The Student Room Group

Mitigating Circumstances

Hey,
I am applying for either Chemistry or Geography at Oxford St Andrews KCL UCL and Lancaster.

I was involved in a terrorist incident where I was chased by a gunman - does this count as mitigating circumstances for uni? I have had flashbacks since that have affected my work but never had diagnosis from GPs. I’ve heard oxford just take your word for it and just take it as part of the application and don’t need supporting info.

Thanks everyone :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hey,
I am applying for either Chemistry or Geography at Oxford St Andrews KCL UCL and Lancaster.

I was involved in a terrorist incident where I was chased by a gunman - does this count as mitigating circumstances for uni? I have had flashbacks since that have affected my work but never had diagnosis from GPs. I’ve heard oxford just take your word for it and just take it as part of the application and don’t need supporting info.

@Oxford Mum ?
Hey,

A diagnosis is pretty much the standard threshold for it being a serious enough condition for mitigation. Was the timing wrong for mitigation to be applied to your A level grades? You can't have it applied twice for the same thing.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
A diagnosis is pretty much the standard threshold for it being a serious enough condition for mitigation. Was the timing wrong for mitigation to be applied to your A level grades? You can't have it applied twice for the same thing.

I have just never been diagnosed, so maybe that would help. It would be applied to both my GCSE and AS performance, I’m going into Year 13 now so i’m not quite sure what you mean
Hey,

This feels like such a troll alert.... 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
This feels like such a troll alert.... 😂

It actually isn’t, i’m asking a serious question which i’m hoping for an answer to - i wish to stay anomymous because my experiences are personal. So don’t worry i’m really not a troll haha😂
I have just never been diagnosed, so maybe that would help. It would be applied to both my GCSE and AS performance, I’m going into Year 13 now so i’m not quite sure what you mean

So if there is a mitigation measure applied to your A levels, say you got extra time, or 2% was added to your mark or whatever, then that's the mitigation applied. Thereafter, because the mitigation has been applied, you don't get further mitigation when you use the grades for university.

Taking an extreme example, if someone had mitigating circumstances for A levels and had the B grade increased to an A. Then the university accepts the A grade, it doesn't apply mitigation and consider they got an A*.

Of course, you had a horrible experience, and it might have affected more than your study and your grades. But if you need some other consideration in the process, the threshold is usually that a Doctor says you have symptoms of something and the help/adjustment is necessary.
It actually isn’t, i’m asking a serious question which i’m hoping for an answer to - i wish to stay anomymous because my experiences are personal. So don’t worry i’m really not a troll haha😂

Haha, Anon post's can be dangerous around here, you know that lol.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
So if there is a mitigation measure applied to your A levels, say you got extra time, or 2% was added to your mark or whatever, then that's the mitigation applied. Thereafter, because the mitigation has been applied, you don't get further mitigation when you use the grades for university.

Taking an extreme example, if someone had mitigating circumstances for A levels and had the B grade increased to an A. Then the university accepts the A grade, it doesn't apply mitigation and consider they got an A*.

Of course, you had a horrible experience, and it might have affected more than your study and your grades. But if you need some other consideration in the process, the threshold is usually that a Doctor says you have symptoms of something and the help/adjustment is necessary.

Ah OK thank you for this! I think I will go to my GP and get a cover letter that can be sent alongside my application to Oxford and the other universities - thank you! No mitigation was put into place for my GCSEs as I was still in denial and school were un aware.
Hey,

I know I shouldn't laugh but I was in stitches for a bit. :lol:

I hope you're alright OP.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Haha, Anon post's can be dangerous around here, you know that lol.

Haha yeah i know!!
Original post by ScrLk0

What was funny - Thanks though
Oh bloody hell, I hope you're alright! I can't even imagine going through that and the aftershocks of it! I clicked on this post because I assumed it was for mitigating circumstances for uni (for which I have tons of experience) but read it and thought i'd message. Hope it gets sorted for you
What was funny - Thanks though

I was expecting a generic mitigating circumstances scenario but I was hit with the chased by a terrorist image.

You must have spoken to the police at the time and given a statement? If so, if you still have their contact details you can contact them. They might be willing to confirm what happened/write you a letter. Good luck.
Oh bloody hell, I hope you're alright! I can't even imagine going through that and the aftershocks of it! I clicked on this post because I assumed it was for mitigating circumstances for uni (for which I have tons of experience) but read it and thought i'd message. Hope it gets sorted for you

Thank you so much I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by ScrLk0
I was expecting a generic mitigating circumstances scenario but I was hit with the chased by a terrorist image.

You must have spoken to the police at the time and given a statement? If so, if you still have their contact details you can contact them. They might be willing to confirm what happened/write you a letter. Good luck.

Ah OK I understand where you were coming from. It actually happened abroad in Europe whilst I was on holiday, and luckily the Police were there and caught him before anything happened, I then ran away to try and find my family who I’d been displaced from, and then we just wanted to be safe and there was little talk of it, so may be difficult.
Ah OK I understand where you were coming from. It actually happened abroad in Europe whilst I was on holiday, and luckily the Police were there and caught him before anything happened, I then ran away to try and find my family who I’d been displaced from, and then we just wanted to be safe and there was little talk of it, so may be difficult.

You can still have trauma and it can affect people years later! It's not like you can control it so I hope they will be understanding
Original post by ScrLk0

I think it's such a serious experience...and then the very casual....

Hi Azby, I am very sorry to hear this. I certainly don’t think this is amusing in the slightest. If you are still suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, have you spoken about this to your Gp? You may be able to get counselling, which should help.

I imagine if you feel able to tell us strangers, you will have told your teachers as well, especially if it has affected your performance. Your parents will also be able to confirm what happened.

The teachers will then be able to include this in the mitigating circumstances part of the ucas form.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi Azby, I am very sorry to hear this. I certainly don’t think this is amusing in the slightest. If you are still suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, have you spoken about this to your Gp? You may be able to get counselling, which should help.

I imagine if you feel able to tell us strangers, you will have told your teachers as well, especially if it has affected your performance. Your parents will also be able to confirm what happened.

The teachers will then be able to include this in the mitigating circumstances part of the ucas form.

Hi Oxford Mum - I’m not Azby I think he/she just tagged you in! And thank you so much - my head of year is aware but I just feel difficult talking to people about it in person because i feel a bit of a burden, hence why I have been able to do this post online. It has affected me during mock exams and gcses, but I’ve never really been open enough to admit that it has - i am going to the GP next week hopefully and that will give me some more help. Thanks Oxford Mum!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending