The Student Room Group

Cambridge ASNC 2021 Applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, this might be a bit of a long shot because this group is a bit old, but I was wondering how any of you found the process of applying/ what you did to prepare? I’d like to apply next year, but I don’t really have a clue about how to approach it, or what the interview would be like - it’s such a small course and it’s difficult to find anyone who knows about it!
Original post by nogoodusersleft
Hi, this might be a bit of a long shot because this group is a bit old, but I was wondering how any of you found the process of applying/ what you did to prepare? I’d like to apply next year, but I don’t really have a clue about how to approach it, or what the interview would be like - it’s such a small course and it’s difficult to find anyone who knows about it!

I personally found the process pretty simple to be honest with you, it was like applying for any other subject (despite what I intitally thought about it being hard to apply for etc). I applied to English Lit elsewhere (except to aberdeen and ucl, which have similar courses to ASNC), and so combined reasons for why I wanted to apply for English Lit with a paragraph that touched on my interests in ASNC (ie: poetry, Old English, language etc), which masqueraded as a part of my englush lit application elsewhere. It depends what you're applying for eslewhere tho about how you might achieve that. Cambridge send you a small extra Cambrdige-sepcific thing in the SAQ for a mini personal statement (its 1000 characters long or smth, only a few sentences), so you can elaborate on your specific interests there a little if you're worried about how to communicate specifics to them. The interview was very relaxed, the interviewers were lovely and they didn;t ask or say anything mean, it was more focused on bringing out interests, seeing the way I thought and having a nice chat. I prepared by making sure that what I put in my personal statement was stuff I actually knew about/had read/genuinely liked so I wouldn't slip up, and refamilarsed myself with thr texts before my interview. Oh, and I read the tain, and some other things about celtic cultures/myths (mostly a few articles) in order to familiarise myself a little in case it came up in interview, but that's about it really. Hope this helps in some way.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by a6thformerofsort
I personally found the process pretty simple to be honest with you, it was like applying for any other subject (despite what I intitally thought about it being hard to apply for etc). I applied to English Lit elsewhere (except to aberdeen and ucl, which have similar courses to ASNC), and so combined reasons for why I wanted to apply for English Lit with a paragraph that touched on my interests in ASNC (ie: poetry, Old English, language etc), which masqueraded as a part of my englush lit application elsewhere. It depends what you're applying for eslewhere tho about how you might achieve that. Cambridge send you a small extra Cambrdige-sepcific thing in the SAQ for a mini personal statement (its 1000 characters long or smth, only a few sentences), so you can elaborate on your specific interests there a little if you're worried about how to communicate specifics to them. The interview was very relaxed, the interviewers were lovely and they didn;t ask or say anything mean, it was more focused on bringing out interests, seeing the way I thought and having a nice chat. I prepared by making sure that what I put in my personal statement was stuff I actually knew about/had read/genuinely liked so I wouldn't slip up, and refamilarsed myself with thr texts before my interview. Oh, and I read the tain, and some other things about celtic cultures/myths (mostly a few articles) in order to familiarise myself a little in case it came up in interview, but that's about it really. Hope this helps in some way.

Thank you! I actually applied for English Lit this year, so I'm familiar with the application process for Cambridge, I'm just not really sure how to spend the summer preparing! Do they generally give you an extract in the exam, or is it more PS-focused? I'm struggling between accepting my English offer this year or reapplying for ASNAC next year, because the course looks so interesting but i'm just not sure if it's worth it because I know so little about the course/what to do beforehand, and I don't want to waste a whole year really
Thank you! I actually applied for English Lit this year, so I'm familiar with the application process for Cambridge, I'm just not really sure how to spend the summer preparing! Do they generally give you an extract in the exam, or is it more PS-focused? I'm struggling between accepting my English offer this year or reapplying for ASNAC next year, because the course looks so interesting but i'm just not sure if it's worth it because I know so little about the course/what to do beforehand, and I don't want to waste a whole year really

there is no exam, it is entirely ps focused. You can also ask your college if you can chage to asnc before the year starts, and i think you can take asnc papers with english as well. I just read personally, looked at the sections of the course that I liked and read up a little on them (just texts like the tain, did some reading around OE history that was interesting) etc,. It was really fine, they say in the vids that they don't expect extra knowledge. I'd say maybe try messaging people at your college/the college services/student interactions things they set up for english lit and talk to them? Probably go with your gut feeling. Better going with your gut then making a head decision you'll regret in your heart
(edited 2 years ago)
there is no exam, it is entirely ps focused. You can also ask your college if you can chage to asnc before the year starts, and i think you can take asnc papers with english as well. I just read personally, looked at the sections of the course that I liked and read up a little on them (just texts like the tain, did some reading around OE history that was interesting) etc,. It was really fine, they say in the vids that they don't expect extra knowledge. I'd say maybe try messaging people at your college/the college services/student interactions things they set up for english lit and talk to them? Probably go with your gut feeling. Better going with your gut then making a head decision you'll regret in your heart

sorry, I meant interview, not exam, my mind is on A-levels at the moment! I didn't get in for English unfortunately, I was rejected from pool, which is why I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the risk reapplying yet (although the issue was my ELAT, which wouldn't be a problem this time). Thank you so much for the advice, I think I'll have to do quite a bit of reading before I decide if it's truly what I'd like to do.
sorry, I meant interview, not exam, my mind is on A-levels at the moment! I didn't get in for English unfortunately, I was rejected from pool, which is why I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the risk reapplying yet (although the issue was my ELAT, which wouldn't be a problem this time). Thank you so much for the advice, I think I'll have to do quite a bit of reading before I decide if it's truly what I'd like to do.

haha, same! good luck witrh a levels! i mean it's all up to whether or not you want to take a gap year, etc. But if you're very unsure if you like it, and are mostly applying bcs you want to get in and asnc looks easier to get into/has no exam, rather than being interested in the subject, I wouldnt recommend reapplying, you dont want to spend money and time on a degree you only half-like. otherwise, go for it! good on you to do research etc! I'm very happy to recommend some books if you want to read for fun/pleasure, (i'm not sure if they are on the reading list but i like em lmao and it will help a lot with finding what you like)
haha, same! good luck witrh a levels! i mean it's all up to whether or not you want to take a gap year, etc. But if you're very unsure if you like it, and are mostly applying bcs you want to get in and asnc looks easier to get into/has no exam, rather than being interested in the subject, I wouldnt recommend reapplying, you dont want to spend money and time on a degree you only half-like. otherwise, go for it! good on you to do research etc! I'm very happy to recommend some books if you want to read for fun/pleasure, (i'm not sure if they are on the reading list but i like em lmao and it will help a lot with finding what you like)

No I’m definitely interested in the subject itself, I was all set for Durham until I discovered it, I’m just a little worried I won’t really be considered for it because I don’t know a great deal about the topic at the moment - although I did do my epq on Beowulf, which was what really interested me. And yes please, if that’s ok, I’ll probably spend my summer making sure I want to apply, so I’ll need to do a lot of reading! And good luck with your exams too, if you’re still doing them!
Reply 227
No I’m definitely interested in the subject itself, I was all set for Durham until I discovered it, I’m just a little worried I won’t really be considered for it because I don’t know a great deal about the topic at the moment - although I did do my epq on Beowulf, which was what really interested me. And yes please, if that’s ok, I’ll probably spend my summer making sure I want to apply, so I’ll need to do a lot of reading! And good luck with your exams too, if you’re still doing them!

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier, if you're deffo certain that you would prefer a more interdisciplinary degree I would recommend reapplying if that's something that you're willing to do. The interview in my opinion requires some prior general knowledge of the period but not too much beyond what could be immediately found in accessible resources. A lot of my interview focussed on my PS and drew on things I had read. And as far as I am aware, in ASNC you may borrow certain English Literature papers in the 2nd and 3rd year(?) So if your interests lie heavily in the medieval period and draw you to the ASNC course, I would go for it and apply. I only realised I wanted to do ASNC after I had written a personal statement for History and suddenly realised my historical interests were purely medieval :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending