The Student Room Group

Job while on gap year

I managed to secure a warehouse job but I’m not sure if it would the be the best choice for me. I have no experience and I know I want to work in customer service when in uni. Will having warehouse experience help me get a customer service job in the future? The job I’m working towards after graduating from uni will require great communication and I’m worried if this year will go to waste if I don’t take up a job where direct communication with customers is the main role.
Original post by Anonymous
I managed to secure a warehouse job but I’m not sure if it would the be the best choice for me. I have no experience and I know I want to work in customer service when in uni. Will having warehouse experience help me get a customer service job in the future? The job I’m working towards after graduating from uni will require great communication and I’m worried if this year will go to waste if I don’t take up a job where direct communication with customers is the main role.

It probably won’t be the best job in terms of communication with customers - however getting a job at all in the current climate is good! Personally, I’d take the job, but don’t be afraid to search for others while working there. You’ve got a whole year, so you can still give a decent chunk of your time working in this role, at the very least to earn and get experience and a reference, even if you move to another role in a few months.

Hi!

Congratulations in securing a job!

Given the current situation i would stick with the job you've been offered.

In my gap year I was in a similar situation. While I was at the job that i didn't want to be at, I got in contact with a career agency, like a job centre. they helped me find another suitable job. Also, they were able to improve my CV and give my interview advice. Overall, extremely helpful.

There are many other opportunities to improve communication skills, like volunteer work, so have a look at that.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Congratulations in securing a job!

Given the current situation i would stick with the job you've been offered.

In my gap year I was in a similar situation. While I was at the job that i didn't want to be at, I got in contact with a career agency, like a job centre. they helped me find another suitable job. Also, they were able to improve my CV and give my interview advice. Overall, extremely helpful.

There are many other opportunities to improve communication skills, like volunteer work, so have a look at that.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
It probably won’t be the best job in terms of communication with customers - however getting a job at all in the current climate is good! Personally, I’d take the job, but don’t be afraid to search for others while working there. You’ve got a whole year, so you can still give a decent chunk of your time working in this role, at the very least to earn and get experience and a reference, even if you move to another role in a few months.

Thank you both! Would you happen to know if working in customer service, in general, requires any work experience?
Thank you both! Would you happen to know if working in customer service, in general, requires any work experience?

Hi!

It generally doesn't, but would depend on where your applying and who they cater for

Quick Reply

Latest