The Student Room Group

Should I appeal? uni essay

I have just had an essay back and I am honestly confused by the grading. they stated that my essay was good, well-written and interesting to read. The only negative feedback was that they thought my presentation was fair and that I should have double-spaced my essay. This wasn't a requirement and the only aspects assessed in the presentation section of the academic rubric were language and grammar. We aren't required to use a specific format.

I'm honestly just confused. I don't really know how I can improve based on this feedback and I don't understand why I would have been docked for not using double spacing when we aren't told to do this. The whole thing is in Arial size 10 with subheadings. Do I have grounds for an appeal? Is it even worth appealing? how should I proceed?
Original post by whateversoever
I have just had an essay back and I am honestly confused by the grading. they stated that my essay was good, well-written and interesting to read. The only negative feedback was that they thought my presentation was fair and that I should have double-spaced my essay. This wasn't a requirement and the only aspects assessed in the presentation section of the academic rubric were language and grammar. We aren't required to use a specific format.

I'm honestly just confused. I don't really know how I can improve based on this feedback and I don't understand why I would have been docked for not using double spacing when we aren't told to do this. The whole thing is in Arial size 10 with subheadings. Do I have grounds for an appeal? Is it even worth appealing? how should I proceed?

What grade / mark did you get? How much do you believe you have been docked for not using double spacing?

Are you sure that the double spacing is not a standard requirement at your uni, or in your department, meaning that they don't feel the need to specify it on each and every assignment?
Reply 2
Original post by whateversoever

Rather than going all formal, could you perhaps speak to the person who marked your work and ask?
Reply 3
It's not usually grounds to appeal, anyway.
Reply 4
No there is no point appealing your grade. At most universities (assuming you're a uni student) you can only appeal a grade on the basis of an administrative error. The problem sounds to be more about the quality of feedback you've received rather than the grade. Grades represent a holistic judgment of the quality of the essay, you wouldn't be 'marked down' for something like the formatting unless it was really crazy. But the feedback hasn't identified where you could meaningfully improve, that is the problem. A 'good well-written and interesting essay' could be said of a 60, a 70, a 75. You want to know in more detail how you could have made it better. It's important to remember that feedback comments (if done well) are calibrated to the student's level. A good interesting first year essay wouldn't necessarily be a good interesting masters essay, etc. The question for you is how you could make it more interesting and better. You should request a feedback meeting with the marker, but be clear in your own head and in your communications that it is about getting better feedback rather than challenging the mark. If the marker feels you're just trying to dispute the mark that may make them feel defensive and they probably won't be as forthcoming with the kind of helpful feedback that you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending