The Student Room Group

Personal statement Qs

I am hoping to study maths at Cambridge first choice. I want to clarify things about my personal statement.
1) Is it ok to mention yt channels as examples of further reading such as 3 blue 1 brown and numberphile.
2) Is it ok to say Ive attempted many STEP problems although it is expected for Cambridge applicants since its their admissions test.
3) Does a blank line take up some characters or lines from the UCAS limits.
4) Can I put in quotes from famous mathematicians to support my statement if I have room?

Thanks
Original post by asianism
I am hoping to study maths at Cambridge first choice. I want to clarify things about my personal statement.
1) Is it ok to mention yt channels as examples of further reading such as 3 blue 1 brown and numberphile.
2) Is it ok to say Ive attempted many STEP problems although it is expected for Cambridge applicants since its their admissions test.
4) Can I put in quotes from famous mathematicians to support my statement if I have room?

Thanks

1. if it's relevant I don't see why not
2. If its an admissions test then no its not necessary and I wouldn't say that at all. Anyone who applies will have done many of those questions. Talk instead about other maths competitions you may have done
3. It takes up some of the line limit so often you can't have blank lines in your PS as you run out of lines to use. Typically you will have a few paragraphs in your PS and then they are separated by just going down to the next line and not leaving a full blank line
4. Yes you can use quotes but often quotes can be seen as cliche. If it adds to the statement and has a benefit then sure have one but otherwise I wouldn't (personally)
Original post by asianism

Thanks

1) yep- it shows your wider enthusiasm
2)I would say no, as you said it is to be expected
3) No, I don’t think so
4) Yes, but make sure you link it to your statement :smile:
1. Yes if it’s relevant to how you explore a specific area of maths or you found something interesting or whatever you want to talk about in your personal statement
2. No you need to show your interest in maths not your proficiency for w personal statement. If you do talk about maths comps, talk about what you learnt or gained from them; if you just want to mention it, put it in your reference
4. Yes you could but it depends on how you used it. I wouldn’t if it didn’t get you exploring a particular area of maths
You should always aim to have blank lines - I've not seen a PS that cannot be amended to make it fit into 47 lines with 3-4 of those with no text

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending