The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

hey i got my mock results back and they arnt amazing. i want to do medicine and need to be predicted 3 As which i probably wont be- i think maybe predicted ABB but not AAA, and i am not eligible for contextual offers which also means i am not eligible for most foundation courses either. If anyone knows any foundation courses for medicine which arn't contextual please let me know, and also what other people who are in similar situations do. A few teachers have suggested i take a gap year and reapply with better grades, however i am not too keen on this and i really want to start uni in September however i will consider this option. I have looked into optometry as alternative however i have heard that there is some physics in the course ( and i hate physics lol) so yeah idrk what to do. are theer any similar courses that i may enjoy? im just looking for options at the minute. I also rlly like philosophy and was planning on intercalating in this during med school, however if i did an actual undergrad degree in this i thought it would be a waste of time as i dont think there are many (well paid) jobs that i would enjoy apart from law (which im not too sure i don think i want to do this) so yeah sorry fro waffling i just need to find out if there are any more options available.
Original post by BishBash726
hey i got my mock results back and they arnt amazing. i want to do medicine and need to be predicted 3 As which i probably wont be- i think maybe predicted ABB but not AAA, and i am not eligible for contextual offers which also means i am not eligible for most foundation courses either. If anyone knows any foundation courses for medicine which arn't contextual please let me know, and also what other people who are in similar situations do. A few teachers have suggested i take a gap year and reapply with better grades, however i am not too keen on this and i really want to start uni in September however i will consider this option. I have looked into optometry as alternative however i have heard that there is some physics in the course ( and i hate physics lol) so yeah idrk what to do. are theer any similar courses that i may enjoy? im just looking for options at the minute. I also rlly like philosophy and was planning on intercalating in this during med school, however if i did an actual undergrad degree in this i thought it would be a waste of time as i dont think there are many (well paid) jobs that i would enjoy apart from law (which im not too sure i don think i want to do this) so yeah sorry fro waffling i just need to find out if there are any more options available.

If it’s Medicine or something else, do something else.

Just for context I know very little about medicine courses - so I am just asking - what would be the difference between applying for a foundation course this year or applying next year for a standard medicine course - wouldn't you graduate at the same time with the same qualification?
Original post by Becca216
Just for context I know very little about medicine courses - so I am just asking - what would be the difference between applying for a foundation course this year or applying next year for a standard medicine course - wouldn't you graduate at the same time with the same qualification?

yes you do graduate at the same time however my only thing is ik this sounds dumb but i wanna like make the most of my teenage years and meet people and stuff at uni like i don't wanna waste a year. Especially with corona travelling would be difficult and all i would be doing is more volunteering and work experience ect and i feel like i would get lonley seeing all my school friends having fun at uni. i know this all sounds dumb but its just how i feel :frown:
Original post by Tracheostenosis
If it’s Medicine or something else, do something else.

why?? do u know poeple who have done it and dont like it or something?
yes you do graduate at the same time however my only thing is ik this sounds dumb but i wanna like make the most of my teenage years and meet people and stuff at uni like i don't wanna waste a year. Especially with corona travelling would be difficult and all i would be doing is more volunteering and work experience ect and i feel like i would get lonley seeing all my school friends having fun at uni. i know this all sounds dumb but its just how i feel :frown:

also a lot of people say its hard to get back into education after taking a year off so like i dont wanna risk loosing my motivation
why?? do u know poeple who have done it and dont like it or something?

If your heart is not fully set out on Medicine, simply don’t do it.
If you want to do another course then go and do that.
If your heart is not fully set out on Medicine, simply don’t do it.
If you want to do another course then go and do that.

there's nothing else i like tho like i love the whole course and the modules and the specialities and the job of a doctor would give me the most job satisfaction. There isnt something else thats why i was trying to see if there is something else just to make sure im considering all options but i have done a lot of research and cant find anything else that i would enjoy as much.
there's nothing else i like tho like i love the whole course and the modules and the specialities and the job of a doctor would give me the most job satisfaction. There isnt something else thats why i was trying to see if there is something else just to make sure im considering all options but i have done a lot of research and cant find anything else that i would enjoy as much.

Then simply take a Gap year or do everything you can to get into Medical school. You could do biomedicine then transfer but that’d be extremely stupid, the costs and it’s even more competitive than standard entry. Not only that, you still have to meet the Grade requirements, do UCAT etc..
(edited 3 years ago)
Then simply take a Gap year or do everything you can to get into Medical school. You could do biomedicine then transfer but that’d be extremely stupid, the costs and it’s even more competitive than standard entry. Not only that, you still have to meet the Grade requirements, do UCAT etc..

yeah i wouldnt do biomed with the sole purpose of hoping for a transfer its pointless but yeah i guess i am gonna have to consider a gap year

That’s a fair comment and I see where you are coming from :redface: I guess the only advice I can give is if you do take a gap year, think about clubs you can join where you can interact with other people. I don’t know what you enjoy doing, but if you enjoy clubbing or nights out, hopefully you can find a way to do that in your area.

Best of luck with whatever you choose! :smile:
yeah i wouldnt do biomed with the sole purpose of hoping for a transfer its pointless but yeah i guess i am gonna have to consider a gap year

Yeah best thing, whatever you do, I wish you the very best :smile:
Original post by josie71202
do you have any tips because I'm a B but would love an A or A*

Extremely late but for sociology these are a few methods I use and some is advice from my sociology teacher, I hope this helps you !

1) I ALWAYS write a mini plan before answering a 20/30 mark question just so I can have structure and refer back to it and sometimes when you have a plan the examiner may award you an extra mark or two as it shows them that you know how to answer the question.
2) This is something I just do: For 2/6/10 mark questions I read the question and around it I note down anything I remember relating to a specific term in the question.
3) When I explain I always link it back to the question using ‘therefore’. For example “Therefore this shows that family does contribute...”
4) I always try my best to add in a criticism for the evaluation in every paragraph.
5) Never use first person in your conclusion e.g “In my opinion/Personally I believe that“ etc You need to basically summarise in a few lines about the main points in the essay, contrast or compare.
6) Use relevant contemporary examples.
7) I make flash cards really condensing the information into a few lines or the main points.
8) I go over topics that I struggle on and do as many questions as I can relating to the topic for practice, I also do past papers when I can.
Yeah best thing, whatever you do, I wish you the very best :smile:

Trachea guy what subjects are you doing if you don't mind me asking? 😊
Original post by Lookingzar
Trachea guy what subjects are you doing if you don't mind me asking? 😊

chem bio maths lol
chem bio maths lol

Nice im doing the same except for bio 👌
Nice im doing the same except for bio 👌

replace bio with what subject ?
replace bio with what subject ?

With Spanish, did the AS in bio though 😂👍🏼
With Spanish, did the AS in bio though 😂👍🏼

AS Bio is piss😂😂😂
Wyd in uni ?
AS Bio is piss😂😂😂
Wyd in uni ?

Hey its still something 😂 I preferred spanish a lot more. I applied for chem last year but I'm looking at other stuff now

Quick Reply

Latest