The Student Room Group

biomedical engineering unis

I want to apply for biomedical engineering at Kings and UCL but I am not sure how reputable the courses are as there is no official league table for biomedical engineering
"reputation" and "league table rankings" will not necessarily tell you much about the actual delivery of the course, and within the engineering sector are irrelevant to recruiters. I would suggest you look at the course structure/content of each course, and also see what current and former students from each university have said in the past. In terms of employability I imagine they'll be broadly similar, provided you undertake appropriate work experience/internships/placements while on the course.

I would note UCL's engineering department has had at least in the past a persistently low student satisfaction ratings and current/ex-students from that department have on numerous occasions made threads complaining about the department. Some of these complaints (which would probably be reflected in the student satisfaction results) however may stem from unrealistic expectations of the nature of university study anywhere (e.g. lecturers generally not being that invested in students, focused more on their research, academics slow to respond to emails etc; such things are endemic in higher education and not localised to UCL engineering or anywhere for that matter)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
"reputation" and "league table rankings" will not necessarily tell you much about the actual delivery of the course, and within the engineering sector are irrelevant to recruiters. I would suggest you look at the course structure/content of each course, and also see what current and former students from each university have said in the past. In terms of employability I imagine they'll be broadly similar, provided you undertake appropriate work experience/internships/placements while on the course.

I would note UCL's engineering department has had at least in the past a persistently low student satisfaction ratings and current/ex-students from that department have on numerous occasions made threads complaining about the department. Some of these complaints (which would probably be reflected in the student satisfaction results) however may stem from unrealistic expectations of the nature of university study anywhere (e.g. lecturers generally not being that invested in students, focused more on their research, academics slow to respond to emails etc; such things are endemic in higher education and not localised to UCL engineering or anywhere for that matter)

Thank you. How do you reccommend I look at graduate prospects for the courses?
Original post by green212
Thank you. How do you reccommend I look at graduate prospects for the courses?

Although the best resource for it, Unistats, has now been closed, the government replacement for that great resource, discoveruni, also publishes some of the same data. Unistats used to show not only how many graduates went into employment after the degree, but also the proportion who were in professional/managerial positions and also what sectors graduates went into (so you could see how many went into engineering, pharmaceutical, etc, vs e.g. retail or professional services).
I work in medical engineering - medical device R&D

I recommend you focus on specific areas that interest you and see which university are conducting relevant research.

Chances are the papers will identify the facilities and industry sponsors they have that support their research.

Personally, my opinion is that a universities ability to conduct quality and relevant research is more desirable than their place on a top 100 list. I’m more interested in what projects you’ve been involved with than the university you’re from. Obviously the universities staff and facilities may determine the relevance and quality of said projects.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris2892
I work in medical engineering - medical device R&D

I recommend you focus on specific areas that interest you and see which university are conducting relevant research.

Chances are the papers will identify the facilities and industry sponsors they have that support their research.

Personally, my opinion is that a universities ability to conduct quality and relevant research is more desirable than their place on a top 100 list. I’m more interested in what projects you’ve been involved with than the university you’re from. Obviously the universities staff and facilities may determine the relevance and quality of said projects.

which uni do you think conducts more relevants resear
ch?
ch?

I have different answers for different types of studies. The relevance of the research for me is specific to what I do. You would get different answers from most engineers you ask.

It would be easier for you to identify what you’re interested in and find out which university or universities leads in that particular field.
ch?

https://instagram.com/a_day_in_the_life_stem
The above page links to recent video questions with Johnson & Johnson employees talking about their route into different biomedical engineering roles, including the universities they went to.

Hope this helps
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest