The Student Room Group

Retaking A level as a mature student with dyslexia

I’m planning to self study Maths and Physics A level. I did Physics A level around 15 years ago. However, I had undiagnosed dyslexia and struggled without the additional support I needed. I came out with a D grade.

As an adult I have been diagnosed and given the support and have developed the skills I never had at school.

I now understand that I did so badly due to my lack of organisation skills and because I didn’t do Maths as another subject, so lacked the Maths knowledge. It wasn’t taught as it was assumed all students were learning what they needed for Physics in their Maths A level.

I would absolutely love to self study both Maths and Physics A level. They are subjects that I love and there are so many resources available to do A levels that having looked at other options this feels like the best way for me. I’ve researched costs, exam centres etc and am aware of the issue with practical assessment in Physics.
However, what I can’t seem to find is whether I can retake A level Physics. Because it was so long ago it was the old system with multiple exams throughout the year and As levels counting towards final grading. I don’t want to study and go through paying for any examination costs only to discover I can’t take it or any grade I achieve is meaningless because I already took the subject years ago so only my original bad grade counts. Anyone have any experience of this or advise?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Yes you can retake and you would then have both grades. I'm sure everyone would take the more recent one as the better reflection of your abilities now.

A word of warning - if you you feel you need access arrangements (e.g. extra time) in A level exams then do not get yourself assessed before finding an exam centre as it would not be valid evidence - evidence has to be gathered by the centre. The rules are here:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/ see p20
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Yes you can retake and you would then have both grades. I'm sure everyone would take the more recent one as the better reflection of your abilities now.

A word of warning - if you you feel you need access arrangements (e.g. extra time) in A level exams then do not get yourself assessed before finding an exam centre as it would not be valid evidence - evidence has to be gathered by the centre. The rules are here:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/ see p20

Thanks that’s really useful and good to know. Id still want to learn the subjects, but it would seem pointless specifically working towards an A level with the financial cost etc if I wouldn’t be awarded a new grade.

As I was diagnosed as an adult I’ve never dealt with organising access arrangements for exams, so that’s really helpful. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest