The Student Room Group

Confused about Uni marking

I've been having feedback for my assessments and it's always "I want to hear your opinion, your essay is littered with quotes and criticism". My last comments had this but I got a 62.
However, my friends do what the tutors suggest and get 55-57.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been having feedback for my assessments and it's always "I want to hear your opinion, your essay is littered with quotes and criticism". My last comments had this but I got a 62.

Not clear what you want members to comment on?
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Not clear what you want members to comment on?

tbh I don't know-I'm just frustrated
Reply 3

additionally, one tutor tells us not to quote a lot from the text so I don't and then I get marked down by the next tutor for it.
Maybe just means to add in your opinion at the end?

You should be using direct quotations very sparingly (i.e. only if there is no other way of expressing the same sentiment) - that's a general rule of academic writing.

It's likely that your marker wants to see more of your own interpretations in your work, as opposed to just stating or reworking others' opinions.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You should be using direct quotations very sparingly (i.e. only if there is no other way of expressing the same sentiment) - that's a general rule of academic writing.

It's likely that your marker wants to see more of your own interpretations in your work, as opposed to just stating or reworking others' opinions.

I completely get this and I'm trying to. However, they constantly say how secondary criticism is the most important part of essays and it's what will get you the most marks. I think it's just a matter of finding a balance.
Reply 7
Here's the thing - a first class essay has a certain feel to it. The writer will show evidence of independence, and engagement with the materials. They aren't just talking about the debates or the literature, but are actually engaging with it and becoming part of it. Direct quoting shows you can read, doesn't show you actually understand, care, or have thought about it. That's what'll get you a first.
I completely get this and I'm trying to. However, they constantly say how secondary criticism is the most important part of essays and it's what will get you the most marks. I think it's just a matter of finding a balance.

Are you using that secondary criticism in the right way though? The latter is meant to support your interpretation, making it clear why and how you support/contradict the points the primary sources made. It's not simply about saying "X said this, but I don't agree because Y found the opposite" (this is obviously over-simplistic, but you get the idea) - you need to be able to engage in a discussion of why they found/made opposing points.
Reply 9
A common thing. Your argument should be front and centre and sources deployed in a manner that supports that argument. A common tactic is to write a glorified compare and contrast by saying 'a says x, but b says y'. What needs to happen is: I argue xyz, source 1 supports this because, source 2 supports this because, i can deal with the objection raised by source 3 in the following way etc. etc.
You have to make an argument, then add counter arguments and then your add your opinion e.g. "in my opinion...". (Using citing references for first/2nd and then your feelings/opinion/ by developing your own criticism). There has to be range of sources, and they need to be relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending