The Student Room Group

I just graduated, what to do now

I just graduated doing a bioscience degree and my original semblance of a 'plan' was to do graduate medicine since I didn't get the grades to do undergraduate medicine. I got a 2:2 so we all know I basically can't do graduate medicine now (the requirement for like 98% of schools is a 2:1) unless I do amazing*on the admission tests and accept*going to the only university in the country that'll take me. I do not like academia at all I actually hate it so I don't even want to do a masters or*anything like that to 'help my chances'.

medicine is interesting to me, but so are a lot of things. I do not have a passion for anything at all*and I can’t think of a single career that would ‘fulfil’ me in life. I do still want to do medicine I guess, but my idea of being a doctor is very reductionist because I still have a very juvenile mind—*like being a doctor to me is like being Jack in the tv show Lost lol. but there is no passion for anything. I do not wake up in the morning thinking “wow I really love the respiratory system”, or “omg red blood cells are so fascinating!!” like no it’s not like that I do find human anatomy interesting but it’s not a passion or excitement for it. I often ask myself: if society and capitalism didn’t exist and we all had everything we needed to live etc. then would I pick up a biology/medicine*book? then I think yes I probably would! because I find anatomy interesting like I said, but I wouldn’t be testing myself over it, I wouldn’t undergo academic stress or*start talking about it randomly in my conversations …* I guess I am different to the majority of people who were in my degree who were*actually passionate about the subject and the modules*and would*be reading stuff in their spare time.*

I planned to take a gap year before any further study but even so I do not know what to do now.

it also doesn't help that I also struggle with quite debilitating anxiety and depression currently, so maybe that's what is affecting my "bleak" or "pessimistic" view of life, but actually*I just think I'm being real. and honestly i think only a handful of people actually have a passion or a zest for life anyway, there are lots of people living*monotonous unhappy lives in jobs they dont care about. maybe i just need to wake up and join the rest of them.
You'll hate my answer but: get a job. Might as well be making money while you figure it all out. If you want something relevant to your degree then there are always entry level lab tech jobs in industry being advertised.

On the very narrow chance you're near Glasgow I could direct you to a biotech company that's a great starting point for a STEM career and currently hiring.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
You'll hate my answer but: get a job. Might as well be making money while you figure it all out. If you want something relevant to your degree then there are always entry level lab tech jobs in industry being advertised.

On the very narrow chance you're near Glasgow I could direct you to a biotech company that's a great starting point for a STEM career and currently hiring.

I am not near Glasglow unfortunately. I hear you, and I'm currently looking for a job actually, but I doubt it will be STEM related. Thanks anyways
Reply 3
It's common to have doubts about your passions and career choices, especially when facing anxiety and depression.

While it's okay not to have a clear passion at the moment, exploring different paths and considering alternative healthcare professions could help you find a fulfilling career within the medical field. Taking a gap year to gain practical experience and focus on your mental well-being can be beneficial.

Remember, finding your path takes time, and it's important to prioritize your own happiness and well-being. Don't compare yourself to others, and be open to unexpected opportunities along the way. Seek support from professionals and engage in self-reflection to discover what truly resonates with you.
Original post by Anonymous
I just graduated doing a bioscience degree and my original semblance of a 'plan' was to do graduate medicine since I didn't get the grades to do undergraduate medicine. I got a 2:2 so we all know I basically can't do graduate medicine now (the requirement for like 98% of schools is a 2:1) unless I do amazing*on the admission tests and accept*going to the only university in the country that'll take me. I do not like academia at all I actually hate it so I don't even want to do a masters or*anything like that to 'help my chances'.

medicine is interesting to me, but so are a lot of things. I do not have a passion for anything at all*and I can’t think of a single career that would ‘fulfil’ me in life. I do still want to do medicine I guess, but my idea of being a doctor is very reductionist because I still have a very juvenile mind—*like being a doctor to me is like being Jack in the tv show Lost lol. but there is no passion for anything. I do not wake up in the morning thinking “wow I really love the respiratory system”, or “omg red blood cells are so fascinating!!” like no it’s not like that I do find human anatomy interesting but it’s not a passion or excitement for it. I often ask myself: if society and capitalism didn’t exist and we all had everything we needed to live etc. then would I pick up a biology/medicine*book? then I think yes I probably would! because I find anatomy interesting like I said, but I wouldn’t be testing myself over it, I wouldn’t undergo academic stress or*start talking about it randomly in my conversations …* I guess I am different to the majority of people who were in my degree who were*actually passionate about the subject and the modules*and would*be reading stuff in their spare time.*

I planned to take a gap year before any further study but even so I do not know what to do now.

it also doesn't help that I also struggle with quite debilitating anxiety and depression currently, so maybe that's what is affecting my "bleak" or "pessimistic" view of life, but actually*I just think I'm being real. and honestly i think only a handful of people actually have a passion or a zest for life anyway, there are lots of people living*monotonous unhappy lives in jobs they dont care about. maybe i just need to wake up and join the rest of them.

You've graduated how are you expecting to get anywhere?
Reply 5
You've graduated how are you expecting to get anywhere?

I don't understand what you're asking
Reply 6
So just from my personal experience, though I am not in the medical field, halfway through my course I too was confused on what I would do next after graduation. Few things that helped me was/ I have seen my friends do:

1. Taking a break (especially since you just graduated) from the studies and even work. Sometimes having time to ourselves to think and reflect for a while can really help. This could be a week break or as long as is practical and financially viable. The gap year decision is really good. I took 1 and a half year's gap to try different things.

2. Try out internship/ short term work roles. I found out niche areas in Economics (which is what I study) that I really love and am good at while doing this.

3. Speak to friends/ mentors/ professors. You could reach out to friend groups and get advice, discuss with professors/ lecturers on future plans etc. For me professors were really helpful since they had long term insights/wisdom on picking careers/ finding interesting areas that are also in demand in the job market

4. Try out volunteer/ charity projects. This can help you gain experince in a new area and also help out your community. Personally for me, its through a volunteer project that I realised that I loved education policy related work.

*Also don't get your hopes down about the 2:2. There are unis that will consider you if you can show interest and how you can make a contribution in research. Plus have seen personally people who become more interested in social work related areas after bioscience/science degrees and then apply for masters (Social work related) after few years of work experience. And they've got into very good schools even with 2:2.

Yah just few tips from my experience

Hope it helps :smile:

Good luck with everything in the future! You'll do great!!
Reply 7

*actually passionate about the subject and the modules*and would*be reading stuff in their spare time.* - sounds like you struggled to be motivated whilst on your degree. Whatever you decide to do in life be enthusiastic about it, as it will come across in interviews, etc.

Get a job in the biomedical sector. You can become a doctor ie PhD not MBChB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending