The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Can I apply to 2 courses at Imperial?

Hi!

I'm interested in 2 Imperial courses in the Biomed Department: Medical Biosciences and Molecular Engineering. I'm aware the courses are very different but I absolutely love components of both and am finding it difficult to decide between them.

I'm predicted 4A* in Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry so I meet both entry requirements and I have a solid background for a bio based course and an engineering course. My personal statement is very biomed/research focused but contains parts about my interest in coding, radiology tech, and genome sequencing techniques (would you say this is geared adequately to both courses? I can provide more info if necessary!)

Is it wise to apply to both courses at Imperial within the same cycle? And if I were rejected from one, would that negatively impact my chances of acceptance to the other course?

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 1
They're not in the same department so it's not like they'll automatically reject you for one of them.

That said, you'll still have to decide between them even if you get offers from both. Better to decide now, and free up a space for a safer uni.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
They're not in the same department so it's not like they'll automatically reject you for one of them.

That said, you'll still have to decide between them even if you get offers from both. Better to decide now, and free up a space for a safer uni.

a) They definitely are in the same department -> The Biomedical Sciences department
b) I don't really understand what a 'safer uni' would be as the requirements for Imperial Medical Biosciences are AAA which I exceed. They aren't clear about whether they interview but I'm inclined to say they don't interview and don't have an admissions test. Surely that's pretty safe?
Original post by its_jiaa
a) They definitely are in the same department -> The Biomedical Sciences department
b) I don't really understand what a 'safer uni' would be as the requirements for Imperial Medical Biosciences are AAA which I exceed. They aren't clear about whether they interview but I'm inclined to say they don't interview and don't have an admissions test. Surely that's pretty safe?

Molecular Bioengineering is in the Department of Bioengineering while Medical Biosciences is in the School of Medicine.

Note sure why you think they're in the same department (it quite clearly states the department for both at the bottom of the respective prospectus pages).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4

a) they definitely are in different departments.
b) medical biosciences has an offer rate of 29%, so it is quite competitive. Having the right predicted grades isn't a guarantee that you'll get in.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Molecular Bioengineering is in the Department of Bioengineering while Medical Biosciences is in the School of Medicine.

Note sure why you think they're in the same department.

Ah I can see that now, I swear I'm not being an idiot, here's what I was looking at -> https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/subjects/biomedical-sciences
At this link, under the bracket of 'Biomedical Sciences' I can see both Medical Biosciences and Molecular Engineering (but not regular Bioengineering) therefore I assumed they were in the same department (and distinct from the Bioeng. dept.). Thanks for clearing that up!
Reply 6
Ah I can see that now, I swear I'm not being an idiot, here's what I was looking at -> https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/subjects/biomedical-sciences
At this link, under the bracket of 'Biomedical Sciences' I can see both Medical Biosciences and Molecular Engineering (but not regular Bioengineering) therefore I assumed they were in the same department (and distinct from the Bioeng. dept.). Thanks for clearing that up!

oh yeah they tried to arrange the course search in terms of themes. It's bloody stupid, you used to be able to just browse through an A-Z of the courses on offer, now you can't.
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
oh yeah they tried to arrange the course search in terms of themes. It's bloody stupid, you used to be able to just browse through an A-Z of the courses on offer, now you can't.

I was getting sooooo confused haha, but thanks very much for the heads up. Good to know they're definitely in different depts.!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending