The Student Room Group

is this okay for my parents to do this

i want to preface this by saying i love my parents, and i understand them 100%. I am kind of overweight.. not like fat, but like chubby, im not skinny like other girls basically. But my parents are, like they are medically overweight. anyway my mum often gives me looks, says 'those trousers are looking a bit tight,' or when i go to eat some toast or something she will say 'really youre eating again,' and i have told her many times that this makes me uncomfortable and that it really upsets me as i am already insecure, and then she apologises etc..but she still keeps commenting on my weight, even though ive told her how uncomfortable i am with it. i know its because she wants the best for me and has always been insecure about her weight, and she doesnt want the same for me, but she should stop when i tell her im upset. i think my dad is better, instead of saying im getting fat, he tells me he is 'worried about what i am eating' which is fair, as i am a vegetarian so i lack iron etc.. and i eat way too many carbs. so i know these things, i know i need to eat better and stuff, but its just she should listen to me when i tell her she is upsetting me. basically i just want to know how i can stop my mum from constantly saying these things to me.
Well a simple way you could bring it up more seriously, is by sitting down at the kitchen table or living room with both of your parents and having a serious conversation with them both about this situation. What you have written in this thread could be something you tell them, use things you said here, and explain how it makes you feel.

I'm not totally sure if this will be helpful, but I hope it will at least get you thinking of ways you could talk to your mother and maybe even your father about this. I know that getting comments like that is hard, with my parents they would skinny and fat shame me, so conversations never ended well, I hope this will be different for you if you decide to speak to them, stay safe, please. :kitty:
As you say, your mum is probably doing this because she cares about you. I know this is perhaps childish of me, but if telling her that her comments upset you hasn't helped, I think I would be inclined to start commenting back about her own habits/weight, and perhaps suggesting that both of you could work on improving your diet?
She doesn't want you to have health problems. Is there some reason why you're resistant to becoming a healthier weight? It sounds as though your whole family could do with supporting each other and all of you could lose weight together.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
She doesn't want you to have health problems. Is there some reason why you're resistant to becoming a healthier weight? It sounds as though your whole family could do with supporting each other and all of you could lose weight together.

i never said i dont want to be a healthy weight, i just dont appreciate my mum commenting on it all the time when ive told her it makes me uncomfortable. i am currently trying to lose weight a bit, but as i am doing my a levels i am stress eating a bunch so not much it happening rn. as well as this, the medication i am on makes me gain a bunch of weight as well which doesnt help at all haha
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
As you say, your mum is probably doing this because she cares about you. I know this is perhaps childish of me, but if telling her that her comments upset you hasn't helped, I think I would be inclined to start commenting back about her own habits/weight, and perhaps suggesting that both of you could work on improving your diet?

i already do this haha
Reply 6
Original post by cam_taheri
Well a simple way you could bring it up more seriously, is by sitting down at the kitchen table or living room with both of your parents and having a serious conversation with them both about this situation. What you have written in this thread could be something you tell them, use things you said here, and explain how it makes you feel.

I'm not totally sure if this will be helpful, but I hope it will at least get you thinking of ways you could talk to your mother and maybe even your father about this. I know that getting comments like that is hard, with my parents they would skinny and fat shame me, so conversations never ended well, I hope this will be different for you if you decide to speak to them, stay safe, please. :kitty:

:smile: i will try talking to them like this :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Xyz2112a
Your folks are indeed looking out for your best interests. Your figure can mean the difference between date or no date. Engagement ring or no ring. Successful, honest, clean, handsome & educated husband. House on a hill, nice cars, health-care, quality food, annual vacations, kids in private schools and savings (planning) for retirement future.
OR ... You can eat yourself out of the market, settle for the alcoholic trash-truck guy enjoying life amongst fighting neighbors and police living in a seedy trailer park.
Here's a Hint: Your body is a window into the inner condition of your soul. Maybe Mom realizes that with herself.

This is incredibly rude. Not all people in trailer parks are alcoholic messes, also, not everyone is trying to be as skinny as you might be just because of a man or a woman they are interested in, a lot of people aren't interested in dating or getting married and having kids. Not everyone is going to fat shame the person they love, if they really love you they should love the body you have. This post is not helpful at all, and I would recommend growing maturity, not acting like a 5-year-old, and realize that not everyone is a skinny spoiled little **** like you might be. Just because you might be 'overweight', that doesn't mean you can't have a loving family, a home, and quality food.
Here's a hint: GROW UP
Reply 8
Original post by Xyz2112a
Your folks are indeed looking out for your best interests. Your figure can mean the difference between date or no date. Engagement ring or no ring. Successful, honest, clean, handsome & educated husband. House on a hill, nice cars, health-care, quality food, annual vacations, kids in private schools and savings (planning) for retirement future.
OR ... You can eat yourself out of the market, settle for the alcoholic trash-truck guy enjoying life amongst fighting neighbors and police living in a seedy trailer park.
Here's a Hint: Your body is a window into the inner condition of your soul. Maybe Mom realizes that with herself.

Not everyone is looking for a husband, kids or marriage. a womans life isnt all about getting married, success is subjective, and my point isnt that i dont want my parents going on at me, not that i dont want to lose weight. (ps im not overweight, im just not stick thin like my mum wants me to be)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending