The Student Room Group

Law or Sociology - A Levels

okay so i’ve just completed my AS levels and i’m struggling on deciding which subject to drop... so i was just wondering what everyones opinion is on these two subjects? especially if you’ve studied them before that would be great to get an insight into.

law is with AQA and sociology with OCR. i actually quote enjoy both subjects a lot, i find that law has slightly more interesting content than sociology but it is so so much harder for me than sociology. i would be aiming for at least a B in law and i’m not sure if i could achieve that. sociology on the other hand i think i would find easier to get a B in.

i’m just struggling on whether to go for the subject that i find really interesting but much much harder (law) or go for the subject that i find less interesting but i find easier to learn and understand (sociology)..

any help would be appreciated thank youu (:
Original post by birights
okay so i’ve just completed my AS levels and i’m struggling on deciding which subject to drop... so i was just wondering what everyones opinion is on these two subjects? especially if you’ve studied them before that would be great to get an insight into.

law is with AQA and sociology with OCR. i actually quote enjoy both subjects a lot, i find that law has slightly more interesting content than sociology but it is so so much harder for me than sociology. i would be aiming for at least a B in law and i’m not sure if i could achieve that. sociology on the other hand i think i would find easier to get a B in.

i’m just struggling on whether to go for the subject that i find really interesting but much much harder (law) or go for the subject that i find less interesting but i find easier to learn and understand (sociology)..

any help would be appreciated thank youu (:

I studied Sociology, so I am quite prone to some bias here. But I'll tell you for for free I prefer it than Law, not just because it's more simpler but you can see the affects of in contemporary society (im not sure if its the same for Law) e.g. reasons for underachievement, reasons for beliefs in society according to gender, race etc, globalisation etc etc; which for me was cool because it could allow me to flourish in some debates outside of school and so on. Whereas, I feel like with Law (considering I was thinking to do it as an a-level) is limited to what you can do with it outside of school and other things. But, if you want to become a lawyer (or something to that nature) pick at as an a-level. But, just know it is hard!
i study both and prefer sociology! i get similar grades in both but, like sociology more. for sociology i find the content much easier to understand & memorise and the way the exam questions flow is much easier in my opinion!
Reply 3
Original post by A*Student2017
I studied Sociology, so I am quite prone to some bias here. But I'll tell you for for free I prefer it than Law, not just because it's more simpler but you can see the affects of in contemporary society (im not sure if its the same for Law) e.g. reasons for underachievement, reasons for beliefs in society according to gender, race etc, globalisation etc etc; which for me was cool because it could allow me to flourish in some debates outside of school and so on. Whereas, I feel like with Law (considering I was thinking to do it as an a-level) is limited to what you can do with it outside of school and other things. But, if you want to become a lawyer (or something to that nature) pick at as an a-level. But, just know it is hard!

Original post by Libbyc16
i study both and prefer sociology! i get similar grades in both but, like sociology more. for sociology i find the content much easier to understand & memorise and the way the exam questions flow is much easier in my opinion!

thank you both for replying! i think i may go for sociology then, it does seem so much simpler to understand and i do still enjoy learning about it a lot! (:

Quick Reply

Latest