The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

The Official University of Sheffield Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Hi 😊.

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2024.

Meet and chat to other applicants applying here.

Here are some icebreaker questions, but feel free to ask whatever you want regarding Sheffield.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Sheffield do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Sheffield specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other unis you're interested in?

The general website for the university can be found here.

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by medic0975
Hi 😊.

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2024.

Here are some icebreaker questions, but feel free to ask whatever you want regarding Sheffield.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

General TSR rules:

I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my a levels.
I’m applying to the computer science course.
At GCSE I achieved 7 grade 8’s, one grade 7 and then a 5 (in art).
When I visited for the open day, Sheffield had great facilities for computer science students and I liked how I would get to work with the engineering students as that’s closer to how it will be in the workplace.
I don’t need to take any admissions test for Sheffield but i am taking the MAT.
I am slightly nervous about starting uni but mainly excited.
The other unis I’m interested in are: Leeds, Plymouth, Warwick and Oxford
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
1. French, history and psychology
2. Modern Languages and Cultures (french + russian) because i love learning languages and I love the prospect of the year abroad
3. got 988888777 at GCSE, with the 9 being in french and maths + english lang being 8.
predicted A*A*A at A-level
4. I have heard really good things about the nightlife + it is a super cheap city
5. none for Sheffield, but the MLAT and LAT for Oxford
6. tried to but i had work :frown:
7. excited and ready
8. Durham Uni, LSE, UCL + Uni of Oxford
Reply 3
Original post by beepbop6up
1. French, history and psychology
2. Modern Languages and Cultures (french + russian) because i love learning languages and I love the prospect of the year abroad
3. got 988888777 at GCSE, with the 9 being in french and maths + english lang being 8.
predicted A*A*A at A-level
4. I have heard really good things about the nightlife + it is a super cheap city
5. none for Sheffield, but the MLAT and LAT for Oxford
6. tried to but i had work :frown:
7. excited and ready
8. Durham Uni, LSE, UCL + Uni of Oxford

Good luck with the entrance exams! I’ll be taking the MAT next month as I’m applying to Oxfords Maths and computer science joint honours.
Reply 4
Hi, I submitted my application to centre earlier!!! It’s terrifying but I’m glad it’s done. The course I’ve applied for Computer Science.
Reply 5
Hi 😊.

General TSR rules:

Hi! I'm studying maths, physics and economics and I want to apply for mechatronics and robotics at Sheffield because I love automating things, AI and making stuff at home so robotics seemed like a good mix of what I love. I got 777766655 in GCSE and I'm predicted to get A*AB in A level but that may go up in the next week. I luckily don't have any admissions tests and I want to apply to Sheffield because I really love the facilities for engineering and I love the amount of nature there. I went to the September Open Day and I really loved the city and the university. I'm really excited but also excited to start uni and im going to apply to Bath, Leeds and Liverpool (I'm still deciding on the last uni to apply to)
Hi,
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology at A Level and predicted A*A*A*.
I've applied for Biochemistry with an Industrial Placement Year.
I like the city, and went to the open day and loved the facilities (felt like good environment and nice place to be). Accommodation looks nice too.
Reply 7
Hi 😊.

General TSR rules:

1. Psychology, English literature and biology
2. Psychology
3. 9999888877, A* A* A
4. I went to the open day and just liked the vibes tbh, everyone seemed friendly and the accommodation was nice and I like the psychology course! also i’m interested in neuroscience and sheffield does a lot of neuroscience research
5. nothing for sheffield but TSA for oxford (sat it last week)
7. excited but also nervous
8. edinburgh, oxford, durham, york
Hi,

My name is Lizzie and I am in my third year at the University of Sheffield.
I am studying Mathematics and Philosophy and have really enjoyed studying at Uni and being in Sheffield.

If you have any questions about anything or would like any information or advice, please feel free to ask.

Lizzie
Reply 9
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

I am studying Mathematics and Philosophy and have really enjoyed studying at Uni and being in Sheffield.

If you have any questions about anything or would like any information or advice, please feel free to ask.

Lizzie

Hi, when you were applying to uni how did you decide which uni to put as your firm? I already have a few offers and am still waiting on a few but the whole decision seems so daunting. What specifically made you pick Sheffield over the other unis you applied to? Also which accommodation did you stay in for first year and what was your opinion of it?
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

Lizzie

What's the city of Sheffield like? Is it a very quiet city, and are there lots of different things to do?
Reply 11
Anyone got any offers for aerospace engineering yet?

Hi 😊.

General TSR rules:
Reply 12
does sheffield uni have any eligibility criteria for admission into medicine?
if do how can i apply for it
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Izzy-06
Hi, when you were applying to uni how did you decide which uni to put as your firm? I already have a few offers and am still waiting on a few but the whole decision seems so daunting. What specifically made you pick Sheffield over the other unis you applied to? Also which accommodation did you stay in for first year and what was your opinion of it?

congrats, where did you get offers from and what grades do you need
i sent my application last wednesday, go two acknowledgment emails from sheffield but thats it
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by jamest0394q

congrats, where did you get offers from

Thanks! I’ve applied for computer science Bsc courses and my offers so far are:
Sheffield - AAA or AABB
Nottingham - AAA
Plymouth - 104 ucas points
I’m still waiting on Leeds and Oxford but I’m aware they will take longer to let me know.
My application went in on the 11th of October. I heard from Plymouth on the 12th, Sheffield the 18th and Nottingham the 19th.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 15
Hi 😊.

General TSR rules:

Hey everyone!
I am currently studying Psychology, Philosophy & Ethics and English (combined)
I have applied to do Japanese at Sheffield and now I'm just waiting for a response
I have been predicted AAC (not the best I know I'm trying to get revising and improve that)
I saw Uni of Sheffield and instantly fell in love and if I get an offer I am definitely going to firm Sheffield
I have applied to Birkbeck, SOAS, UCLan and Cambridge (just for a laugh) all for Japanese Studies
I've received an unconditional offer from UCLan and I'm waiting (very impatiently) for a response from all the other unis.
If you're also applying to the Japanese course then feel free to say hi!! I haven't seen anyone yet looking to do the same course as I am
Original post by Izzy-06

Hi, I am another of the student ambassadors from the University of Sheffield, Lizzie will be back online in a few days and will be able to answer you too, but I thought I'd talk about my experience so you can see different sides of it. When I was applying to Uni I was told to think about the city and the university as a whole and whether it felt like somewhere I could live and study. I went to some of the post-applicant open days and spoke to current students and wandered around the city and university. I thought it felt like somewhere I could call home. The course is also very important, but that is something you will have probably looked at to narrow your choices previously, and sometimes it can be hard because many of the courses are similar. I get that it can seem very scary, but I know lots of people who ended up at different universities than they thought they wanted to go to and ended up having an amazing time and are actually glad it worked out that way. You can make the most of wherever you are, and nothing is ever set in stone.
I chose Sheffield because there were lots of parks and the peak district was nearby, the students union seemed really inclusive and there were loads of societies. But I mainly chose it because the students seemed hard working but not stressed and it felt like they did not seem under pressure - which was huge for me because I found A-levels quite stressful.
I stayed in Howden in Endcliffe in my first year, and I really enjoyed it! It was a little noisy in the first few weeks but for the rest of the year it was great. All of the accommodation is really nice and I had friends in the shared bathroom ones too - and some of them actually are much nicer than ensuite - plus the bathrooms are cleaned for you too.
I hope this gives you a bit of an insight into what it is like. I wish you the best with your application and decisions, I know it's easy to say now, but try not to stress about it it will all be okay.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by ManUtd_21
What's the city of Sheffield like? Is it a very quiet city, and are there lots of different things to do?

Sheffield is a big city, but it is quite sprawling. The city centre is not huge, but there are lots of different centres of culture and shopping around the city. It is a very green city and there are lots of parks, so sometimes it does not feel like a city, because there are so many trees. It is not as commercial as Manchester or Leeds, but it is a much safer city and there is still a lot going on. There are lots of bars and live music venues all across the city, there is plenty to do from clubs, cafes, escape rooms, roller skating, restaurants etc. The university also puts on lots of events too.
Is there anything in particular that you wanted to know about in the city - i.e. specific venues?
Original post by mikoimran
does sheffield uni have any eligibility criteria for admission into medicine?
if do how can i apply for it

The deadline for medicine applications for most UK medical schools 2024 entry was the 16th October.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/smph/undergraduate/medicine-admissions#C - medicine application information for Sheffield can be found on this website.
You will need to sit the UCAT test which will help determine whether you get an interview. There are different cutoffs for home and oversees applicants.
I hope I have interpreted your question right,
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply 19
Just got an offer for aerospace engineering!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending