The Student Room Group

What do you think of this article on fat people

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080827/tuk-no-excuse-for-obesity-claim-tories-6323e80.html

I agree with some things but its so negative basically saying all overweight people are making excuses and its all their fault.

Like I say I agree to a degree

I.e mainly the very obese ones that live off junk food like greasy fatty stuff and McDonalds

But I am fat (a few stone but dont look extreme) but I eat not much in the day just things with high calories so its my fault in that way.

But I love to go to the gym, and walk around for a few hours eat day eat a lot of fruit and veg

The article kinda makes out that all overweight people dont exercise and never eat healthy food.

Whats your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
people are fat because they dont eat right and dont excersise.

as far as im concerned nobody can do those things for you so, all the fatties fault.
Reply 2
Overweightness is, in the overwhelming majority of cases, due to the people themselves, or in the case of some kids, their parents. However, that's just ridiculous tory politics, taking hard lines on everything while not actually combating the problem properly. As everyone who's tried to lose weight knows, it can be extremely difficult, and it always will be, but it needs to be made easier.

Some problems that could be lessened:

- Eating healthily is more expensive than eating unhealthily
- People don't know how to cook, or anything about nutrition or exercise
- A lot of kids have never done any proper exercise, nad it's hard to do rigorous exercise when you first start, you end up horribly stiff the next day and that puts you off doing it again.
- Overweight kids don't get 1 on 1 help, kids who are struggling to read get 1-1 tuition, overweight children need the same help, analysing exercise plans, nutrition plans, dealing with the confidence issues surrounding it.

A lot of these problems cannot be solved with this generation, it needs to be put into them in school. I go to a school where everyone has 4 1-2 hour sports sessions a week. I'm the fattest guy in my year who's been there since year 7, and I'm in the ideal BMI range and can run 5-7 miles. The culture of fitness is ingrained in me, as it should be in all children.

Typical Tory politics, make a grandiose statement to convince people they're doing something about all this stuff, and ignore any of the difficult, real problems.
I completely agree with people who say they're making exscuses....
its simple: you eat well and exercise. it's no difficult.
no one forces food into their mouths, it's their own personal choice.
what gets me is how people can let themselves go so much....like how size 16 people can't look in the mirror and think ewww im going to do something about it and not 'oh well'
i just don't understand at what ponit you can let yourself go to that extent......and don't even get me started on the health risks....!
In almost all cases, being overweight can be dealt with by exercising more and eating less calories. I used to be very overweight and lost it by cutting back on food and exercising every day. It's very simple (except for those who have a medical problem, of course) so yes, I blame people who are overweight. Maybe if they stop feeling like they can blame it on someone else, they'll be embarrassed enough to lose the weight.

That said, it can be very difficult to get someone out of the habit of being unhealthy. I was overweight since childhood and this definitely meant that I had to really struggle to lose weight. It also doesn't help that a bag of chips can be had for less than a bag of apples, or that packets of salad are ridiculously expensive. If you want people to diet then you have to make it as easy as possible for them and discourage unhealthy foods - tripling the cost of unhealthy food might be a starting step. Frankly, when I was losing weight, I'd have been delighted to have temptation removed in such a way.
Reply 5
People are far too harsh. Yes, it is one's own responsibility, but people who say, "it's not difficult, lazy bastards," and stuff to that effect are clearly people who just haven't experienced that kind of problem. I could say to an alcoholic, "it's easy enough, just don't drink," but that would be unhelpful and insensitive - it would be indicative of my simply having no comprehension of the problem at hand.
Reply 6
Yeah, the majority of overwight people end up that way because they don't eat well/don't excercise. Although, there may be people who have genetic problems but still, they can get help if they need it.
Reply 7
I think in some cases you can't blame the person. Some really thin people can eat and eat and not get any fatter because of a high metabolism just as some obese people can hardly eat anything, exercise and still not lose any weight.
Reply 8
MittenKrust
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080827/tuk-no-excuse-for-obesity-claim-tories-6323e80.html

all overweight people are making excuses and its all their fault.

Entirely true.
Reply 9
It will be their fault if they are obese due to eating too much and not spending effort in burning the calories they are gaining.

calories in > calories burnt ==> you gain weight

It is related to psychology somehow. If they can't control them selves they should ask for help.

If it is due to genetics or a disease it is not their fault.
sigstuff
I think in some cases you can't blame the person. Some really thin people can eat and eat and not get any fatter because of a high metabolism just as some obese people can hardly eat anything, exercise and still not lose any weight.

That simply isn't true. Obese people burn thousands of calories every day simply by being alive - they burn over 4000 calories every day just by sitting still. It is not biologically possible for them to eat significantly less than 4000 calories a day and fail to lose weight, and if they exercise as well then the weight will drop off. Weight loss is, in my experience, from observation of others and from extensive reading, governed by fairly simple principles. Granted, some people lose weight faster than others, but if you burn more calories than you eat then you will lose weight. The limiting factor is will-power, or the lack of it.
I'm fed up of all this **** that says eating healthier is more expensive - it's really not. Can of tinned tomatoes - 21p Asda Smartprice. Pasta shapes - 19p Asda Smartprice. There you go, some tomatoey pasta, which is probably a hell of a lot more nutritious than chicken dippers every sodding night of the week.
People just need to be educated on healthy eating, that's all.
Some people are just large anyway. I know people who have big parents and have been big all their life. No matter how hard the diet they just cant loose the weight.

I dont see what the problem with fat people is anyway...Who says you're meant to be skinny? Or that being skinny is right?

How are you measuring "fatness"? A size 16 isnt big! Im a size 12 and my friends a size 16...she has a flatter stomach than i do!

Nowadays theres no normal weight. And for those people who are a normal weight for their height, think their too fat, go on stupid diets and end up becoming more unhealthy than they were to start with!
Roses_and_Ribbons
I completely agree with people who say they're making exscuses....
its simple: you eat well and exercise. it's no difficult.
no one forces food into their mouths, it's their own personal choice.
what gets me is how people can let themselves go so much....like how size 16 people can't look in the mirror and think ewww im going to do something about it and not 'oh well'
i just don't understand at what ponit you can let yourself go to that extent......and don't even get me started on the health risks....!

what? even for those people who can't afford healthy food? have overactive thyroids? eating disorders?
but then that can be said the other way around. it's easy to eat properly, yet how can people a size 6 and below look at themselves in the mirror and not think "ewww".
smellslikemarmite
I'm fed up of all this **** that says eating healthier is more expensive - it's really not. Can of tinned tomatoes - 21p Asda Smartprice. Pasta shapes - 19p Asda Smartprice. There you go, some tomatoey pasta, which is probably a hell of a lot more nutritious than chicken dippers every sodding night of the week.
People just need to be educated on healthy eating, that's all.

That said, it would be helpful if fresh fruit and veg were cheaper than tinned stuff (which is almost inevitably high in salt) and takeaway rubbish, for instance.
SpiritedAway
what? even for those people who can't afford healthy food? have overactive thyroids? eating disorders?
but then that can be said the other way around. it's easy to eat properly, yet how can people a size 6 and below look at themselves in the mirror and not think "ewww".

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can a rib cage sticking out, boney arms and stick legs be attractive?!
Reply 16
They are not fat, they are horizontally challenged.
If you exercise and eat well, then there is no excuse for being fat, so yes, they are making excuses. But I dont mind fat people, they make me look good in comparison.
Most people are fat by choice. All i have to say.
Phantom Phoenix
That simply isn't true. Obese people burn thousands of calories every day simply by being alive - they burn over 4000 calories every day just by sitting still. It is not biologically possible for them to eat significantly less than 4000 calories a day and fail to lose weight, and if they exercise as well then the weight will drop off. Weight loss is, in my experience, from observation of others and from extensive reading, governed by fairly simple principles. Granted, some people lose weight faster than others, but if you burn more calories than you eat then you will lose weight. The limiting factor is will-power, or the lack of it.

not entirely true though it :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending