The Student Room Group

Help with A Level Spanish (or languages in general) speaking presentation

I am currently researching and writing drafts for my 2 minute Spanish research presentation that will be followed by a discussion in the speaking exam. I'm only just getting started really so we haven't done much work in class (we got just a tiny bit of guidance before summer) so I'm struggling a bit with the skills that need to be demonstrated and how to structure it. I may change my mind but for now, I have decided to research a poetry collection which discusses themes of corruption in society-I am planning on linking it to recent events and movements.
Firstly, do you think this is a good topic?
Secondly, any tips on how much research to do and what skills (i.e. analysis, tenses, advanced structures etc) need to be shown to get a top mark?
:smile:
Heyy,
You won't really get much direct help in class bc the rules are really strict about it being all your own work. It sounds like a fascinating topic to me, as long as you can avoid it being too descriptive. Research: I'd say no such thing as too much research, it'll just make you more confident in the discussion part. If it's poetry, probably start by doing your own analysis, and then read what critics have to say about its links to real life conflict or whatever. Then find out as much as you can about the actual movements you want to relate it to, via news outlets, articles on JSTOR/ Google scholar, YouTube videos, documentaries etc. Remember that most of your sources should be in Spanish and related to the Spanish speaking world, so if it was e.g. Black Lives Matter you'd have to look at the specific cultural situation in Spain or Latin America. . Structure-wise, it can vary a bit, but a kind of mini-essay can work, with a very brief intro, 3 or 4 points of interest and a swift conclusion (a sentence). Grammatical structures can be added after you know what you want to write - ie you choose to write it in an elegant style. Top tip is to draft it on a computer if you can, bc it's easier to edit and make multiple drafts than writing it all out by hand
Reply 2
Original post by Espançais
Heyy,
You won't really get much direct help in class bc the rules are really strict about it being all your own work. It sounds like a fascinating topic to me, as long as you can avoid it being too descriptive. Research: I'd say no such thing as too much research, it'll just make you more confident in the discussion part. If it's poetry, probably start by doing your own analysis, and then read what critics have to say about its links to real life conflict or whatever. Then find out as much as you can about the actual movements you want to relate it to, via news outlets, articles on JSTOR/ Google scholar, YouTube videos, documentaries etc. Remember that most of your sources should be in Spanish and related to the Spanish speaking world, so if it was e.g. Black Lives Matter you'd have to look at the specific cultural situation in Spain or Latin America. . Structure-wise, it can vary a bit, but a kind of mini-essay can work, with a very brief intro, 3 or 4 points of interest and a swift conclusion (a sentence). Grammatical structures can be added after you know what you want to write - ie you choose to write it in an elegant style. Top tip is to draft it on a computer if you can, bc it's easier to edit and make multiple drafts than writing it all out by hand

Thank you that's really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending