The Student Room Group

Medicine as a second degree

Help! I'm not sure what to do regarding medicine as a second degree.

Has any Graduates taken the challenge of study at a 5 year standard course for Medicine? I need advice on how to fund myself or whether I should just not go and study at a Graduate Entry course instead?
Original post by gjleic

Has any Graduates taken the challenge of study at a 5 year standard course for Medicine? I need advice on how to fund myself or whether I should just not go and study at a Graduate Entry course instead?

I mean, if you can get into a GEP why wouldn't you?
Reply 2
Original post by gjleic

If you are able to get onto a graduate entry course then you might as well because the training is just as good and will get you to where you need to be
Reply 3
I would like to go for GEM, but it is so competitive, I’m just worried if I let go of my current opportunity that I’d lose out for longer
Original post by gjleic
I would like to go for GEM, but it is so competitive, I’m just worried if I let go of my current opportunity that I’d lose out for longer

What is your current opportunity? Do you have a five year offer?

If you have the necessary funding for a five year degree then great, go for it. If not, and you're eligible for GEM funding, I would go for GEM.
Original post by gjleic

I know of at least one person who did do a standard entry course as a second degree instead of GEM (she did PPE at York then standard entry medicine at HYMS, which doesn't have a GEM programme I believe?); I guess she was able to arrange the funding for it. As above GEM is the better option if you can get in but as you note, it's more competitive generally. It's not uncommon, as I understand, for GEM applicants to also apply to one or two standard entry medicine courses if they know they can afford it.

If you know you can fund a standard entry course (bearing in mind you only get maintenance loan for the preclinical phase) then by all means apply to one or two of those alongside GEM. If that would cause financial hardship or is just not possible, then stick to GEM courses and just reapply if necessary! From what I've read it's not uncommon for GEM applicants to apply a couple years in a row before they get in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm a post grad and did the undergrad medicine at QUB, they don't have a graduate course though. However because I'm NI citizen our fees are much less at 4K a year.

The extra year didn't feel any longer tbh and you at least get better holidays during it rather than GEM so you can work to pay easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending