found it required supreme levels of dedication and commitment, having to memorise the most insane levels of detail about humans, diseases and drugs and all at the same time having strong people-skills to deal with patients
Reply 6

no.

Work experience in an office doing what?
Original post by Mr.Damo
Work experience in an office doing what?

anything that demonstrates customer/client focus and people skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending