The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

L i b
You do know that snuff is just tobacco, yes? :rolleyes:

If you're calling that 'a drug' then you really ought to start considering what's in your coffee.

Did you see the inverted commas around the word drug? :rolleyes:
Also, I only see it as 'drug taking' because of the way they take it - in the club only (or on a special sports trip), in the corner, all secretive and huddled up, rubbing their noses after a snort. Also, because it's something I would never do. :no:
I'd say weed yeah it's really common.

The only stuff i'd touch to be honest are the psychedelics.. weed, lsd, shrooms and salvia :smile:. If you're not a prick then they are some really powerful and insightful drugs.

sahil112
well iv been doin weed and skunk last 2 years and just finished high skool lol year 11
iv also dun white widow some you may no it some of you may not, and also this speical drink wer u get milk and either opium/weed heat it up den drink away.

Skunk and white widow are just potent strains of marijuana mate, not actual different drugs.
Reply 102
It's not just students - companies are doing it too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=81MWIsj2Kmc
What is this? Who the hell is Philosphophy_Kid? "You do drugs to make you think" Think what? - you think a load ****! Long term drug users, on the whole, are the most gormed out people you will ever meet. I mean, look at hippies.

I personally think drugs should be a legalised, as we should be allowed to do what we like, and it would also stop the illegal trade of drugs, i.e. less violence and purer, regulated drugs. "Drugs" is too broad a word - I do think there are bad drugs, and less bad drugs, but I would never really recommend them - they either **** you up or cost too much.

Okay, back to the original topic, I think the % of students who take drugs is probably about the same as non-students in that age group. It also depends on which universities, and who you choose to be friends with.
Celery Jon
What is this? Who the hell is Philosphophy_Kid? "You do drugs to make you think" Think what? - you think a load ****! Long term drug users, on the whole, are the most gormed out people you will ever meet. I mean, look at hippies.

I personally think drugs should be a legalised, as we should be allowed to do what we like, and it would also stop the illegal trade of drugs, i.e. less violence and purer, regulated drugs. "Drugs" is too broad a word - I do think there are bad drugs, and less bad drugs, but I would never really recommend them - they either **** you up or cost too much.

Okay, back to the original topic, I think the % of students who take drugs is probably about the same as non-students in that age group. It also depends on which universities, and who you choose to be friends with.

I like that you think drugs should be legalised, however, I don't agree with your comments about drug users. LSD, Shrooms and Weed can be seriously enlightening drugs and just because you use them doesn't your addicted (the drugs I mentioned aren't even addictive) but I mean people can learn alot from psychedelics and come out a better person or with a different viewpoint. They have to be used sensibly though, and respected not abused etc :smile:
Well if taking a lot ("abusing") makes you noticably stupid, then taking just a little probably does no good to you. I don't see how taking a chemical can enlighten you - it's false enlightment, an illusion. You aren't taking in any information. See, you probably take drugs, hence now you are talking ****.
Alcohol I have yes - very rarely these days (once every few months - and just 1 drink - not to get drunk), but I used to get drunk a few years ago.

Cigarettes - I've tried 2 in my life, plus 1 roll up. Nasty horrible stuff, wouldn't ever have another one.

Medical drugs - paracetamol if I have a headache and so on.

Caffeine - yes, tea, pepsi etc. I do have that.

Illegal drugs - never touched with barge pole and never would.
lol no no and no! :s-smilie:
although i know ppl who do occasionally do weed, but students are the same as any other group of people, everyone is different!! :yep:
I have never touched a drug while at uni... i have only ever smoked cigerettes (when i was 12, but luckily stoped) took one drag of grass and that is it, i have often contemplated on takin Es or Magic Mushrooms,, and have often been pressureed into takin some, but havnt yet.. i would only try it to see what the experience would b like, hence E and Mushrooms
Dont drink, dont smoke, dont do pot, on the outset, im straightedge. Magic mushrooms, MDMA, and occasionally LSD will have been had. Going straightedge for the rest of A2, gonna be m&m-ing (hippyflipping) regularily at uni hopefully :biggrin::biggrin:

...LSD, shrooms, MDMA, cannabis, DMT, mescaline, 2-n: all of itshould be legal, less damage than alcohol, both criminally and biologically speaking, there has yet to be a definitive study proving that cannabis is harmful, as for the others, find somethin that IS NOT possitive about them. The only thing that makes drug use wrong is the fact that its against the law. the law should never dictate choice
Celery Jon
Well if taking a lot ("abusing") makes you noticably stupid, then taking just a little probably does no good to you. I don't see how taking a chemical can enlighten you - it's false enlightment, an illusion. You aren't taking in any information. See, you probably take drugs, hence now you are talking ****.

whos to say that self enlightenment isnt enlightenment as a whole? You cannot dismiss it as enlightenment is individual, the same as religious experience, it may seem illogical, but it still happens, and it changes the persons life, therefore, they have been, in one way or another, enlightened.
PinkMobilePhone

Illegal drugs - never touched with barge pole and never would.

What about the kids?
A better question would be: 'Is there a correlation between drug use and degree success'?
Lol - have just left college and most my friends smoke weed and are going to the top unis - Cambridge/Warwick/Sheffield/Nottingham etc

I don't think there's a huge correlation - it's a matter of choice. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing - my boyfriend doesn't take drugs yet I'm the occasional smoker of weed and we don't jugde eachother.

Everyone had bad habits - it's about control, which is easy to lose where drugs are concerned. It isn't the worst thing to do a uni i don't think. lol - of course it must be considered that there's a huge difference between shrooms and weed, and smack and base. lol. If we're talking hard drugs - yeah it's a problem :s-smilie: but nothing to be judged for.
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
What about the kids?

what about the kids what?
the666thmessiah
whos to say that self enlightenment isnt enlightenment as a whole? You cannot dismiss it as enlightenment is individual, the same as religious experience, it may seem illogical, but it still happens, and it changes the persons life, therefore, they have been, in one way or another, enlightened.

Yeah, but that's how hippies speak, and what have hippies ever done? Firstly, mine and the Collins English Dictionary's understanding of 'enlighten' is "to give information to; instruct" , and we all know that religious enlightenment is rubbish. And what's more, it may "change a person's life", but for the better? No, it's just a pretentious form of brain damage.
Celery Jon
Yeah, but that's how hippies speak, and what have hippies ever done? Firstly, mine and the Collins English Dictionary's understanding of 'enlighten' is "to give information to; instruct" , and we all know that religious enlightenment is rubbish. And what's more, it may "change a person's life", but for the better? No, it's just a pretentious form of brain damage.

This is all asumption, The Collins English Dictionary may not even be right, as enlightenment remains subjective, and individual. Enlightenment could be seen as the epiphany that one would have when they realize that nothing is truly rubish as long as it matters for the individual. And as for the arguement that its simply pretentious brain damage?... No. do some reading on the popular psychadelics such as psilocybin/psilocilin, LSD, mescaline, and DMT, or even MDMA, and quote any direct damage that can be had from taking these. Many people claim to have had their lives made better by drug usage or religious experience, and if this results in the fact that it excludes them from the majority 'logic', because dismmissive and opionionated individuals would not accept that someone has experienced something they have some or other dispostion to, it does not mean that we should dismiss it in any way.

Just because the inofrmation is not applicable to an outside sense does not mean it is useless information.

And as for where did hippies get us?... nowhere, this is true, but what would have happened if hippies did get us places, what if the likes of even bob marley, who could be considered hippy by his lyrics, got what he wanted for the world???
Celery Jon

Right, well I guess many people taking shrooms or LSD and coming out having a different outlook on things is all false then....

Just accept that it's personal preference and everything is a personal experience, many people can sit down and trip on shrooms in their back garden under the stars and find it very moving and special and a very natural experience. People shouldn't be looked down on because they use drugs or used them, it's a personal choice and if they want to take them its up to them, many people can control their drug use and as people have said in this thread, the psychedelic drugs should really be legal but people seem to think that anybody who has used LSD or shrooms must be a whacky crazy person because thats the way they've been portrayed by society, quite sad really...
thompsonbassman
Right, well I guess many people taking shrooms or LSD and coming out having a different outlook on things is all false then....

Just accept that it's personal preference and everything is a personal experience, many people can sit down and trip on shrooms in their back garden under the stars and find it very moving and special and a very natural experience. People shouldn't be looked down on because they use drugs or used them, it's a personal choice and if they want to take them its up to them, many people can control their drug use and as people have said in this thread, the psychedelic drugs should really be legal but people seem to think that anybody who has used LSD or shrooms must be a whacky crazy person because thats the way they've been portrayed by society, quite sad really...

:yep:

I cant stand the stigma associated with trip-heads, we are all katatonic or incredibly stupid i guess. Well, the majority rule in society IS the right one i guess
Reply 119
No, I think a minority of students are drug users. We are smart enough to know they are harmful for us.

Latest

Trending

Trending