The Student Room Group

Should I retake my GCSEs to get all A*s, if I currently have a mix of As and A*s?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by female_L
For Oxbridge, even those with 14 x 9s get rejected. A levels mean a lot more. They take A-level grades way more seriously than predicted ones. Do extracurriculars too.

Thanks. Was seriously considering retakes but the response on this thread, coupled with my feeling retakes might divert too much attention away from A-Levels, I'll probably just go ahead with A levels then.

Cheers, thanks for the insight. When you say extra-curriculars, do you mean sports, etc related or more focused around the course I wanna pursue? I assume you're referring to the latter, right?
Original post by _shehryar_
Thanks for the insight. The idea, like 1st Superstar stated, comes mostly from both school & online research. Did a bit of searching on Quora, some here on TSR & a lot of asking about, and it just seemed to me that straight A*s would be much more preferable to a mixture of A*s and As. But from the response to this thread, seems not.

This summer actually. I stated A*s & As bcs obviously, they're predicted grades & I'm just working on a rough idea, so didn't wanna be too specific.

Thanks for the info. Yep, I'm gonna be getting predicted grades so this info is really useful. I'll search it up, didn't know this. Can anyone back this up for all unis?

Yep same for all unis - autumn exams will NOT be counted as resits.
Reply 22
No, I don't think that's necessary, especially if your grades are already A's and above. Even though GCSE's are a factor, don't think they are near as important as A-Levels where A's an A*s are pretty much necessary for top tier universities like Oxbridge.
no gcses are in the past now plus youve already predicted to get amazing grades
I got an interview at Cambridge with an average of a 6, I nearly got in too, it really doesn’t matter
Original post by mausanam
Yep same for all unis - autumn exams will NOT be counted as resits.

Great, thanks for the update.

Original post by phatdaddyrice
I got an interview at Cambridge with an average of a 6, I nearly got in too, it really doesn’t matter

That's motivating to hear. :biggrin: Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest