The Student Room Group

AS level and A2 level

I have an A in maths igcse but I hate maths and I don’t wanna do it in Alevels.Firstly,The major I’ll be opting in university is economics and I want to pursue it in a good uni but the problem is that I have to take maths in Alevel alongside economics to get a place at a good uni for economics but I don’t want to take maths.Secondly,if I don’t take maths Alevel can Unis judge me by my maths olevel grade while accepting me in a economics major?Thirdly,Even if I take maths in AS but I’ll drop it in A2...will Maths AS have any significance or importance on my uni applications like will the university advantage me for taking maths at AS level atleast for economics.Thank you and a detailed reply would be appreciated please.
you'll need to research unis and their requirements for economics- best to contact admissions about stuff like preferences. if they express a preference for maths then you may have an advantage over someone who's applied without as maths if you have an as in it but no guarantee really. ranking isn't everything, so perhaps apply for a few unis that don't require a level maths also. just had a look at the complete university guide for rankings and st andrews expresses a preference for a level maths but doesn't seem to strictly require it.
87% of Bsc Economics students have completed A Level Maths at St. Andrews - with 25% having Further maths. The offer rate is already pretty low, without Maths you would be making it extremely hard for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest