The Student Room Group

I think im addicted to stock investing

So recently, I have started investing thousands Into stocks that I think will explode in the near future (I.I.AMD,McDonalds,cineworld (low stock price right now) and quite a few more over the last 3 weeks.

I currently have about 2k in the bank account right now and have a 15k stock portfolio and yesterday I was going to buy myself a electric scooter for £400 but I didnt as I couldn't bring myself to actually spend £400 as my mind keeps telling me "That £400 can be spent on stocks to make you a richer man in the future,dont waste it on the scooter as one day that £400 will triple itself" I get these thoughts everytime I buy something other than food.

I love stock investing as I enjoy the research and financial side and ofcourse how its going to benifit my future as I'm only 19 but do you think I may be a little too addicted? Naturally I have always wanted to be the richest man in the room.
Apps are making it so easy to buy stocks. Don't let it take over your life; you're only 19, I'd encourage you to spend your money on what makes you happy. You have the rest of your life ahead of you.

It's good to have ambition, though, and as an aspirational businesswoman, I admire yours. Maybe relax it a little. Instead of compulsively buying a share or whatever, take a minute to really think about what you're about to do. After about 60 seconds, you'll probably realise that you don't even care. I do this all the time if I want to buy something, whether instore or online. There are other ways to invest your hard-earned money.... it's a lot riskier but have you ever considered being a venture capitalist? Or an angel investor? Just interested :smile:

Don't be afraid to talk about this with family/friends/teachers, they'll probably have better advice. Good luck!
Original post by Estiyuu
So recently, I have started investing thousands Into stocks that I think will explode in the near future (I.I.AMD,McDonalds,cineworld (low stock price right now) and quite a few more over the last 3 weeks.

I currently have about 2k in the bank account right now and have a 15k stock portfolio and yesterday I was going to buy myself a electric scooter for £400 but I didnt as I couldn't bring myself to actually spend £400 as my mind keeps telling me "That £400 can be spent on stocks to make you a richer man in the future,dont waste it on the scooter as one day that £400 will triple itself" I get these thoughts everytime I buy something other than food.

I love stock investing as I enjoy the research and financial side and ofcourse how its going to benifit my future as I'm only 19 but do you think I may be a little too addicted? Naturally I have always wanted to be the richest man in the room.

Well TBH I think investing is probably a good habit to get into.

But I wouldn’t just spuriously buy/sell stocks you think might explode. Your young you need to invest not trade.

Find a way of finding business models that will continue profitability over 10/20/30 years. Perhaps start by looking at different successful investors like Charlie Monger or David Rubinstein. Warren Buffet says if you find 3 or 4 really good stocks and own them for 30 years you’ll be a millionaire (this guy personally is the biggest share holder of Berkshire Hathaway, which invested 60 years ago into: Mcdonalds, Coco-Cola, Costco & in 2008 bought into Goldman Sachs)...

The thing to do is to learn how & where to invest. Learn how to read form 10-Ks, company ebitda etc. High financially literacy will go along way.
Original post by bassplayer347
Apps are making it so easy to buy stocks. Don't let it take over your life; you're only 19, I'd encourage you to spend your money on what makes you happy. You have the rest of your life ahead of you.

It's good to have ambition, though, and as an aspirational businesswoman, I admire yours. Maybe relax it a little. Instead of compulsively buying a share or whatever, take a minute to really think about what you're about to do. After about 60 seconds, you'll probably realise that you don't even care. I do this all the time if I want to buy something, whether instore or online. There are other ways to invest your hard-earned money.... it's a lot riskier but have you ever considered being a venture capitalist? Or an angel investor? Just interested :smile:

Don't be afraid to talk about this with family/friends/teachers, they'll probably have better advice. Good luck!

This is good advise.

Stocks are good... but keep a good life balance, is all. Just buying and selling stocks isn't a very fulfilling life ambition all by itself, and you will probably feel that kick-in at some point eventually when you ask yourself "what have I actually accomplished with all this?".

Get some good hobbies going. Put your money to good use. Don't forget about the people around you.
Just an FYI 90% of retail traders lose money.
Trading without education or a plan is dangerous.
Frankly if you don’t know what to do you can always put it in an index fund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending