The Student Room Group

Opinions on these A-Level subjects

Would chemistry, biology and psychology make good A-Level subjects for someone who is hopeful to pursue medicine as a career? How much effort will I need to put in to get top grades? What would the general topics I would learn about be?

My most recent predicted grades for GCSE are 8,3 for chemistry (low 8) and a 7,1 for biology (high 7). Psychology wasn't an option for me to take as a GCSE, but it feels like a subject I would enjoy educating myself about, and seems to tie in well with both chemistry and biology.
So if your wanting to apply to Cambridge/Oxford no for the psychology as pretty sure they want phyiscs/Maths and Oxford is a joke when it comes to GCSE grades unless you have like 10 A*s+. I also live in Oxford but wouldn't dream of going there.

I am an adult learner and will be studying GCSE this year and providing I get the entry criteria I will be doing the exact same A levels for the exact same University course.

Most schools require Chemistry/Biology or both & 1 subject of your choice excluding some subjects like critical thinking & can't remember the others.
I think your choices are good just depends what medical school you want to goto after..? If It's not Cambridge/Oxford then they will be fine.
I also urge you to go on every single UK medical school and check A level requirements just to make sure but I'm pretty confident these will be fine.
This should help you:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/medical-schools

I suggest you find out first what exam board for the A levels, then look at the exam boards of the A level subjects you have picked then you can look at past papers, course specification, mark papers and more.

It's up to you how much effort you put in your studies based on your lifestyle perhaps little more effort than you did at GCSE but a tip is not to sit for a whole day 12 hours sitting there trying to fill your head with stuff it will cause you headaches take breaks try make a study plan weekly timetable.

For me this year it's AQA for GCSEs & next year It will be OCR exam board for A levels and the topics would be like this for me but most likely the same for everyone.

Module 1: Development of Practical Skills in Chemistry

Module 2: Foundations in Chemistry: study of atoms; molecules and equations; calculations involving reacting substances; acid-base reactions and structure and bonding of substances.

Module 3: Periodic table and energy: study of Group 2 and halogens; enthalpy changes, rate of reaction and equilibrium.

Module 4: Core Organic Chemistry: study of hydrocarbons and other organic chemicals; how substances can be analysed.

Module 1, 2, 3, 4 first year modules

Module 5 Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements: mathematical treatment of reaction rates, equilibrium, pH, buffers with transition metal chemistry.

Module 6 Further study of organic chemistry and analysis: further information on organic chemistry with analysis of substances.

After Year 1 you take an examination covering modules 1-4. At the end of Year 2 you will take examinations which cover all 6 modules including modules 1, 2, 3 and 4 which is the A level qualification. For more information on the units visit the OCR website www.ocr.org.uk

Good luck :smile:

p.s post your full GCSE results here when you get them :P
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply :smile: Still not sure about uni yet, but i think as long as i make it into one that both me and my parents are happy with I'll be ok. I've given up hope on getting into cambridge, but if oxford requires me to take either physics or maths (two of my weaker subjects) I think I'll have to give up on that too. Imperial College or UCL seem like a better alternative I think.
Original post by notokay
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply :smile: Still not sure about uni yet, but i think as long as i make it into one that both me and my parents are happy with I'll be ok. I've given up hope on getting into cambridge, but if oxford requires me to take either physics or maths (two of my weaker subjects) I think I'll have to give up on that too. Imperial College or UCL seem like a better alternative I think.

Oxford combines your BMAT & GCSE A* grades into consideration for a place where cambridge don't need specific personal A* on GCSEs however your A levels must be A*A*A minimum including Chemistry, Biology Physics/Maths.
Imperial and UCL are also hard schools to get in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Are they really? Since I've always been told that oxford and cambridge are "better" universities, I've assumed that they would be harder to get into. Though I'm fully aware that Oxford tends to take GCSEs into account, I feel like it would be easier to get a good score on both the BMAT and GCSEs than get A* A* A in the A-Levels (especially since like I mentioned previously, I tend to struggle with physics and maths). Thank you again for providing info I wasn't aware of :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest