The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by larahe06
Since we're on the topic of rooms, I'm applying for self-selection accommodation and there will be a flat that says there are 8 bedrooms but then it shows up as six slots. I would assume the other two would be reserved for the opposite sex since they want to create an even split between the sexes?

I think the other two are being saved for results day and people applying through clearing.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, Just curious as to how this might work in a flat of 5 for expample

I know a flat with 5 and there's 2 boys and 3 girls in it, I'm not sure if there's always more girls than boys or if it alternates for every flat or building but the accommodation team are really helpful on the phone so if this is a concern then you can always call them.

It's might also be good to note that some people call up to book a specific room for certain reasons. For example if a girl needs room on the ground floor for medical reasons but the only room left is technically reserved for a boy to book then they'll change this and just put the girl in there so some even numbered flats might have more girls/boys.

Have you booked your accommodation? You should be able to see the information about the other people who have booked the same flat provided that they agreed to share their details on the portal.
Original post by studentlemon
I know a flat with 5 and there's 2 boys and 3 girls in it, I'm not sure if there's always more girls than boys or if it alternates for every flat or building but the accommodation team are really helpful on the phone so if this is a concern then you can always call them.

It's might also be good to note that some people call up to book a specific room for certain reasons. For example if a girl needs room on the ground floor for medical reasons but the only room left is technically reserved for a boy to book then they'll change this and just put the girl in there so some even numbered flats might have more girls/boys.

Have you booked your accommodation? You should be able to see the information about the other people who have booked the same flat provided that they agreed to share their details on the portal.

yeah I've booked and 3 out of the 4 (including me) have been booked out of the slots available, but the other 2 just say occupied lmao
yeah I've booked and 3 out of the 4 (including me) have been booked out of the slots available, but the other 2 just say occupied lmao

For me, I can only see rooms 4-6 (all girls including me) but not 1-3. So I’m assuming that they a. Haven’t yet been booked yet and b. Reserved for boys (& if not taken up by them then will be booked by girls)?? Is this right?
Original post by GraceH-8
For me, I can only see rooms 4-6 (all girls including me) but not 1-3. So I’m assuming that they a. Haven’t yet been booked yet and b. Reserved for boys (& if not taken up by them then will be booked by girls)?? Is this right?

I'm guessing if they're not taken up they'll be allocated after results day to the insurance holders maybe or allocated during preferences.
I'm guessing if they're not taken up they'll be allocated after results day to the insurance holders maybe or allocated during preferences.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Thank you!!:smile:
Original post by nips2iclr
Hi, does anyone know how much Graduate Teaching Assistants get paid and/or other part-time uni jobs pay ?

Hey, current student here!

I've had quite some experience with part-time jobs while studying here and what I can say is that normally, it would be around the minimum wage or above that. The University has several services that help not only with getting part-time jobs within and outside the Uni itself (i.e. the JobShop for casual or part-time jobs & CareerConnect for internships, placements, etc), but also with employability on the longer term (the Career Service is amazing for this). I don't know precisely what the pay is for graduate TAs but the University is quite reasonable with pay in my personal experience and they do help you secure the jobs that you want with application- and CV-writing workshops and other tools.

If you have any questions about this or other topics, let me know!

Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy
Does anyone know what it means if someone has an a next to their name in the actual self-selection portion of accommodation?

For example, the apartment/flat would appear and then in the bottom it would say something like this:

LAWD0105-a - [insert display name here]

Is there any significance for the “a” to appear there? What does that signify about the flatmate or the flat altogether?
Does anyone know how to go back and see if anyone else has booked the same flat as you once you have already booked yours?
Original post by aoifeculkin7
Does anyone know how to go back and see if anyone else has booked the same flat as you once you have already booked yours?

Yes you can, just login to the Starez portal (the same website as when you booked your room) and click 'Accommodation Application' on the top. You should be able to see the other rooms in your flat and if anyone is in them. If it says 'Occupied' on any of them then someone's booked that room but chosen not to share their details. If someone has booked a room and chosen to share their details then you'll be able to see their name and if you click 'View Profile' on their room, it shows their gender, age and their bio (if they chose to write one).
Original post by studentlemon
Yes you can, just login to the Starez portal (the same website as when you booked your room) and click 'Accommodation Application' on the top. You should be able to see the other rooms in your flat and if anyone is in them. If it says 'Occupied' on any of them then someone's booked that room but chosen not to share their details. If someone has booked a room and chosen to share their details then you'll be able to see their name and if you click 'View Profile' on their room, it shows their gender, age and their bio (if they chose to write one).

Do i have to accept the accommodation contract before i can see who else is in the flat? I have chosen the room but not accepted the contract yet and when i log in to Starez it takes me to Accommodation Offer 21-22 and booking summary but there is no information on the other rooms.

You should be able to go back on the website and just follow the buttons and it will say room held, scroll down and the other rooms should show up also.
You should be able to go back on the website and just follow the buttons and it will say room held, scroll down and the other rooms should show up also.

When I go log in and go to accommodation application it takes me to a booking summary and accommodation offer - which I haven’t accepted yet. I can’t see anything about the other rooms in the flat or anything about any of the other buildings that are available. Sorry to be a pain :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
When I go log in and go to accommodation application it takes me to a booking summary and accommodation offer - which I haven’t accepted yet. I can’t see anything about the other rooms in the flat or anything about any of the other buildings that are available. Sorry to be a pain :smile:

You’ll need to accept the accommodation offer first then. So far you only have the room within your ‘basket’ (I think). Therefore, you won’t see any further information, such as other flats because you have selected that room, you’ll see other buildings if you restart your application. Once once you’ve fully accepted the offer will you see your fellow flatmates. Hope that helps!
You’ll need to accept the accommodation offer first then. So far you only have the room within your ‘basket’ (I think). Therefore, you won’t see any further information, such as other flats because you have selected that room, you’ll see other buildings if you restart your application. Once once you’ve fully accepted the offer will you see your fellow flatmates. Hope that helps!

Ok that makes sense thank you. I was wondering how some people know what other rooms are available and change their room after they have already chosen one since I’m not able to see what other buildings are available. Do they just restart the application and hope that there is something else there? Thanks for the help!
Ok that makes sense thank you. I was wondering how some people know what other rooms are available and change their room after they have already chosen one since I’m not able to see what other buildings are available. Do they just restart the application and hope that there is something else there? Thanks for the help!

hi I asked the uni about this yesterday. If you want to change your room after you have booked it, or you want to see which other ones are available in case you want to change, you have to cancel your application and start again which means you will loose the place you have in your booked room.
Original post by Merriewoodcock
hi I asked the uni about this yesterday. If you want to change your room after you have booked it, or you want to see which other ones are available in case you want to change, you have to cancel your application and start again which means you will loose the place you have in your booked room.

Ok thank you that makes sense thank you. I think I’ll stay in the same room I just wasn’t sure how to see what other options there were :smile:

no worries at all! Yup, that’s right, people usually restart if they’re not a fan of their current flat but in my opinion, that’s a bit of a gamble. Self-selection ends the 12th of May so if I were you, go for the one you’ve picked (if it’s what you’re looking for!) as other areas may be limited now :smile:
Original post by Merriewoodcock

Also is there any chance you are doing medicine because I think I might have booked the same flat haha. Are you thinking of changing flats? :smile:
Also is there any chance you are doing medicine because I think I might have booked the same flat haha. Are you thinking of changing flats? :smile:

Oh yeah hi, I didn’t clock you’re username! No I wasn’t planning to change. I think I got my days mixed up when I posted here, I had acc been talking the uni a few days ago to check how the process worked before I planted my flag in the windgather flat. Are you thinking of changing- I saw we have a new flat mate which is exciting but they’re anon... mysterious

Latest

Trending

Trending