The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by 548
Hello.

I've charted some of the scores and made some assumptions about this UCAT cycle that try to guess the final deciles.

The following shows the recent years of UCAT Interims vs Finals. 2016 UCAT adjusted by multiplying the original score by four thirds.

Raw data:

Spoiler

24/27 of the deciles between 2017 and 2019 fell by 60 points. The most a decile has fallen by has been 70 and the least has been 40. The average fall is 59.6.
There does not seem to be a trend in regards to which decile consistently drops more or less than others.

As the 2019 data seemed to follow a similar trend to 2018, 2020 seems to follow a similar trend to 2017.

What I found most interesting about this is that the 2020/2017 interim scores difference gradually shrink from 30 to 10 over the deciles.

I've seen at least one individual on the forum expressing shock that 15,000 people are yet to take the test. I like to the believe that the number is a bit inflated, but I can not say if this is or is not a trend for UCAT to do as I can not access previous data directly from UCAT, as well as dates being changed due to the pandemic.
Using numbers reported by themedicportal, however, and the number of candidates indicated by UCAT above the SJT:

Going by percentage average, 8,199 more participants are expected.
Going by difference average, 15,510 more participants are expected.

Given everything mentioned above, if you're impatient, I would advise comparing to 2017 entry scores. My final estimated deciles are:
1st: 2190
2nd: 2310
3rd: 2390
4th: 2450
5th: 2520
6th: 2580
7th: 2650
8th: 2730
9th: 2850

More so, I would advise that everyone waits until the final results from UCAT come out and compare to that. Due to the global situation, and drawing what may be obscure parallels, my estimates may be complete baloney.
I hope this may relax those who have a genuine worry about their score.

You absolute legend!:biggrin:
I think the main reason UCAT are expecting 15,510 more participants in such a short space of time is due to the fact that this year is the first year that you can sit the test at home; seeing as you can sit the exam at home, even if the test centres are booked you can still sit the exam, meaning more people can sit the exam at a later date than in the previous years.

Also, it is not an estimate or inflation because registration closed last week (17th September), so they would know exactly how many applicants have registered and are yet to sit the exam.
TL;DR there were technical errors during my UCAT and I've been given a score nonetheless! I want to be able retake but UCAT won't contact me and this year's deadline is so so close

I caught covid three weeks ago which meant my exam had to be moved from the facility to at home. I was absolutely ready to go and confident starting the exam. I started up the system. And then for an hour I waited for the proctor to get in touch with me. With no news, no instructions, sat for an hour in exam conditions (which is what the screen advised), waiting for someone to get in touch in what should have been 15 minutes. During this time, I had a good old cry because I was worried my exam would have to be postponed AGAIN.

So I tried turning the system off and turning it on again. Waited for another 15 minutes and lo, behold the proctor finally got in touch. Started the exam, upset still. Everything's going fine until QR which is when the wifi goes; it happens once I move on try to do my questions. It happens repeatedly and now it seems the screen is frozen and I can't see parts of the questions because the chat box saying the proctor will be in touch is repeatedly loading; the timer is still going. I'm yelling for the proctor to talk to me I need help and still she won't say anything at all. With the timer still counting down I make an executive decision to try and turn the computer off and on again because maybe that might solve the problem! It does not. Instead I'm unable to access the programme and I spend an entire weekend stressed out. Mind you the proctor does not try to contact me during this time - even though I provided a number.

On Monday I receive my results - even though I never finished QR or AR or SJT. I try to call UCAT helpline and after 1hr on hold, I get through to an operator who says the proctor couldn't get in touch because the number I provided didn't match the one they have saved on file for me. This is ridiculous because (1) during the times the internet did work the proctor didn't talk to me while I was yelling her name (2) they could have called either number - one of which was my guardians number. The operator files a complaint.

This was 3 days ago. No-one has contacted me. The deadline for the final UCAT date is less than a week away. I am beyond annoyed. And terrified, may I say. My scores for the VR and DM were good! If I'd been able to complete the exam I would have done well!

Can anyone advise me? Is there any legal action I can take?
Hey guys, I just sat the UCAT today, scoring 2870 overall, VR: 700, DM: 670, QR: 750, AR: 750, SJT: Band 1. I'm just wondering if my score is competitive enough for an interview or if its way too borderline. Newcastle cutoff is sky high and now Soton is worrying me a little bit. Anyone got any anecdotal facts??
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1464
Original post by eststar171996
Hey guys, I just sat the UCAT today, scoring 2870 overall, VR: 700, DM: 650, QR: 750, AR: 750, SJT: Band 1. I'm just wondering if my score is competitive enough for an interview or if its way too borderline. Newcastle cutoff is sky high and now Soton is worrying me a little bit. Anyone got any anecdotal facts??

last year cutoff for newcastle was 2730, even if it may increase, I very much doubt it would be to the point that even a score of 2870 wouldn't suffice. Can I ask are you for undergrad or postgrad course?
Original post by KD02
last year cutoff for newcastle was 2730, even if it may increase, I very much doubt it would be to the point that even a score of 2870 wouldn't suffice. Can I ask are you for undergrad or postgrad course?

GEM so I reckon they bump it up
Reply 1466

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/UKCAT%20thresholds%20and%20application%20numbers%20for%20past%20five%20years%20June%202020.pdf . Have a look at the data on that link, it holds the info for the cutoff scores over the last few years
Reply 1467

Are you applying for A101 or A100? Cause for a101 the threshold last year was 2910
Reply 1468
Original post by _jbello.10
I think the main reason UCAT are expecting 15,510 more participants in such a short space of time is due to the fact that this year is the first year that you can sit the test at home; seeing as you can sit the exam at home, even if the test centres are booked you can still sit the exam, meaning more people can sit the exam at a later date than in the previous years.

Also, it is not an estimate or inflation because registration closed last week (17th September), so they would know exactly how many applicants have registered and are yet to sit the exam.

Good points, thank you for pointing that out. I've removed my speculation in that regard as a result.

Thanks!
Original post by spk00
Are you applying for A101 or A100? Cause for a101 the threshold last year was 2910

A101 but I'm not really thinking about Newcastle because its most likely unattainable :frown:
Not long completed my UCAT. Score - 2840 (VR: 700, DM: 710, QR: 720, 710).

Thought I bombed QR and did better at DM so really didn't know what to think. Happy with this and so relieved to be done. I thought I'd share my mock scores as I know I was interested in how mocks correlated. Note though I obviously got better with time so it's not all a fair reflection of difficulty.

Medify (1-8): 2540, 2680, 2530, 2770, 2760, 2680, 3090, 3000

Official (1-4): 2550, 2580, 2460, 2830

i.e. only twice above what I got and medify 8-9 generally the easiest.

Personal reflections for each section:

VR: Similar to mocks. Not as scary as was led to believe!
DM: Passages were actually reasonably short. I thought I did better (not helped by accidentally hitting a wrong answer a second before time ran out! But obviously had quite a few errors so really try and concentrate.
QR: Worst for me I froze for a while at the start and middle unable to do some questions. Fortunately cut my losses enough to bring it back imagine got a bit lucky guessing as didn't expect over 700.
AR: Again ideal world was hoping for a nicer time. Some patterns very easy a couple just could not get. Think I capitalised on those that I did to save the score though.
STJ: Tbh was just trying to breathe at this point. Answer most v quickly on instinct and didn't review as wanted to get out. Band 1 is a nice bonus! Was mostly 2 through medify.
Original post by Chowdsx2
My Opinion from taking it in 2019 (I got 2760) and I am taking it again in 2020 in 3 days time (but in new method of doing it online at home due to covid). :cool:
I am using medify both times: very helpful.

In 2019 I used to get average marks on all medify mocks
In 2020 I am getting much above average in medify mock

MEDIFY:

VR: EASIER by a lot
DM: SAME (maybe a tiny insy bit harder)
QR: Harder, i get 590 now but in the real thing got 680, but don't let that fool you, maybe i was OP on the day (lol)+ better prep imo
AR: about the exact same but THE OFFICIAL ONES can have more unique patterns
SJ: MUCH easier due to always giving you that partially correct plus it doesn't have the new style questions where you drag multiple answers (most appropriate to least)

I got 701 average in the real thing :smile:
Thank you!!
Hey guys, I just sat the UCAT today, scoring 2870 overall, VR: 700, DM: 670, QR: 750, AR: 750, SJT: Band 1. I'm just wondering if my score is competitive enough for an interview or if its way too borderline. Newcastle cutoff is sky high and now Soton is worrying me a little bit. Anyone got any anecdotal facts??

Wow I got the exact same score and band as you :smile:. Im also thinking of utilising my high UCAT score and applying to Newcastle. From historical data, it seems our UCAT scores are high enough and offer some leeway as I feel the cut off will be slightly the higher this year after seeing the interim scores compared to last year.
hey at test centre do you get a whiteboard or been and paper?
Original post by S_Sadegian
hey at test centre do you get a whiteboard or been and paper?

Yeah you do get a whiteboard and whiteboard pens.
Original post by liwri98
Yeah you do get a whiteboard and whiteboard pens.

kl do uno what size?
Original post by S_Sadegian
kl do uno what size?

Mine was just standard A4 size. The one you may receive could be of different size, however I highly doubt it.
Original post by liwri98
Mine was just standard A4 size. The one you may receive could be of different size, however I highly doubt it.

Thanks,last questions
did it freeze a lot and was it noisy

Latest

Trending

Trending