The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Rugby Initiations?

Are there any bad initiations into clubs and societies in Durham? I'm thinking of joining womens rugby and possibly judo but if the initiations are awful (I'm talking getting naked or drinking piss etc.) I'm not sure I'd want to join after.

If the initations are so bad that I wouldn't want to play then I might just choose to go the my insurance choice instead since I really want to continue playing rugby.
Aren't most of these initiation stories just that, stories not the real thing.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by barnetlad
Aren't most of these initiation stories just that, stories not the real thing.

I'm pretty sure they're real at some places considering some have been so bad they've made it into the news and the university had to clamp down on initiations
Original post by Anonymous
Are there any bad initiations into clubs and societies in Durham? I'm thinking of joining womens rugby and possibly judo but if the initiations are awful (I'm talking getting naked or drinking piss etc.) I'm not sure I'd want to join after.

If the initations are so bad that I wouldn't want to play then I might just choose to go the my insurance choice instead since I really want to continue playing rugby.

My friend played for the women's rugby team and was never pressured into doing anything she didn't want to do at socials (she joined up mid term so didn't have an initiation).
I'm not even sure initiations are still a thing. If they are, I highly doubt that a women's or mixed team would make you do anything too gross, and nothing bad will happen if you say no. Don't worry!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Initiations are mostly overhyped things of the past nowadays.

SU groups have strict rules, and with the likes of snapchat & instagram as well as student welfare requirements mean they don’t really happen anymore.
There are certainly still initiations, they vary in intensity but it's nothing too humiliating, and there's always the option not to participate. I found the ones I went through exciting, and they certainly built cohesion. In any case, they should not be a reason you put off joining any sport or society.
Durham University initiation ceremonies are real and extreme. I have experienced them and left the sports team in question.Forced alcohol consumption is the norm, sexism is rife and sexual assault not unheard of. The University rarely enforces their own code of conduct. Student tend to close ranks (they don't want to be picked on by senior team members).When I complained I was threatened with violence from team mates and accused of being too fragile by the Director of Sport.I was happy to walk away but if you are keen on sport (rather than drinking competitions) go elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest