The Student Room Group

Sixthform

I’m going to a new school where I know no one . It’s a Sixthform where people already went to the school before so there will be a lot of friendship groups already formed. Especially with COVID it’s harder as I can’t just go up and approach someone due to social distancing. I tend to get quiet when I’m nervous or am in an unfamiliar situation and really scared I won’t make friends . Any advice ?
Original post by StudentBeA2
I’m going to a new school where I know no one . It’s a Sixthform where people already went to the school before so there will be a lot of friendship groups already formed. Especially with COVID it’s harder as I can’t just go up and approach someone due to social distancing. I tend to get quiet when I’m nervous or am in an unfamiliar situation and really scared I won’t make friends . Any advice ?

Just try and be approachable. People many have already formed friend groups but I can guarantee they won't have all the same timetables. You'll probably find there are a few people in your situation in your lessons as their friends won't always be in the same classes. Also during frees you'll find a similar scenario (for my sixth form its when the business and PE classes are on) where there are only a few people in the common room so automatically you end up speaking to new people. Helping people with questions who are on your course or passing on a message that applies to the whole year can help.

I'd say I'm a very loud person amongst my friends but in new situations I can be a bit more timid sometimes. There's a balance between being overconfident and shy but if you can I'd recommend being outgoing.

I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends. There are very few people in my sixth form who I would describe as unfriendly :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
Just try and be approachable. People many have already formed friend groups but I can guarantee they won't have all the same timetables. You'll probably find there are a few people in your situation in your lessons as their friends won't always be in the same classes. Also during frees you'll find a similar scenario (for my sixth form its when the business and PE classes are on) where there are only a few people in the common room so automatically you end up speaking to new people. Helping people with questions who are on your course or passing on a message that applies to the whole year can help.

I'd say I'm a very loud person amongst my friends but in new situations I can be a bit more timid sometimes. There's a balance between being overconfident and shy but if you can I'd recommend being outgoing.

I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends. There are very few people in my sixth form who I would describe as unfriendly :smile:

Couldn't have said it any better!
A fair few new people joined my sixth form and they all found groups pretty easily, despite some of them being very shy. Try and find people in your subjects who you can talk to (those sitting near you (I won't say next to you but who knows)) and a friendship can form even if you only begin by talking about the lesson. Good luck and you'll be okay - give it time!
Reply 4
Ur new school is probs better that ur old one, which would have been filled with neeks studing for btecs, so u should be gratefull. I moved to a private school sixthform and best decision in my life, even if i was a loner for the first two weeks
Reply 5
Original post by turkeydinosaur16

Thank you so much this has really helped :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Shhsvsk
Ur new school is probs better that ur old one, which would have been filled with neeks studing for btecs, so u should be gratefull. I moved to a private school sixthform and best decision in my life, even if i was a loner for the first two weeks

Haha thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by OCorOOC6337
A fair few new people joined my sixth form and they all found groups pretty easily, despite some of them being very shy. Try and find people in your subjects who you can talk to (those sitting near you (I won't say next to you but who knows)) and a friendship can form even if you only begin by talking about the lesson. Good luck and you'll be okay - give it time!

Thank you so much :smile: I’m normally quiet an outgoing person but cause I’m new I sometimes go quiet just to blend in and I think the 5 months of being at home hasn’t helped 😂 thank you this has really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending